PDA

View Full Version : Yet another first impressions thread - oreillymj

oreillymj
2007-09-28, 02:13
This is going to be a pretty long post as I want to give you as much feedback as possible. I'll keep updating this thread with my experience of newer updates if that's okay.

FW version 578

Out of box impressions.
Hardware looks nice. Easy to set up. I plugged in the cradle (but didn't realise that the wall socket was switched off). So a LED (blue) on the base when the unit is powered & charging would be nice although others might disagree. I left the unit for an hour and thought it was charged, but it only had the residual charge from the battery. Oh and I don't mind the battery cover being tight. When am I ever going to open the door once it's in daily use, not doing regular FW updates? I don't know if the SD slot is a permanent feature that will support local music stored on the card, but if it's not, then the unit "could" be sealed like an iPod. But that is not environmentally friendly. I'd much prefer to be able to replace a dead battery myself, then send the unit off.

The control is really nice and minimalist, but I miss repeat/shuffle buttons. The wheel is nice but looks a bit odd (I can't articulate what it is that's "missing" looks wise). I would like some tactile feedback from the wheel as I turn it. I find that I often skip down 2 menu items at a time ss I can't "feel" that I've turned the wheel enough and over compensate. This is also due to visual lag. The default scroll click really grates and it is too loud. I've only found the on/off option, not sound effect volume. Sorry but I much prefer the iPod style click sound. Someone using the remote a lot in the same room with me would really annoy me with the current click sound at it's default volume. It's more of a machine gun rat-tat-tat, then a click.

Set up was easy. I didn't think the WEP key input was that bad, especially as it's only done once. Not much more to say. It was setup within minutes, but I did need to log into my router to get the key. Not much Slim can do about this, but routers provided by the monopoly ISP here in Ireland come locked down with WEP by default. Most novice users wouldn't have a notion on how to find the WEP key on them. A help page with countries/ISP & the routers they provide and instructions on how to get the WEP would be a very useful tool for these users.

As a thank you for the H/W, I will document how to find the WEP using the standard I.P. assigned to routers by Eircom in Ireland if you think that's worthwhile. You could build up a support encyclopedia.

Testing
While setting up Slimserver7, my control "went to sleep". Pressing the Home/power button would not revive it. After a lot of mucking around, I discovered that battery was low / the cradle hadn't been on, but a low power "distress" beep a la mobile phones would have given me the impression that something was wrong. I just thought that I'd killed the unit.
I left the remote on a desk and went to bed last night. It was dead this morning. Maybe I didn't charge it enough (although the battery guage was full after 1.5hrs), but I would hope that the remote could hiberate and last several days between charges. I also don't mind the screen going off completely after a timeout to save power, reduce distraction in a living room.

Navigation
Long lists need to be broken up. I have >1000 artists in my library. Scrolling down to K (for Kasabian) nearly burnt out the wheel ;-)
So Browse by Artist should bring up a horizontal alphabet along the top with a magnifying glass over the selected letter, kinda like the WEP entry screen, but horizontal. Hit the center button and it shows everything by that artist.

I would have liked the HOME menu to have contained
Select player
Controller settings,
... rather than have the control settings mixed in with the player settings. Others might disagree, maybe I'm too used to the may SS6.x works. Maybe use the current layout if only 1 player is detected, but I'd like home to bring me back to the top level. The fact that the menu structure changes once I connect to a player is inconsistent in my mind.

In settings, I'd like Repeat & Shuffle to be the first and second items on the screen and the rest of the items organised alphabetically.

Finally there is noticable lag on the remote. I'm not sure if the remote itself is lacking MIPS, or if it's caused by network lag, but there is a definite lack of responsiveness.

My actual experience of navigating playing music using the remote has been minimal as it kinda hung. It would scroll up/down, but the centre key would not advance my selection. Even a power cycle did not fix this. I had to do a factory rest.

