work alright but after adding some more albums to my iTunes and
rescanning my slim service I have a problem with my albums. On
several of my albums, rather than showing all of the songs under the
same album name, it created multiple albums with same name each of
which contain only the songs within the album by the same artist. For
example, with 70 artists on one album, I end up with 70 different
albums with the same name but containing Ray Charles songs in one and
so on. I have checked the new albums with get info and see no
difference between these albums and others that catalog properly.
Anyone got any ideas or had similar problems
Ralph

Empgamer
2007-10-03, 00:41
I had similar problems with some album rips a few days ago. Down to the tagging of the tracks I believe. Not sure what you used to rip them but I got round it by editing the tracks in a block and amending the 'album artist' part to read 'Various Artists', leaving the 'artist' label (e.g. track artist) as it was. This worked for me and after a re-scan bunched all those tracks up under the one album name.

Hope this helps.

moley6knipe
2007-10-03, 04:21
The "correct" way to tell SS that an album is a compilation, as I understand it, is put all of the tracks into one folder, for example...

F:\music\compilations\best of cumbrian tight throat singing\

..if you store the songs artist\album...

F:\music\compilations\skell nonch\best of cumbrian tight throat singing\

F:\music\compilations\erk dre\best of cumbrian tight throat singing\

...then SS doesn't know they're from the same album, even if the tags are exactly the same.

vrobin
2007-10-03, 04:36
The "correct" way to tell SS that an album is a compilation, as I understand it, is put all of the tracks into one folder, for example...
F:\music\compilations\erk dre\best of cumbrian tight throat singing\

...then SS doesn't know they're from the same album, even if the tags are exactly the same.

I don't have it exactly, but it's much more complicated and subtle than this.

Several files in different folders with the same album title can be considered the same album. The "disk number" is also used for multi-disk album. If someone can explain this in details, we could now the absolute truth about this ;).

slimpy
2007-10-03, 05:24
The easiest way to have compilaton albums displayed properly is to put all files in the same directory.
You cannot just assume that a common album title is sufficient to group tracks from different directories together. I have three albums called "The Antidote" by three different artists that I want to keep as seperate albums in SS!

SS also groups tracks together if they are in different directories but have a common album title and the discnumber tag set. This behaviour has nothing to do with compilations however. It is intended to present multi disc albums as one single album where each disc is in its own subdirectory. I think you need to have "Treat multi-disc sets as single album" set for this to work.
This behaviour could be abused for compilations. If someone wants to try: Set the discnumber tag on all tracks to 1, rescan and see if it is recognized as one album.

It seems that a common albumartist and album tag on tracks in different directories also groups them together (as reported by Empgamer). Personally I wouldn't recommend this solution if there isn't actually a valid album artist. "Various artist" isn't an artist really, is it?

-s.

Empgamer
2007-10-03, 06:40
From what I can gather though (testing this out across a number of players etc) 'Album Artist' need rarely be used generally but if it is I tend to opt for the same as as the Artist (e.g. David Bowie) where each track is by the same artist throughout. Where the album comprises multiple tracks by different artists though the use of Various Artists, in the Album Artist field ONLY works fine for me, the individual artist is still tagged, and therefore searchable, in the Artist field. Using this approach I can search either the album name in album view (in a variety of players) and for individual artists by track. I would not use Various Artists under both fields (Album Artist and Artist) as this effectively deletes who the actual artist is and there is no way of finding the info on screen then (did this a few times when experimenting with options). This approach uses Various Artists as well as, not instead of, Artist as a means on bunching multi artist album tracks together properly. I use dBpowerAMP Reference to rip CDs in FLAC and iTunes (once converted) to play MP3s on the Ipod. Both of these give access to the editing you need to do for this (DBPA upon ripping and iTunes in the Get Info field). I find Foobar a fairly good player to show whether I've made a pigs ear of my tagging :-)

Anyway, that solution works for me, not sure what what problems there might be with it?