PDA

View Full Version : Important note about Jive r609+ and the latest SlimServer

andyg
2007-09-27, 14:34
In the 9/28 nighly builds, I've made a change to both SlimServer 7 and Jive that cause older Jive firmware to no longer work with the latest SlimServer. If you get a blank Choose Player screen on your Jive, you probably updated to the latest SlimServer before upgrading your Jive. You will need to update your Jive using an older SlimServer before updating to the latest SlimServer. Please follow this procedure to properly update your Jive:

1. Use the nightly build of SlimServer from 9/26 or 9/27 (svn revision 13298).
2. Restart SlimServer if it's already started to trigger Jive firmware downloading.
3. After a few minutes, make sure it has downloaded a version of Jive firmware that is r609 (or higher). Look in your SlimServer Cache directory for jive_1_r609.bin.
4. Connect a player to your SlimServer.
5. Choose this player on Jive, you should get the firmware upgrade message.
6. Upgrade your firmware.
7. After reboot, verify the firmware version by going to Settings -> Controller Settings -> Advanced -> About Jive.
8. Update SlimServer to the latest nightly or svn version.
9. If all went well, everything will now work properly again. :)

Craig
2007-09-28, 03:25
I'm a bit snookered at the moment, I've done the Jive update to r609 but there's no new Windows nightly build so it won't work.

Craig

autopilot
2007-09-28, 03:31
Yeah, that's what i came in too add - why no windows build included again?

oreillymj
2007-09-28, 04:06
R609 is working with my windows build from the 26th.

Assuming the Windows hardware is still be rebuilt after the motherboard failure mentioned elsewhere.

Patrick Dixon
2007-09-28, 04:18
I'm a bit snookered at the moment, I've done the Jive update to r609 but there's no new Windows nightly build so it won't work.

Craig

Me too becuase there's no debian build either. The new fw doesn't seem to work with the last debian nightly.

smc2911
2007-09-28, 05:40
R609 is working with my windows build from the 26th.
Posted this elsewhere, but my 26th SS is not working with FW609.

andyg
2007-09-28, 05:47
Right, r609 will not work with an older SlimServer pre-9/28. If you've got your Jive updated to r609 you need to get the latest SlimServer. Not sure why the Debian build failed last night, I'll look at getting it built this morning. The Debian build has some other issues such as old dependencies that I have not fixed yet, so you may want to just run from svn.

oreillymj
2007-09-28, 05:52
Andy,

Can you also look at the Windows build, or is the H/W still being re-built.

As a work-around, I downloaded the available Unix gzip and extracted it over my Windows 26th build, then ran it using perl.

andyg
2007-09-28, 05:57
Yeah sorry I don't have a Windows build machine here. The box should hopefully be fixed today and we'll build one as soon as it's back up.

smc2911
2007-09-28, 05:58
No worries. It's bedtime here in Sydney anyway!

nicketynick
2007-09-28, 09:41
Hi Andy,

I'm still confused by all this. I've just received my Jive, and I haven't installed any SS7 yet. I'm assuming the Jive will have an older firmware on it, from whenever it shipped. So do I install 26th Sept. first, allowing it to update the firmware to r609, and thereafter I am able to update SS to 30th Sept.? (or whenever nightlies become available again?)
Or do I wait and install the upcoming nightly, and everything will update?

Thanks,

Nick

andyg
2007-09-28, 09:43
You have 2 options for getting r609 or higher on your Jive: Use a SlimServer nightly from 9/27 or earlier, or use an SD card.

nicketynick
2007-09-28, 09:49
You have 2 options for getting r609 or higher on your Jive: Use a SlimServer nightly from 9/27 or earlier, or use an SD card.

Perfect, thanks - I downloaded the 9/26 last night, but didn't install it because there was the other issue about the "missing player screen" or whatever it was further confusing the matter.
Is that problem fixed in the 9/26, or will I want to get the newest nightly when it becomes available?

slimpy
2007-09-28, 09:54
You only need the 9/26 (or 9/27) version to update the jive firmware.
The new firmware will not run with this SS version so you need to update SS to the latest (later than 9/27) nightly.

-s.

nicketynick
2007-09-28, 10:00
You only need the 9/26 (or 9/27) version to update the jive firmware.
The new firmware will not run with this SS version so you need to update SS to the latest (later than 9/27) nightly.

-s.

