PDA

View Full Version : Long Rescan Time Or Not?

Ashy72
2007-10-02, 08:31
Hello everybody,

I have an AMD Sempron 2600+ With 1.25Gb Ram installed.
Slimserver 6.5.4.

Doing a clear library and rescan everything for about 7000 tracks takes my computer about 40 minutes, is it meant to take that long for this number of tracks? I do have a lot of playlist files also (472) most are just playlists for all the individual albums i have and some are playlists i have compiled myself.

The reason i am asking this is that i may soon have a silent itx linux machine to serve slimserver ( 600Mhz Processor 512Mb Ram Running XUbuntu) if my main machine takes this long what would the same scan take on the linux machine?

If anyone knows how to shorten my scan time that would be great.

Any help would be gratefully received.

pfarrell
2007-10-02, 20:08
What OS are you running?

Scanning can take a fair length of time. Its more disk speed throttled than CPU.

The standard tricks can help, such as having the OS and MySql on one disk with the music on others. Or even OS on one, MySql on another and music on three or four more. At least put the music and database on different IDE controllers.

I don't have as many playlists as you, but have about 750 albums (not many single tracks) and it takes a while. I usually do it at night, or kick it off as I go to dinner, and its done when I'm back.

Ashy72
2007-10-03, 02:15
What OS are you running?

Scanning can take a fair length of time. Its more disk speed throttled than CPU.

The standard tricks can help, such as having the OS and MySql on one disk with the music on others. Or even OS on one, MySql on another and music on three or four more. At least put the music and database on different IDE controllers.

I don't have as many playlists as you, but have about 750 albums (not many single tracks) and it takes a while. I usually do it at night, or kick it off as I go to dinner, and its done when I'm back.

Thanks Pat, I have Windows XP and slimserver Mysql on my c: drive
and my music and playlists on F: drive. I am stuck with keeping the drives on the same IDE controller unfortunately. Looks like my system is set up as best it can be, i will do the same and scan when i am busy elsewhere and come back to it later.

Mark Lanctot
2007-10-04, 10:04
Do you really need the playlists that point to albums? SlimServer can play whole albums at a time without having to resort to a playlist.

When SS encounters a playlist, it will follow the reference to each and every file referenced in the playlist. This is unnecessarily increasing the rescan time.

My library is a little more than half the size of yours (~4500 tracks). Recans when I was running Windows were on the order of 3-4 minutes or so. SS rescans faster on Linux, at least twice as fast.

Even a rescan over a 100 MB network to a samba share takes 10 minutes.

Ashy72
2007-10-04, 11:05
Do you really need the playlists that point to albums? SlimServer can play whole albums at a time without having to resort to a playlist.

When SS encounters a playlist, it will follow the reference to each and every file referenced in the playlist. This is unnecessarily increasing the rescan time.

My library is a little more than half the size of yours (~4500 tracks). Recans when I was running Windows were on the order of 3-4 minutes or so. SS rescans faster on Linux, at least twice as fast.

Even a rescan over a 100 MB network to a samba share takes 10 minutes.

Thanks Mark, you've cut my scan time down by at least half now. I have deleted all playlists pointing to albums. Also i had playlists with names for artists like Madonna-All, With about ten albums in here this was adding also to scan times. I will just have to work a little differently from now on. E.g. use Albums to play albums, search by artist to play all songs by an artist, simple really. The album playlists are created by default when i rip an album using MYMP3-Pro. I will delete these from now on. I did a scan of my remaining playlists (about 20) and it takes 3 minutes. I have a silent pc on its way to me soon, i will be running Ubuntu 7.04 and Samba with slimserver headless on it.It's not the fastest of machines Via Epia 6000 ML 512Mb ram 600Mhz CPU, got it second hand. If this is going to be faster than windows at scanning i am going to be well happy.

Cheers, Ashy

Mark Lanctot
2007-10-04, 11:23
I'm glad I was able to help!

The album playlists are created by default when i rip an album using MYMP3-Pro. I will delete these from now on.

Is there an option in the program to turn this function off? EAC does the same thing but there's an option to turn it off.

I have a silent pc on its way to me soon, i will be running Ubuntu 7.04 and Samba with slimserver headless on it.It's not the fastest of machines Via Epia 6000 ML 512Mb ram 600Mhz CPU, got it second hand. If this is going to be faster than windows at scanning i am going to be well happy.

