PDA

View Full Version : Can SB do a "party mode"

thekirbyfake
2007-09-30, 18:16
As per title, can SB do a party mode? i.e. all SBs playing the same song at the same time?

If so, can it be controlled via a PSP skin?

ChrisNY
2007-09-30, 20:06
Yes, if you use the synchronize function you can synchronize as many as you'd like. Synchronize functions are found under Player Settings/Audio.

pfarrell
2007-09-30, 20:43
I thought "party mode" was picking music that would make everybody dance. If the SB could do that, I'd be even more impressed.

thekirbyfake
2007-10-01, 01:28
Yes, if you use the synchronize function you can synchronize as many as you'd like. Synchronize functions are found under Player Settings/Audio.
I should have explained, I don't actually have my SB yet (currently weighing up SB vs Sonos). I'm planning on having a QNAP/SB set up and will rarely have my PC/laptop on whilst listening to music so 90% of my control will be done via the remote or a PSP.

Is the synchronise (note the spelling, I'm English ;) ) function available to the remote or PSP?

Basically the remote side of things vs Sonos is the only thing stopping me placing my order.

I thought "party mode" was picking music that would make everybody dance. If the SB could do that, I'd be even more impressed.
On that note does anyone know of the 3rd party plugin that can mix tunes knowing their bpm?

JimC
2007-10-01, 18:59
I should have explained, I don't actually have my SB yet (currently weighing up SB vs Sonos). I'm planning on having a QNAP/SB set up and will rarely have my PC/laptop on whilst listening to music so 90% of my control will be done via the remote or a PSP.

Is the synchronise (note the spelling, I'm English ;) ) function available to the remote or PSP?

Basically the remote side of things vs Sonos is the only thing stopping me placing my order.

On that note does anyone know of the 3rd party plugin that can mix tunes knowing their bpm?

Yes, synchronize is available through the web interface, as well as the player interface. So if you're running the SS interface on your PSP (or Nokia 770/800, or whatever), you can sync players pretty easily.

I don't know of any plugins that create mixes based on BPM, but if one exists, I'm sure someone will point it out here.

-=> Jim

funkstar
2007-10-02, 01:59
Just a not on syncing SBs. This has been massively improved in the next version of SlimServer (now known as SqueezeCenter).

With 6.5.x it works pretty well if all the SBs are hard wired as opposed to wireless and you are using a native file format (MP3 or FLAC for instance) but it has been a criticism for a long time.

SC7 is in Beta at the moment, but is pretty stable and works well. I don't know what the time line is for completion, but i can't imagine it would be too long now.