PDA

View Full Version : Dumb newbie question about plugins

Ashy72
2007-10-02, 11:13
Hi folks,

Do the plugins work with linux straight from the plugins download pages or do they have special linux downloads.

For reference i have the following plugins installed on my Windows XP system which i would like to have on a prospective silent linux pc. Then run SS headless on the linux pc.

Here they are:-

Remove played tracks, Multilibrary, CustomBrowse., Bookmarks 2.0,Dynamic Playlists, Lazy Search, MusicinfoScr, SQL Playlists, Trackstat and AlienBBC.
I would like all of these on my linux machine if this is possible.

Thanks, Mark.

snarlydwarf
2007-10-02, 11:26
Those should all work: I don't know the specifics of AlienBBC (you need to install mplayer, I think), but the rest are just plain old Zip files that would be unzipped in (usually) /usr/share/slimserver/Plugins.

Ashy72
2007-10-02, 11:47
Thanks SnarlyDwarf thats excellent news i couldnt live without some of these plugins.

bpa
2007-10-02, 12:12
mplayer is needed by AlienBBC to transcode RealAudio. If your Linux is a mainstream distro on an x86 system then there will be no problem, with another distro or non x86 processor (e.g. ppc, arm, mipsel) you may need to build your own version of mplayer.

There may be some other transcoding "gotchas" (e.g. WMA lossless, AAC) which will require additional applications especially if your Linux is not an x86 system.

What format are your files and what player do you have ?

Ashy72
2007-10-02, 12:48
mplayer is needed by AlienBBC to transcode RealAudio. If your Linux is a mainstream distro on an x86 system then there will be no problem, with another distro or non x86 processor (e.g. ppc, arm, mipsel) you may need to build your own version of mplayer.

There may be some other transcoding "gotchas" (e.g. WMA lossless, AAC) which will require additional applications especially if your Linux is not an x86 system.

What format are your files and what player do you have ?

I am interested in getting a VIA EPIA ML6000E which has an x86 processor. My file formats are MP3 and FLAC. I have a squeezebox3.

bpa
2007-10-02, 12:54
There should be no problem with the VIA chip except you must use at least mplayer 1.0rc1. The earlier versions have problems with VIA processors.