PDA

View Full Version : remote is a little promiscuous!

OffBeatMammal
2007-09-29, 21:42
much to my initial amusement, then subsequent frustration, I've discovered thast my squeezebox remote also tries to control my dvd player :(

as they're in the same room it's a little annoying to hit play for slim and have the dvd wake up and eject the current disc!

is it possible to set the slim to operate on different protocols (?) to avoid such a clash?

I've been using my UMPC as a remote (still looking for a really good fat finger UI for the 7" screen) but that's overkill (not to mention tough on the family when I'm out!)

Richie
2007-09-29, 23:23
> is it possible to set the slim to operate on different protocols (?) to
> avoid such a clash?

It is possible to set the Squeezebox to interpret different protocols,
see the Player Settings / Remote page. You can also change what IR
commands the Sqeezebox responds to, see this page Home / Technical
Information / Help / Button Mapping

Unfortunately, it is not possible to change the signals that that the
remote emits so I think you are stuck without a little work or cash.

Over the last couple of years I have seen a couple of people ask the
same question so hopefully they might chime in with a suggestion. The
only options I can think of is to get a universal remote and pick a
completely different set of IR signals to control the Squeezbox so
that they don't interfere with your DVD player, or buy a new DVD
player.

Richard

Secret Squirrel
2007-09-30, 07:46
much to my initial amusement, then subsequent frustration, I've discovered thast my squeezebox remote also tries to control my dvd player :(

as they're in the same room it's a little annoying to hit play for slim and have the dvd wake up and eject the current disc!

is it possible to set the slim to operate on different protocols (?) to avoid such a clash?

I've been using my UMPC as a remote (still looking for a really good fat finger UI for the 7" screen) but that's overkill (not to mention tough on the family when I'm out!)

Did you happen to try to turn off the "jvc_dvd" switch in the Remote page of your Player settings? If not, give it a try.

HTH,

SS

Richie
2007-09-30, 08:19
> Did you happen to try to turn off the "jvc_dvd" switch in the Remote
> page of your Player settings? If not, give it a try.
>

That will change the IR signals the Squeezebox responds to. It will
not change the signals the Slim/Logitech remote sends out. That might
have helped if the Squeezebox was responding to the DVD player remote
but in this case it won't help.

Richard

OffBeatMammal
2007-09-30, 16:50
thanks guys - looks like the LG DVD player is being a little naughty and getting carried away. Shame they don't have a setting to "fix" the remote

I have a Logitech Harmony so could dig it out, charge it up and try to get everything playing nice but I've disappointed in that piece of kit (I suspect some of my frustration comes from the legacy nature of the IR remotes... the devices don't "share" status so no matter how clever the remote is it has to assume a current status!)

The PC solution is working okay at the moment in place of the remote... hopefully Jive will make it all better ;)

dwc
2007-10-02, 13:00
One of the buttons on my Squeezebox remote also wakes up my Harman Kardon DVD 31 player.

If only there was also some button on the SB remote to turn the DVD player back off again!