I hope this hasn't been too negative, but i'm trying to put myself in the position of a novice end user. The first 15-30mins of using a new device can be make-or-break. There a huge amount of good things about the remote. It's way ahead of the old one, but still not 100% there.

oreillymj
2007-09-28, 02:36
Oh and I also meant to say a big thank you to everyone at Slim for sending me this unit and keeping the company "special".
Customers are important to you.

Anyone who thought that would change post Logitech buyout were/are wrong. So without leaving anyone out.

Thanks Sean, Dean, Dan, Andy, Richard and all the newer guys who keep confirming that I made absolutely the right buying choice.

autopilot
2007-09-28, 03:09
Long lists need to be broken up. I have >1000 artists in my library. Scrolling down to K (for Kasabian) nearly burnt out the wheel ;-)
So Browse by Artist should bring up a horizontal alphabet along the top with a magnifying glass over the selected letter, kinda like the WEP entry screen, but horizontal. Hit the center button and it shows everything by that artist.

I would like to see speed sensitive scrolling. Slow would work as it does now (album by album) - and when you spin it fast it goes A..B..C...

Craig
2007-09-28, 03:11
I completely agree with you about the long list issue, an alphabetical finder like you describe would be much easier. To prove the point, I have my music files set up as
Initial letter\Artist\Album
IE D:\C\Counting Crows\August and Everything After\*.flac
and it is much quicker to find the album I want using Browse Music Folder just because the first level is just the alphabet.

Also on the subject of the Album list, I find it unusable until the artwork has been loaded and that doesn't seem to happen automatically. So I have to scroll through the entire list (which takes a good 10 mins) to build the cache.
I think there's a need for some background task to build the artwork cache.

Craig (Trying to be constructive not negative)

oreillymj
2007-09-28, 03:33
FW 609

Upgraded the firmware using the jive.bin in the nightly dir. But there's still no Windows nightly today, so I'm using the software from the 26th.

Anyhoo, I've managed to lock up the remote again. I can now scroll up & down the main menu, but clicking enter will not advance me into any sub menus.

This behaviour survives power cycles. So it looks like I need a factory reset.

BTW - I hung the remote trying to find the "Now playing" song page with with the progress bar. Clicking "Now playing" actually seemed to bring me into the playlist.

Also when adding Albums to the playlist, the first album was added with a message "Adding xxxxxx to playlist", but when I added a second album, it said it was adding the just the first song off the second album to the playlist. Checking the playlist, it had actually added the full second album. Will try repeat this once I've resurrected the remote.

When the remote is sitting idle, it continues doing it's thing, pulling down the currently playing song and showing the time/progress bar, clicking etc. I think I'd just like the screen to go off completely and save power by not doing any updates until I pick it up to look at it.

autopilot
2007-09-28, 03:37
Also, as it's just one long list - maybe it would help if it when to the middle of the list when you first go in to albums.

oreillymj
2007-09-28, 03:40
Just reset the remote.

Put in WEP key & connected. It said "That's it, Continue". I picked a player which was playing music and it went to the "Now Playing" screen and displayed song info/album art etc.

I then moved the remote (without clicking a button) and it somehow got itself back to the "That's it, Continue" page of the startup wizard. Clicking Enter got it on to the Home menu page.

Craig
2007-09-28, 03:47
Also, as it's just one long list - maybe it would help if it when to the middle of the list when you first go in to albums.
Well you can scroll backwards through Z so I guess it already does :-)

Craig

oreillymj
2007-09-28, 04:04
Remember the list of Artists etc comes from SQL query on the database.
It's pretty difficult SQL wise to find the mid point of a dataset.
You would have to have to assign an id number to each artist sequentially from A-Z, then when you get the list of artists, find the max id and divide by 2 to find the mid point.

Then when displaying the list, the mid point get selected.

Any time you add an album by a new artist, then id's would need a complete update to make space for the new arrival.

Not exactly trivial. Or you could hack it my just starting the list at the first artist beginning with M.

