PDA

View Full Version : Wireless SB3 keeps crashing

Philip Meyer
2007-10-01, 01:45
My SB3 wireless connection has become unuseable. When I try to stream music (any bitrate), it frequently resets (I'm lucky if it makes it through a couple of songs before resetting).

I usually hear a short burst of static noise interrupt the music and then the screen will go blank. Sometimes it will naturally come back up in power off mode, but most of the time it is unresponsive even to a press-and-hold power button, so I have to pull the power lead out of the back.

On a couple of occasions I've seen the screen go crazy - thin strips containing partial text scrolling across the display before it resets.

I thought that perhaps it was just my wireless channel/frequency (there are a lot of wireless networks now in my area), but I've tried several channels that I know are not in use and seen good signal strengths and bandwidth, and also tried moving the SB3 closer to my router. My SB2 is fine in the same location.

I have just tried the SB3 connected via ethernet to the router, and there haven't been any problems after several songs (1/2 hour).

I've opened the unit up to see if I could spot any obvious faults, but everything looks in order.

Maybe there is a different wireless card in the SB3 that doesn't work too well with my wireless router (LinkSys WAG54GX2)? I've had a few issues with the connection in the past, but it certainly seems worse now.

I'm in the UK - what options have I got for getting it fixed? The unit will be out of warranty.

SlimServer Version: 6.5.5 - TRUNK - Windows XP
Firmware 81

Phil

Philip Meyer
2007-10-03, 12:50
>My SB3 wireless connection has become unuseable. When I try to stream music (any bitrate), it frequently resets (I'm lucky if it makes it through a couple of songs before resetting).

I had no response here, so emailed support. I tried resetting to factory defaults, and I have also tried a wired connection and still experience resets and loss of power or stalling between track transitions.

Support suggest I should therefore send it back to them for repair (out of warranty cost: $90, plus shipping).

I was wondering if there were any UK sources for repairs (I thought being part of Logitech was meant to provide better support in this area). I don't want to RMA it for SlimDevices to not find a fault (there could be a problem with compatibility with my router, which support haven't got).

So I'm thinking that I'll persevere a bit longer with fault-finding. I might try replacing socketwrapper.exe (if that would have any effect), and removing all plugins. I'm not expecting to find anything that is causing the problem, as the SB2 works perfectly.

It's almost worth buying a new unit, and ebaying the old one.

Phil

snarlydwarf
2007-10-03, 15:39
Is it a full reset, like a poweroff?

Try using the wallwart from the SB2 and see if that makes it work... perhaps something died in the SB3's wallwart that makes it unstable. If that fixes it, it isn't hard to find a replacement.

Since you see the same thing wired and wireless, I wouldn't blame the router or wireless: wired ethernet is pretty well understood and router makers would have to work hard to screw it up to make things break, and since it is the same on an SB2 and SB3, I wouldn't expect a compatability problem.

Mark Lanctot
2007-10-03, 16:01
I believe I read more than a couple of reports of this sort of behaviour occurring when the wireless card is starting to work loose. Yes, it will impact operation even wired.

Philip Meyer
2007-10-04, 01:02
>I believe I read more than a couple of reports of this sort of behaviour
>occurring when the wireless card is starting to work loose. Yes, it
>will impact operation even wired.

That's what I remember reading somewhere too. I may as well try opening the unit up and pushing a bit on the connectors, but they looked securely attached. Maybe I'll post a picture so someone can tell me if it looks right?

Phil

Mark Lanctot
2007-10-04, 05:30
I don't think it will look any different, because there's obviously intermittent contact.

I haven't seen a comprehensive series of photos of the internals of an SB3 but it's an SB2 in a different form factor, so see http://www.slimdevices.com/photos/inside_squeezebox2/9.jpg for the wireless card and mini-PCI slot.

I think the SB3 uses a newer PCI card that may be 100% shielded, and it's not an Atheros reference card.