That has been my experience going from Windows XP to Ubuntu 7.04 for sure. Rescanning is dictated mostly by disc I/O speed, which won't be substantially different in Linux, but the consensus was that perl runs faster/better on Linux. (SlimServer and the scanner are written in perl.)

I assume the music library will reside on an internal drive in the new machine? If so then yes, you should drop your rescan times. If the music library is on the network there may still be some improvement but perhaps not as much.

Ashy72
2007-10-04, 11:51
I'm glad I was able to help!

Is there an option in the program to turn this function off? EAC does the same thing but there's an option to turn it off.

That has been my experience going from Windows XP to Ubuntu 7.04 for sure. Rescanning is dictated mostly by disc I/O speed, which won't be substantially different in Linux, but the consensus was that perl runs faster/better on Linux. (SlimServer and the scanner are written in perl.)

I assume the music library will reside on an internal drive in the new machine? If so then yes, you should drop your rescan times. If the music library is on the network there may still be some improvement but perhaps not as much.

I havn't found the option to disable creating a playlist yet, if there is one its well hidden.

Yes the music will reside probably on a 160Gb 2.5" ultra quiet disk, Spin speed is only 5400rpm though, perhaps there's an issue here with poor disc I/O speed here. What do you think?

Mark Lanctot
2007-10-04, 11:56
Yes the music will reside probably on a 160Gb 2.5" ultra quiet disk, Spin speed is only 5400rpm though, perhaps there's an issue here with poor disc I/O speed here. What do you think?

Mmm, yeah, laptop drives are notoriously slow. There will be an impact unfortunately.

But still, if I can rescan 4500 tracks over a 100 Mbps network using samba (which limited speeds to 50 Mbps in tests I did) in 10 minutes then you'll be in a much better position than that, even with 7000 tracks.

Ashy72
2007-10-04, 12:10
Mmm, yeah, laptop drives are notoriously slow. There will be an impact unfortunately.

But still, if I can rescan 4500 tracks over a 100 Mbps network using samba (which limited speeds to 50 Mbps in tests I did) in 10 minutes then you'll be in a much better position than that, even with 7000 tracks.

I know this is a little off topic but with samba do you actually see on the windows pc screen a view of the GUI for the linux pc when you are using samba. I know i have to install it for file transfers between the desktop pc and the headless server pc. I say this because ideally i will want a way of remotely controlling the headless server and starting slimserver etc. If not what do you use? I am trying to get as clued up about this as i can before the server pc is delivered. I even have Linux for dummies book on my desk. I must say some of the command line stuff is hard to learn. I will be relying mainly on a GUI until i get comfortable with command line.

Mark Lanctot
2007-10-04, 12:22
No, all samba does is make Linux drives appear as Windows Networking drives to Windows machines.

You are looking for something like TightVNC, OpenVNC, VNC, etc. It worked like a charm when I tried it between two Windows machines, but I can't get it working between my Ubuntu 7.04 PC and my Windows laptop - seems to be some sort of Linux security issue. There is a proprietary program out there that is free for both Windows and Linux. I thought it was called no-MX or something, but that's not it.

At any rate, once you get SS and samba up and running, Linux does not need regular attention. And SS does not have a GUI in Linux anyway - there is no "slimtray", it's all either through the remotely-accessible web interface or through the CLI. To start:

sudo /etc/init.d/slimserver start

though SlimServer should start on its own by default. To stop:

sudo /etc/init.d/slimserver stop

To restart, you guessed it:

sudo /etc/init.d/slimserver restart

When you go to upgrade SlimServer, it will obviously take more than this. You can probably just VNC into the GUI, although this can be done from the command-line.

Yes, the Linux command-line seems intimidating at first, but there's not too much you need to do here to get samba and SS running, plus each process has precise step-by-step guides that work.

Ashy72
2007-10-04, 12:44
No, all samba does is make Linux drives appear as Windows Networking drives to Windows machines.

You are looking for something like TightVNC, OpenVNC, VNC, etc. It worked like a charm when I tried it between two Windows machines, but I can't get it working between my Ubuntu 7.04 PC and my Windows laptop - seems to be some sort of Linux security issue. There is a proprietary program out there that is free for both Windows and Linux. I thought it was called no-MX or something, but that's not it.