Am I correct is saying that Now playing actually displays the full playlist (without highlighting the song that's playing) rather than just the info on the Now Playing song. That info only appears when the remote is left idle and disappears when I pick it up.

oreillymj
2007-09-30, 09:39
r616 seems a good step reliability wise, but it is still possible to hang the remote. It doesn't seem to be entirely repeatable and I think it's related to the network strength. Changing between players seems to be very unreliable.

My wife threatened to leave me if I didn't switch off the annoying scroll machine gun noise. Without it the wheel feels rather loose. The wheel definitely needs some mechanical tactile feedback and a nicer clicking sound which has adjustable volume.

Menu scrolling and transitions are still pretty slow and the browser artist/albums are too long to be navigable using the wheel. Again the iPod has a nice way of scrolling long lists by changing selection mode when the user scrolls quickly. It changes from scrolling by artist name to letters of the alphabet.

The Now Playing page does not display the info most regular SB3 users would expect. It shows the playlist but does not highlight the currently playing song.

I haven't been able to convince Random Mix to appear on the jive remote's menu. I use this a lot, so I consider it a "must have" prior to release.

So while there's a lot of promise, there's a way to go yet before I'll replace my regular remote.

dean
2007-09-30, 11:27
On Sep 30, 2007, at 9:39 AM, oreillymj wrote:
> r616 seems a bit good step reliability wise, but it is still
> possible to
> hang the remote. It doesn't seem to be entirely repeatable and I think
> it's related to the network strength.
Understood. There's a low-level bug that can hang the CPU
completely. We're working hard on finding and fixing it. Sorry for
the current behavior.

> Changing between players seems to
> be very unreliable.
This should be much better now (the hanging bug above not withstanding)

> My wife threatened to leave me if I didn't switch off the annoying
> scroll machine gun noise. Without it the wheel feels rather loose. The
> wheel definitely needs some mechanical tactile feedback and a nicer
> clicking sound which has adjustable volume.
There's a bug open for this. In the mean time, I've put a piece of
tape over the speaker grill in the back in order to keep my wife.

> Menu scrolling and transitions are still pretty slow and the browser
> artist/albums are too long to be navigable using the wheel. Again the
> iPod has a nice way of scrolling long lists by changing selection mode
> when the user scrolls quickly. It changes from scrolling by artist
> name
> to letters of the alphabet.
Understood. Improving this performance is a high priority issue too.

> The Now Playing page does not display the info most regular SB3 users
> would expect. It shows the playlist but does not highlight the
> currently playing song.
Also a known bug. We'll be fixing that as well as adding the screen
you see in the Now Playing screensaver to the Now Playing area.

> I haven't been able to convince Random Mix to appear on the jive
> remote's menu. I use this a lot, so I consider it a "must have" prior
> to release.
Agreed. Another known issue.

> So while there's a lot of promise, there's a way to go yet before I'll
> replace my regular remote.
I totally agree, and am glad that the things that are bugging you are
already on our list.

All the best,

dean

Craig
2007-09-30, 12:06
I couldn't agree with you more except that your wife never threatened to leave me ;-)

I've also found a little bug, If you go into a songs info and view the tags, If there is a lyric tag the screen overwrites itself rather than giving scrollbars.

Maybe it would be an idea if we knew what was actually being worked on then we wouldn't all keep bringing up the same problems?

Craig

Edit
Ahh, I was replying to oreillymj but Dean sneaked a post in while I was typing!!!

bpa
2007-09-30, 12:18
Maybe it would be an idea if we knew what was actually being worked on then we wouldn't all keep bringing up the same problems?