Right, so its a 3-step process:
install 9/26 (or 9/27)
update firmware to r609 (or better)
install newer SS nightly, *when it becomes available for windows!
It will drive me crazy being half-done, so I'll wait until the new nightlies are up!

slimpy
2007-09-28, 10:03
Right, so its a 3-step process:
install 9/26 (or 9/27)
update firmware to r609 (or better)
install newer SS nightly, *when it becomes available for windows!
It will drive me crazy being half-done, so I'll wait until the new nightlies are up!
Correct.
Another reason to switch to linux ;)

-s.

nicketynick
2007-09-28, 10:15
Correct.
Another reason to switch to linux ;)

-s.

Right you are! My first 2 attempts went down in flames. They say 3rd time is a charm, I just need to find the time, or even better, buy a linux box built for SS (oh, if only there was such a thing!) The leading contender is currently the QNAP TS109, but I keep dithering between this and a mini-itx type machine......

CardinalFang
2007-09-28, 10:22
9. If all went well, everything will now work properly again. :)

Well I installed everything yesterday and have version 609, but today after a reboot of the Mac SlimServer runs on, the player can see the server, but the Jive handset can't see the player - exactly as described in the mailout.

The nightly for Mac reports itself as an invalid DMG file, so is there any way to get it back working again until there's another nightly build?

nicketynick
2007-09-28, 10:27
Well I installed everything yesterday and have version 609, but today after a reboot of the Mac SlimServer runs on, the player can see the server, but the Jive handset can't see the player - exactly as described in the mailout.

The nightly for Mac reports itself as an invalid DMG file, so is there any way to get it back working again until there's another nightly build?

If I'm understanding correctly, all you need to do is update to the SS 9/28, which is available for Mac, so you should be good to go.....

CardinalFang
2007-09-28, 11:53
If I'm understanding correctly, all you need to do is update to the SS 9/28, which is available for Mac, so you should be good to go.....

The SS 9/28 is the one that is reported an invalid DMG file on my system, so sadly no.

nicketynick
2007-09-28, 12:12
The SS 9/28 is the one that is reported an invalid DMG file on my system, so sadly no.

Sounds like something else is wrong then? What is DMG? Maybe Andy can clarify.....

CardinalFang
2007-09-28, 12:22
Sounds like something else is wrong then? What is DMG? Maybe Andy can clarify.....

It's the Mac package for installation - has anyone else tried the 9/28 install for Mac successfully?

dean
2007-09-28, 14:51
I'm seeing the same thing here. I suspect it has to do with the name
change to SqueezeCenter.

Let me take a quick look....

On Sep 28, 2007, at 12:22 PM, CardinalFang wrote:

>
> nicketynick;230950 Wrote:
>> Sounds like something else is wrong then? What is DMG? Maybe Andy can
>> clarify.....
>
> It's the Mac package for installation - has anyone else tried the 9/28
> install for Mac successfully?
>
>
> --
> CardinalFang
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> --
> CardinalFang's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?
> userid=962
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=38747
>
>

dean
2007-09-28, 15:16
Ok, it's fixed and there's a new nightly there for Mac.

smc2911
2007-09-28, 15:19
Any news on the Windows version yet? Yes, I know I could use a linux version, but for the moment I'm keeping 6.5 on my linux machine (at least until slimscrobbler/last.fm works on 7).

dean
2007-09-28, 15:36
I suspect that we won't be getting the new motherboard for that build
machine until Monday.

When it comes up, we'll do a fresh build immediately.

smc2911
2007-09-28, 15:42
Fair enough. Maybe I'll try putting SC on my old Mac mini to have a play with my newly arrived Jive Hardware Beta over the weekend.

dean
2007-09-28, 15:46
Sounds good!

On Sep 28, 2007, at 3:42 PM, smc2911 wrote:

>
> Fair enough. Maybe I'll try putting SC on my old Mac mini to have a
> play
> with my newly arrived Jive Hardware Beta over the weekend.
>
>
> --
> smc2911
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> --
> smc2911's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?
> userid=4388
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=38747
>
>

andyg
2007-09-28, 17:14
The Windows build machine is back up, and nightlies from 9/28 are built.

CardinalFang
2007-09-29, 02:17
Ok, it's fixed and there's a new nightly there for Mac.

Thanks Dean, it installs now, but my remote won't see the network anymore :-( I need to start again with networks...

Update - it connects to the network now by me having selective MAC addresses, but jumps straight to the player screen and then all buttons are inoperable, apart from being able to turn it off. If I play music on the squeezebox, the remote updates to say something is playing, but doesn't shift from that screen. I have to go away for a few days, so I'll investigate more when I get back. It's really disappointing, it's so close to be a great product, but then again it is still under development!

smc2911
2007-09-29, 02:51
Cool. Still, the absence of the Windows release prompted me to fire up my Mac mini for the first time in ages and I managed to install the Mac version (which stretched my rusty Mac knowledge*). My Jive Hardware Beta (JHB) then found the player successfully but often seems to freeze/crash and only removing the battery will bring it back to life. I can't yet work out how to consistently reproduce this effect and there doesn't seem to be anything in the logs (perhaps I should elevate my logging levels?). Anyway, I have some other thoughts which I'll post in a separate thread.

