PDA

View Full Version : Sync still broken as of 1/18 nightly



Jason
2004-01-18, 16:44
Dean specifically said that sync had been pretty much improved with the 1/17
nightly build and onward.

That is why I made a point of reporting that it was still broken with 1/18.

-----Original Message-----
From: discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
[mailto:discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com] On Behalf Of kdf
Sent: Sunday, January 18, 2004 4:35 PM
To: Slim Devices Discussion
Subject: [slim] Sync still broken as of 1/18 nightly

Quoting Jason <jason (AT) pagefamily (DOT) net>:

> Well in all fairness the internet radio streaming is also an advertised
> feature and probably more people use that than the relatively small number
> of us who have multiple units and want to use synchronization. But I do
> agree that over a month from when I bought it, still not having the synch
> working is getting rather frustrating.

the latest nightly isn't always the latest and greatest. These are
pre-release
builds and do contain test code that may not always work. For eg,
transcoding
became broken after Jan 13, and was only just backed off Jan 19 to work
again
until the issue can be resolved. Sync may have worked at one point, since
Dean
did point out having had some success. Try Jan 12, or a day either side,
and
see if you have better results. Latest build for me, drops off after just
one
song. The earlier builds fare better.

-kdf

kdf
2004-01-18, 16:56
Quoting Jason <jason (AT) pagefamily (DOT) net>:

> Dean specifically said that sync had been pretty much improved with the 1/17
> nightly build and onward.
>
> That is why I made a point of reporting that it was still broken with 1/18.

ah ok, I thought he had said Monday...so I was thinking 12 or 13th.

still, if you wish to try other builds, you may find differences in performance.
I haven't been keeping up with the sync issue lately, so I'm trying to get up
to speed to help if I can. Mainly, want to go through and make sure nothign
I've contributed lately has caused problems with sync that I wasn't aware of.

thanks,
kdf

Dean Mullin
2004-01-18, 17:04
FWIW, I purchased 3 squeezes with the sync feature being a major
selling point. Do people who purchase multiple units count as
multiple users/customers :) To my knowledge sync has never worked
reliably in any of the builds. I wish I could go back to the initial
release and have sync work, but that is not the case.

Perhaps the number of messages in this thread will help the issue get
resolved :)



On Jan 18, 2004, at 3:44 PM, Jason wrote:

> Dean specifically said that sync had been pretty much improved with
> the 1/17
> nightly build and onward.
>
> That is why I made a point of reporting that it was still broken with
> 1/18.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
> [mailto:discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com] On Behalf Of kdf
> Sent: Sunday, January 18, 2004 4:35 PM
> To: Slim Devices Discussion
> Subject: [slim] Sync still broken as of 1/18 nightly
>
> Quoting Jason <jason (AT) pagefamily (DOT) net>:
>
>> Well in all fairness the internet radio streaming is also an
>> advertised
>> feature and probably more people use that than the relatively small
>> number
>> of us who have multiple units and want to use synchronization. But I
>> do
>> agree that over a month from when I bought it, still not having the
>> synch
>> working is getting rather frustrating.
>
> the latest nightly isn't always the latest and greatest. These are
> pre-release
> builds and do contain test code that may not always work. For eg,
> transcoding
> became broken after Jan 13, and was only just backed off Jan 19 to work
> again
> until the issue can be resolved. Sync may have worked at one point,
> since
> Dean
> did point out having had some success. Try Jan 12, or a day either
> side,
> and
> see if you have better results. Latest build for me, drops off after
> just
> one
> song. The earlier builds fare better.
>
> -kdf
>

kdf
2004-01-18, 17:10
Quoting Dean Mullin <deanmullin (AT) mac (DOT) com>:

> FWIW, I purchased 3 squeezes with the sync feature being a major
> selling point. Do people who purchase multiple units count as
> multiple users/customers :) To my knowledge sync has never worked
> reliably in any of the builds. I wish I could go back to the initial
> release and have sync work, but that is not the case.
>
> Perhaps the number of messages in this thread will help the issue get
> resolved :)
>
>
>
> On Jan 18, 2004, at 3:44 PM, Jason wrote:
>
> > Dean specifically said that sync had been pretty much improved with
> > the 1/17
> > nightly build and onward.
> >
> > That is why I made a point of reporting that it was still broken with
> > 1/18.
> >
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
> > [mailto:discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com] On Behalf Of kdf
> > Sent: Sunday, January 18, 2004 4:35 PM
> > To: Slim Devices Discussion
> > Subject: [slim] Sync still broken as of 1/18 nightly
> >
> > Quoting Jason <jason (AT) pagefamily (DOT) net>:
> >
> >> Well in all fairness the internet radio streaming is also an
> >> advertised
> >> feature and probably more people use that than the relatively small
> >> number
> >> of us who have multiple units and want to use synchronization. But I
> >> do
> >> agree that over a month from when I bought it, still not having the
> >> synch
> >> working is getting rather frustrating.
> >
> > the latest nightly isn't always the latest and greatest. These are
> > pre-release
> > builds and do contain test code that may not always work. For eg,
> > transcoding
> > became broken after Jan 13, and was only just backed off Jan 19 to work
> > again
> > until the issue can be resolved. Sync may have worked at one point,
> > since
> > Dean
> > did point out having had some success. Try Jan 12, or a day either
> > side,
> > and
> > see if you have better results. Latest build for me, drops off after
> > just
> > one
> > song. The earlier builds fare better.
> >
> > -kdf
> >

kdf
2004-01-18, 17:13
Quoting Dean Mullin <deanmullin (AT) mac (DOT) com>:

> FWIW, I purchased 3 squeezes with the sync feature being a major
> selling point. Do people who purchase multiple units count as
> multiple users/customers :) To my knowledge sync has never worked
> reliably in any of the builds. I wish I could go back to the initial
> release and have sync work, but that is not the case.
>
> Perhaps the number of messages in this thread will help the issue get
> resolved :)

probably not. Its being worked on, and has always been on the priority list.
Like any software, it gets done when it works. FWIW, I have Jan 12 nightly
working now with squeezebox and slimp3. I had to wipe the conf file and start
anew, but it seems to be working. Unfortunately, things that work in the lab,
dont always seem to stay that way in the wild :)

-kdf

dean
2004-01-19, 09:42
I'm really sorry that sync isn't working for you reliably. The
challenge is that it's working fine here for me and I'm having trouble
breaking it.

I'll continue to work on it today...

On Jan 18, 2004, at 4:04 PM, Dean Mullin wrote:

> FWIW, I purchased 3 squeezes with the sync feature being a major
> selling point. Do people who purchase multiple units count as
> multiple users/customers :) To my knowledge sync has never worked
> reliably in any of the builds. I wish I could go back to the initial
> release and have sync work, but that is not the case.
>
> Perhaps the number of messages in this thread will help the issue get
> resolved :)
>
>
>
> On Jan 18, 2004, at 3:44 PM, Jason wrote:
>
>> Dean specifically said that sync had been pretty much improved with
>> the 1/17
>> nightly build and onward.
>>
>> That is why I made a point of reporting that it was still broken with
>> 1/18.
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
>> [mailto:discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com] On Behalf Of kdf
>> Sent: Sunday, January 18, 2004 4:35 PM
>> To: Slim Devices Discussion
>> Subject: [slim] Sync still broken as of 1/18 nightly
>>
>> Quoting Jason <jason (AT) pagefamily (DOT) net>:
>>
>>> Well in all fairness the internet radio streaming is also an
>>> advertised
>>> feature and probably more people use that than the relatively small
>>> number
>>> of us who have multiple units and want to use synchronization. But
>>> I do
>>> agree that over a month from when I bought it, still not having the
>>> synch
>>> working is getting rather frustrating.
>>
>> the latest nightly isn't always the latest and greatest. These are
>> pre-release
>> builds and do contain test code that may not always work. For eg,
>> transcoding
>> became broken after Jan 13, and was only just backed off Jan 19 to
>> work
>> again
>> until the issue can be resolved. Sync may have worked at one point,
>> since
>> Dean
>> did point out having had some success. Try Jan 12, or a day either
>> side,
>> and
>> see if you have better results. Latest build for me, drops off after
>> just
>> one
>> song. The earlier builds fare better.
>>
>> -kdf
>>

kdf
2004-01-19, 10:49
Quoting dean blackketter <dean (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com>:

> I'm really sorry that sync isn't working for you reliably. The
> challenge is that it's working fine here for me and I'm having trouble
> breaking it.
>
> I'll continue to work on it today...
>

Dean,
I am definately having issues with sync. would logs help? --d_http, -d_sync,
-d_source, -d_slimproto, all of the above?

The only obvious sign I've seen for my system is when teh sync fails, the -d_syc
debug showed that the two clients were ready, with full buffers. Then when
unpaused, one of them suddenly dropped to 0% fullness, with 0 chunks. THe other
was getting 15, full buffer. Nether were outputting any audio after that. I
doubt that helps a whole lot, but if you have a specific log that might, I 'll
send it tonight.

-kdf