Bugs in bugzilla (http://bugs.slimdevices.com/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&short_desc_type=allwordssubstr&short_desc=&product=Jive+Hardware&product=Jive+Software&long_desc_type=allwordssubstr&long_desc=&bug_file_loc_type=allwordssubstr&bug_file_loc=&keywords_type=allwords&keywords=&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=VERIFIED&bug_status=CLOSED&emailassigned_to1=1&emailtype1=substring&email1=&emailassigned_to2=1&emailreporter2=1&emailcc2=1&emailtype2=substring&email2=&bugidtype=include&bug_id=&votes=&chfieldfrom=&chfieldto=Now&chfieldvalue=&cmdtype=doit&order=Reuse+same+sort+as+last+time&field0-0-0=noop&type0-0-0=noop&value0-0-0= ) - search on Jive shows what bugs have been logged.

Also there is the "campfire" discussion but they can get very detailed
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=34956&highlight=campfire

Cruzan
2007-09-30, 14:12
After upgrading to r616 my connectivity with Jive has decreased dramatically. I constantly get the red signal indicator, even when standing right next to the wireless router.

Everything else works fine. My router says the Jive is connected at over 60% but the effective throughput is at 1Mb/s.

Is this just me?

oreillymj
2007-09-30, 16:31
One other weird thing I've noticed. I have the screensaver set to the Analogue clock.
Sometimes when I take the remote from it's cradle and hit the Back arrow key to clear the clock from the screen, I just see "Controller Settings", "Choose Player". I pick Choose Player->Living Room. The transition occurs and Living Room appears at the top of the screen, but none of the menu's appear and the shuffle/repeat status is missing in the status panel.

Soon the clock re-appears, I hit back, and the menus are present.

I've had this happen a few times and it normally preceeds a lock up, where I can scrol up and down, but can enter any menu.

slimpy
2007-10-01, 00:19
After upgrading to r616 my connectivity with Jive has decreased dramatically. I constantly get the red signal indicator, even when standing right next to the wireless router.

Everything else works fine. My router says the Jive is connected at over 60% but the effective throughput is at 1Mb/s.

Is this just me?
Red signal indicator? The signal indicator on my Jive HW never changes color.
Are you sure you're not looking at the battery status (which turns red when the battery is low)?

-s.

Craig
2007-10-01, 01:37
Here's some screenshots of the 'Long tag' problem I described earlier.

Scrolling down from the song info page to the lyrics field causes this.

Craig

smc2911
2007-10-01, 03:55
I've found with fw616 and 30/9 SC that the Volume Adjustment setting won't stick if I change it with the Jive Hardware Beta (it does if I use the old remote of the WebUI).

oreillymj
2007-10-01, 06:14
Yes, actually I did notice yesterday that the Jive remote did not alter the volume setting on the player. But I was doing a lot of mucking around rebooting remote, restarting servers at the time.

I must try reproduce today.

Mark Lanctot
2007-10-01, 06:21
Oh and I don't mind the battery cover being tight. When am I ever going to open the door once it's in daily use, not doing regular FW updates?

I'm going to have to comment on this one - what do you do when the remote locks up? When mine locks up the only way to get it back to normal operation is to remove and re-insert the battery.

Does yours not lock up then, or do you have another method of getting it back to normal operation?

dean
2007-10-01, 07:39
On Oct 1, 2007, at 12:19 AM, slimpy wrote:
> Cruzan;231541 Wrote:
>> After upgrading to r616 my connectivity with Jive has decreased
>> dramatically. I constantly get the red signal indicator, even when
>> standing right next to the wireless router.
>>
>> Everything else works fine. My router says the Jive is connected at
>> over 60% but the effective throughput is at 1Mb/s.
>>
>> Is this just me?
> Red signal indicator? The signal indicator on my Jive HW never changes
> color.
It turns red if it's lost connection to the wireless network altogether.

Totally greyed out actually is still connected, though not strongly.
There's a bug open to make this less confusing.

dean
2007-10-01, 07:40
Craig,

Did you file a bug on this?