At any rate, once you get SS and samba up and running, Linux does not need regular attention. And SS does not have a GUI in Linux anyway - there is no "slimtray", it's all either through the remotely-accessible web interface or through the CLI. To start:

sudo /etc/init.d/slimserver start

though SlimServer should start on its own by default. To stop:

sudo /etc/init.d/slimserver stop

To restart, you guessed it:

sudo /etc/init.d/slimserver restart

When you go to upgrade SlimServer, it will obviously take more than this. You can probably just VNC into the GUI, although this can be done from the command-line.

Yes, the Linux command-line seems intimidating at first, but there's not too much you need to do here to get samba and SS running, plus each process has precise step-by-step guides that work.

Thanks for all those commands ive noted them for when the pc arrives.

You are looking for something like TightVNC, OpenVNC, VNC, etc. It worked like a charm when I tried it between two Windows machines, but I can't get it working between my Ubuntu 7.04 PC and my Windows laptop

I may be wrong but i think i saw somewhere on the linux forum that VNC doesnt work for windows XP Home Only Xp Pro.

There is a proprietary program out there that is free for both Windows and Linux. I thought it was called no-MX or something, but that's not it.

I think you may be on about NX Remote control, this indeed has an install client for windows and three packages for linux to install (server,client and node). This is what i'm going to use hopefully. Maybe you could give it a go if you need it and let me know how it is before i get the chance to install it! We have got postal strikes in the UK just my luck ive probably got to wait around a week now for my pc to arrive.

Mark Lanctot
2007-10-04, 12:52
I may be wrong but i think i saw somewhere on the linux forum that VNC doesnt work for windows XP Home Only Xp Pro.

You can only do Remote Desktop on Windows XP Pro. However I don't know if Microsoft Remote Desktop is the same thing as VNC. At any rate, TightVNC worked just fine on Windows XP Home.

I think you may be on about NX Remote control, this indeed has an install client for windows and three packages for linux to install (server,client and node). This is what i'm going to use hopefully. Maybe you could give it a go if you need it and let me know how it is before i get the chance to install it!

Yes, that's it! I might just play around with it, although things are rather busy at the moment.

Ashy72
2007-10-04, 13:04
You can only do Remote Desktop on Windows XP Pro. However I don't know if Microsoft Remote Desktop is the same thing as VNC. At any rate, TightVNC worked just fine on Windows XP Home.

Yes, that's it! I might just play around with it, although things are rather busy at the moment.

Thanks a lot for all your help Mark its much appreciated, i will let you get on with whatever you are doing for now!

Cheers Ashy.

Mark Lanctot
2007-10-04, 14:44
Got NX Remote up. Since I'm using x86_64, I followed this guide:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=493983

to install on my big machine and the client on my Windows laptop.

Well, it works! I liked TightVNC better, it was lighter, faster, easier to configure and it worked better, but ah well, it works.

pfarrell
2007-10-04, 14:50
Just to reinforce what Mark is saying. You will find you don't need a GUI to the server running SlimServer.

There is no monitor on my SlimServer linux box. I never touch it, except to add new drives. It runs.

I rip music on another machine and just copy the files to the Samba disk. Rescan via the web interface, and you are done.

Ashy72
2007-10-05, 02:30
Got NX Remote up. Since I'm using x86_64, I followed this guide:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=493983

to install on my big machine and the client on my Windows laptop.

Well, it works! I liked TightVNC better, it was lighter, faster, easier to configure and it worked better, but ah well, it works.

Thanks for trying it out for me, but now i am thinking perhaps i should use TightVNC especially if its easier to configure and works better.

Mark Lanctot
2007-10-05, 05:27
Thanks for trying it out for me, but now i am thinking perhaps i should use TightVNC especially if its easier to configure and works better.

Unfortunately my statement was based on TightVNC in a 100% Windows environment. The Ubuntu forums are full of problems trying to get it to run on Ubuntu though, so I wasn't the only one.

Ashy72
2007-10-05, 08:36
Unfortunately my statement was based on TightVNC in a 100% Windows environment. The Ubuntu forums are full of problems trying to get it to run on Ubuntu though, so I wasn't the only one.

Many thanks for letting me know, I will use Nx then.