* Is OSX 10.3.9 ok or should I be on 10.4? Also, does anyone know of an elegant way to automatically mount a samba share (hosted on a Ubuntu machine) on a Mac without storing plaintext password anywhere? My music library is on the Ubuntu machine (which also has SS6.5) and I don't really want to manually load the network share every time for the Mac.

cliveb
2007-09-29, 03:08
The Windows build machine is back up, and nightlies from 9/28 are built.
Thanks - downloading the 9/29 build at the moment.

Question: when installing this is it a good idea to first uninstall the previous version (from 9/26), or is it safe to just upgrade?

CardinalFang
2007-09-29, 04:34
* Is OSX 10.3.9 ok or should I be on 10.4?

I used 10.3.9 and it installed OK. Since the last build it seems ot have lost the web interface and as I mentioned the remote has got stuck on the player screen.

smc2911
2007-09-29, 04:50
Well, everything seems to work with OSX 10.3.9 but I wasn't sure whether the JHB crashes were a side-effect of using an old OS. Soon I'll be able to compare with Windows as well (just installed the latest).

Skunk
2007-09-29, 05:04
Thanks - downloading the 9/29 build at the moment.

Question: when installing this is it a good idea to first uninstall the previous version (from 9/26), or is it safe to just upgrade?

I just kill the slim.exe, mysqld.exe, and flac.exe processes in task manager and install over. Not official advice, but works for me.

Dan Sully
2007-09-29, 09:50
* smc2911 shaped the electrons to say...

>* Is OSX 10.3.9 ok or should I be on 10.4? Also, does anyone know of an
>elegant way to automatically mount a samba share (hosted on a Ubuntu
>machine) on a Mac without storing plaintext password anywhere? My music
>library is on the Ubuntu machine (which also has SS6.5) and I don't
>really want to manually load the network share every time for the Mac.

Go to the finder, hit Apple-K and enter your samba server url:

smb://your.server/share

-D
--
<dsully> please describe web 2.0 to me in 2 sentences or less.
<jwb> you make all the content. they keep all the revenue.

smc2911
2007-09-30, 04:09
Go to the finder, hit Apple-K and enter your samba server url:

smb://your.server/share

Thanks, that's a handy shortcut I didn't know about, but I was more wondering whether there was a way to arrange for the share to be mounted automatically, rather the way that a windows mapped drive will reconnect automatically when you start up the machine. I would try adding a mount entry into /etc/fstab but I don't know how to avoid entering my password there in plaintext...but I don't want to turn this into a Mac support thread, so feel free to ignore or pm.

funkstar
2007-09-30, 12:25
Is there any way to download the firmware manually?

I have the daily build from 9/26 installed. Whenever re-start the service it tries to download jive_1_r616.bin but never completes and just deletes it. I''ve tried this 3 times now.

Once this is done i still need to install the latest nightly and update the firmware again.

Very frustrating.

funkstar
2007-09-30, 14:15
Bah, never mind. Thought to look in the nightly directory and there it is :)

Internet was grinding to a halt too so i re-started my router which seems to have helped. Before i realised, SS7 had successfully grabbed the new firmware.

Now just have to work out why my wireless network is being sooooooo slooooooooow tonight.

tyler_durden
2007-10-02, 20:17
My hardware has arrived, but I can't locate the 9/26 release of slimserver. Can someone post a link to the windows .exe?

I AM getting the blank "choose player" screen because I installed the latest SlimCenter before updating the Jive firmware.

I am running an older slimserver under linux. When I try to update firmware with that (or when slimserver is running under windoze) when I select "Software Update" under remote settings I get a message about pressing "continue" but there is no "continue" to select.

I am flummoxed.

Thanks,

TD

Ben Sandee
2007-10-02, 20:28
On 10/2/07, tyler_durden <
tyler_durden.2xuybb1191381602 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
>
> My hardware has arrived, but I can't locate the 9/26 release of
> slimserver. Can someone post a link to the windows .exe?

http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/nightly/SlimServer_v2007-09-26/SlimServer_trunk_v2007-09-26.exe

tyler_durden
2007-10-02, 20:45
Thanks!

TD

tyler_durden
2007-10-02, 21:32
That did it. It is working now.

You ought to make this thread a sticky!

TD

autopilot
2007-10-03, 11:27
That did it. It is working now.