On Oct 1, 2007, at 1:37 AM, Craig wrote:

>
> Here's some screenshots of the 'Long tag' problem I described earlier.
>
> Scrolling down from the song info page to the lyrics field causes
> this.
>
> Craig
>
>
> +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
> |Filename: Jive2.jpg |
> |Download: http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?
> attachmentid=3478|
> +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
>
> --
> Craig
>
> MC2Slim - Windows Shell and J River Media Center Integration for
> Squeezebox.
>
> http://www.duff-zapp.co.uk
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> --
> Craig's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=96
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=38762
>
>

Craig
2007-10-01, 07:41
Mine locks up but never so that I couldn't restart it by holding down the Home button.

Craig

Craig
2007-10-01, 07:43
It turns red if it's lost connection to the wireless network altogether.

Totally greyed out actually is still connected, though not strongly.
There's a bug open to make this less confusing.

Is it accurate? 5M from my access point and it shows low when my laptop shows 'excellent'

Craig

oreillymj
2007-10-01, 08:01
I'm going to have to comment on this one - what do you do when the remote locks up? When mine locks up the only way to get it back to normal operation is to remove and re-insert the battery.

Does yours not lock up then, or do you have another method of getting it back to normal operation?

Mark,

I'm talking about the production ready unit's, not the current development/beta unit's.

When the product is final and ready for release, it should be possible to reboot the remote and never need to resort to pulling the battery. Much like the way the iPod is sealed, but can always be recovered if/when it locks up. If the SD card slot is mainly a dev feature that end users will not use, I'd much prefer a battery cover that won't come off and get lost but is a bit stiffer.

And actually since r609/616, I don't think I have had to remove the battery to recover from a lock up. any lockup I've had have been recoverable.

Craig
2007-10-01, 08:06
Craig,

Did you file a bug on this?

No but I have now
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=5636

Craig

dean
2007-10-01, 09:50
On Oct 1, 2007, at 7:43 AM, Craig wrote:

>
> dean blackketter;231730 Wrote:
>>
>> It turns red if it's lost connection to the wireless network
>> altogether.
>>
>> Totally greyed out actually is still connected, though not strongly.
>>
>> There's a bug open to make this less confusing.
>
> Is it accurate? 5M from my access point and it shows low when my
> laptop
> shows 'excellent'
Clearly, it's not accurate.

Craig
2007-10-01, 11:46
On Oct 1, 2007, at 7:43 AM, Craig wrote:

>
> dean blackketter;231730 Wrote:
>>
>> It turns red if it's lost connection to the wireless network
>> altogether.
>>
>> Totally greyed out actually is still connected, though not strongly.
>>
>> There's a bug open to make this less confusing.
>
> Is it accurate? 5M from my access point and it shows low when my
> laptop
> shows 'excellent'
Clearly, it's not accurate.

The reason I asked is that someone said that their router was showing worse figures for a Jive than a TP in a similar location.

Craig

Mark Lanctot
2007-10-01, 12:00
The reason I asked is that someone said that their router was showing worse figures for a Jive than a TP in a similar location.

If that was me (see here: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=230914&postcount=10 ) then what was actually said was that the router showed the same figures for a TP and the Jive beta hardware but the Jive beta hardware showed little connectivity, underreporting what the router was seeing and what the TP reported as ~90% signal, i.e. making things look worse than they were.

Cruzan
2007-10-01, 12:15
If that was me (see here: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=230914&postcount=10 ) then what was actually said was that the router showed the same figures for a TP and the Jive beta hardware but the Jive beta hardware showed little connectivity, underreporting what the router was seeing and what the TP reported as ~90% signal, i.e. making things look worse than they were.

I have the same issue - the router reports 60% signal but only 1Mb effective throughput for the Jive, while the Jive connectivity indicator stays red unless I stand within 5 feet of the router. I have several other devices that are much further away that are working fine.

This is a recent change, since I upgraded to r616. Does the connectivity indicator relate to connection to the router or connection to the server? I have a slow server and I wonder if the load on it has increased and it can't serve the Jive...

Craig
2007-10-01, 12:18

OK, There's been a weekend since I read that then :-)

So we're all agreed, it's the meter on the Jive that's wrong.

Craig

Mark Lanctot
2007-10-01, 12:21
I have the same issue - the router reports 60% signal but only 1Mb effective throughput for the Jive

This makes me want to clarify - the router thinks the Jive beta hardware is fine, the router thinks the TP in the same location is fine, the TP thinks it's fine, but the Jive beta hardware thinks it has low connectivity.

This doesn't appear to be the case judging by all the other evidence and the fact the remote works just fine. Although I should try loading all my album art onto the remote in that location and see how fast it takes.

Mark Lanctot
2007-10-01, 12:22
OK, There's been a weekend since I read that then :-)

Beer kills brain cells. ;-)

So we're all agreed, it's the meter on the Jive that's wrong.

Yessir, that's what I meant to say.

nicketynick
2007-10-01, 12:30
Beer kills brain cells. ;-)

C'mon now, that's not the right attitude...... it just culls the bad ones....... I like to think of it as responsible brain management....

Mark Lanctot
2007-10-01, 12:31
C'mon now, that's not the right attitude...... it just culls the bad ones....... I like to think of it as responsible brain management....

Survival of the fittest?

Mark Lanctot
2007-10-01, 13:28

I just upgraded to r 616 and I notice that the numbers dropped as well. I'm not getting a red signal indicator though, but lower than r 606.

Mark Lanctot
2007-10-01, 13:36
And actually since r609/616, I don't think I have had to remove the battery to recover from a lock up. any lockup I've had have been recoverable.

Recoverable how? By pressing the back button?

I'll go into it in more detail in my own impressions thread, but I just hard-locked it twice in a row, requiring pulling the battery.

Craig
2007-10-01, 13:51
Recoverable how? By pressing the back button?

I'll go into it in more detail in my own impressions thread, but I just hard-locked it twice in a row, requiring pulling the battery.

I've always been able to recover mine by holding down home till it restarts.

Craig

Mark Lanctot
2007-10-01, 14:01
Hmm, mine does absolutely nothing when I hold down the home button, even if it's running fine?

Craig
2007-10-01, 14:07
Hmm, mine does absolutely nothing when I hold down the home button, even if it's running fine?
I just tried mine and it took 8 seconds but i've seen 15 - 20 mentioned.

Craig

Cruzan
2007-10-01, 14:07
This makes me want to clarify - the router thinks the Jive beta hardware is fine, the router thinks the TP in the same location is fine, the TP thinks it's fine, but the Jive beta hardware thinks it has low connectivity.

This doesn't appear to be the case judging by all the other evidence and the fact the remote works just fine. Although I should try loading all my album art onto the remote in that location and see how fast it takes.

When my connectivity indicator goes red, the remote stops working for me. The remote is pretty useless right now - if I have to walk to the router to get it to work, I may as well walk to the PC and use SqueezeCentre(R). Since it was working fine, it seems to be a software issue.

It may be a spurious indication that leads the remote to think it isn't connected. Or something else.

Mark Lanctot
2007-10-01, 14:11
I just tried mine and it took 8 seconds but i've seen 15 - 20 mentioned.

Whoa - I'll remember to hold it down with a piece of gum then. ;-) Thanks.

Fifer
2007-10-01, 14:33
Eight seconds for mine too.

smc2911
2007-10-02, 02:51
Just timed it: 10sec holding home to turn off, 5 secs to turn on.

bklaas
2007-10-02, 07:08
Just timed it: 10sec holding home to turn off, 5 secs to turn on.

FYI- This behavior will change in a future revision of the firmware. Consider it a beta "feature" for now.
cheers,
#!/ben

Mark Lanctot
2007-10-02, 10:57
Took 11 seconds for me.

The reason I don't know any of these key commands is I've never seen this page before: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?JiveUI

But this is a good thing, because I figured out what all the buttons did intuitively. I participated in product testing once when I was in my teens and that's exactly what they did - they instructed you to do things without telling you how in order to find out how intuitive things are. (Incidentally, this was in the development of the NorTel "Meridian" phone, which was ubiquitous for a while).

Unfortunately the product testing panel leaders had to tell me to stop playing with it so that the rest of my family could try things on it, so I guess I was a techno-geek back then too. ;-)

Cruzan
2007-10-02, 11:05
Some more on the red connection indicator. Even though the remote is 10 feet and one wall from a high-end wireless access point, it appears to be in a dead spot. The dead spot doesn't affect the computer near it nor my friend's iphone, but the remote shows zero connectivity. However, I can move to other areas of the house and get connected - it seems to be that one area. I'll play with my antenna, and then I'll see if moving the router around helps. (Please read the preceding sentence in a Groucho voice.) In any event, the remote connectivity is the lowest of the devices in my house.

Mark Lanctot
2007-10-02, 11:10
I'll play with my antenna

Watch that you don't get hairy palms or go blind! :-)

dean
2007-10-02, 12:55
Could you try rotating the device and see if orientation affects the
performance dramatically? We're looking at the antenna layout and
know that there are some dips in the polar response. Real-world
performance feedback would be very welcome.

On Oct 2, 2007, at 11:05 AM, Cruzan wrote:

>
> Some more on the red connection indicator. Even though the remote
> is 10
> feet and one wall from a high-end wireless access point, it appears to
> be in a dead spot. The dead spot doesn't affect the computer near it
> nor my friend's iphone, but the remote shows zero connectivity.
> However, I can move to other areas of the house and get connected - it
> seems to be that one area. I'll play with my antenna, and then I'll
> see
> if moving the router around helps. (Please read the preceding sentence
> in a Groucho voice.) In any event, the remote connectivity is the
> lowest of the devices in my house.
>
>
> --
> Cruzan
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> --
> Cruzan's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?
> userid=11609
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=38762
>
>

oreillymj
2007-10-02, 15:11
Upgraded to 622 tonight. The network update failed (seems flaky I sitting beside my wireless router) and then the upgrade from the SD card also seemed to hang. I had to power cycle it and try again. Thought I'd bricked the unit.

Anyway, I'd love to know what ths update addresses so I know what to test.
The bug I posted about the classic clock being 4 hrs out may be a random thing. After the power cycle, it only out by 1 hour. It's still the only clock that's wrong.

Browsing long lists still seems to cause a lock up. I went into Browse Artists which contains about 1000 items (to see if there hand been any navigation improvements since 616) then hit Back once the start of the long list appeared. Went into Browse Music Folder and the unit locked up hard requiring a reset.

Cruzan
2007-10-03, 13:59
Could you try rotating the device and see if orientation affects the
performance dramatically? We're looking at the antenna layout and
know that there are some dips in the polar response. Real-world
performance feedback would be very welcome.
> [/color]

I tried it last night, and this morning. The results were not consistent or repeatable, but in general 180 degrees (back of the remote facing the router) was by far the best reception, and 45-135 degrees by far the worst, usually with the indicator turning red. 0 degrees was close to 180 degrees, while 180-360 degrees were all tolerable. 180 degrees was consistently good, and 90 degrees consistently bad, but the others changed a lot.

kdf
2007-10-03, 21:24
Browsing long lists still seems to cause a lock up. I went into Browse Artists which contains about 1000 items (to see if there hand been any navigation improvements since 616) then hit Back once the start of the long list appeared. Went into Browse Music Folder and the unit locked up hard requiring a reset.

I may have run into this one. I caught a debug and filed as bug 5662. Hopefully it can be tracked down quickly and is actually the same problem.

-kdf

oreillymj
2007-10-10, 14:18
I've done a couple of firmware updates recently and find it hard to figure out exactly what's being worked on or fixed.

Each revision seems introduce new random behaviour but doesn't seem to alter the major issues that I see. I know this is complicated stuff, but here goes....

1) I can't navigate MY library with this remote.

Library statistics

Total Albums: 1,217
Total Artists: 937
Total Genres: 103
Total Playing Time: 880:57:36
Total Tracks: 11,788

I've had to change my music folder organisation on disk as follows

A->Artist beginning with A->Albums
B->Artist beginning with B->Albums

etc... just to have 1 way of getting to stuff. The other menus are pointless at the moment. They're far too long to scroll with the wheel so I don't use them.

2) Responsiveness. I don't know how optimised the current code is, but the scrolling of menu's either flying in, or moving off screen has a habit of stalling mid-way. Also when changing between player, the name of the player appears on a blank screen, then the menu suddenly appears. I'd prefer to wait with an hourglass/watch busy icon on the display while the menu's are built off screen and have the complete menu to appear, then the current behaviour. For long lists, slide in the menu when the first 50 or so items have been retrieved from the Db, then begin fetching the rest of the list.

3) Random Mix. I miss you so much, please come back ;-) With such a big library I would usually just have it on Random mix and play recently purchased stuff through "New Music".

4) "Play Other Songs" in an album or selected playlist etc. I miss you almost as much as Random mix.

5) Weird stuff. I just don't know how to log bugs about stuff that happens so randomly. I often can't reproduce stuff and just can't tell what's going on. Tonight I picked the remote out of the charger and pressed Back. The Classic clock judders off screen replaced by the main menu. 5 mins later, I pick the remote off my desk and do the same thing, but the clock slides off screen perfectly smoothly. WTF???
I then go into Extras->Information Browser and nothing appears, hit Back, then go back into Info Browser again and the list of feeds is there now. Also I'm sitting 100cm from from my wireless router, but there are no bars on the wireless signal indicator???

If I knew what was being worked on, I would then know what to look at after each FW release. Reliability has improved, the remote doesn't lock up, but there's a lot of random stuff still happening.

Craig
2007-10-10, 14:55
I agree with you oreillymj, today I wanted to play Rufus Wainwright on my IPod and it was easy to do, I wouldn't want to do that at the mo on Jive with 550 artists so run through.

We really need to be trying for IPod levels of slickness.
I'm finding the lists smoother to scroll in recent builds though but htere's still a way to go.

Oh and I want Random Mix back too :-)

Craig

Mark Lanctot
2007-10-11, 05:55
Also when changing between player, the name of the player appears on a blank screen, then the menu suddenly appears.

Yes, it's the same thing with turning the player on/off, the menu disappears and goes blank, sometimes for a long enough period to cause concern, then comes back up.

3) Random Mix. I miss you so much, please come back ;-)

Since this is almost exclusively how I play my music library, definitely! If JHB were a commercial product I would have to hold off purchasing it (as neat as it is) until it had this essential feature.

I then go into Extras->Information Browser and nothing appears, hit Back, then go back into Info Browser again and the list of feeds is there now.

The Information Browser is hit-and-miss here too. Sometimes it's there, sometimes it isn't. It doesn't seem to be correlated to how close I am to my router either.

Although with the 10/10 SC build, I couldn't even get Information Browser to load in SC! I'll investigate and maybe file a bug if one isn't already, not that I'd use Information Browser much if at all. Still, if it's there it should be working.

oreillymj
2007-10-14, 03:51
I haven't notice any huge changes recently although the remote doesn't seem to hang as much.

However changing between players is still troublesome. Yesterday the menu items for the player in the Kitchen did not appear, just the Menu title and I have to power off/on again for the player to sycnh itself.

Shuffle & Repeat are now grouped logically beside each other in the players settings menu and a small musical note appears beside the song playing in a playlist. Perhaps also make the now playing item red to make it stand out more.

Something I noticed yesterday, is that font colours don't change with the background image chosen. Most things work, but some of the black text in song info dissapears on the black background of the flame image. Also some image placeholders have appeared.

Navigation still needs work.