PDA

View Full Version : Just received Jive hardware - stuck at first base

cliveb
2007-09-27, 06:50
I've just received the Jive hardware as part of the beta trial, and I appear to have a problem straight away.

My understanding is that Jive only works with Slimserver 7.0. But after searching around, I can't see anywhere to download a Windows version of SS 7.0. All paths to 7.0 appear to arrive at a folder listing which has versions for MacOS, Redhat RPM, one with a suffix of ".deb" (A Debian install, presumably?), and a couple of .tar.gz files. But no Windows builds as far as I can see.

Can anyone help me out here?

EDIT: Sorry - cancel that. There's no Windows build in the "Latest" directory, but I found one in yesterday's nightly build folder. (This is the first time I've ever looked for nightly builds, so I didn't know my way around).

Patrick Dixon
2007-09-27, 06:54
I think you are going to have to live with yesterday's http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/nightly/SlimServer_v2007-09-26/

... it looks like the latest one didn't get built.

Siduhe
2007-09-27, 07:00
I would perhaps hold off until tomorrow - there's been a problem with the Jive firmware (blank player menu issue) and we were asked to hold off upgrading from the Sept 18th nightly version.

I got an email this morning saying it was ok to upgrade to nightlies from 27th September onwards...

bklaas
2007-09-27, 07:15
We had a motherboard failure on the build server, which is why the daily builds didn't happen today. I think we're getting new equipment today.

cheers,
#!/ben

kdf
2007-09-27, 08:09
On 27-Sep-07, at 6:54 AM, Patrick Dixon wrote:

>
> I think you are going to have to live with yesterday's
> http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/nightly/SlimServer_v2007-09-26/
>
> ... it looks like the latest one didn't get built.

The build computer is awaiting a mother board replacement today.
Builds should return tomorrow.
-kdf

nicketynick
2007-09-27, 14:39
I would perhaps hold off until tomorrow - there's been a problem with the Jive firmware (blank player menu issue) and we were asked to hold off upgrading from the Sept 18th nightly version.

I got an email this morning saying it was ok to upgrade to nightlies from 27th September onwards...

So does this advice stand? Is the 26th September nightly good to go?

andyg
2007-09-27, 14:45
On Sep 27, 2007, at 5:39 PM, nicketynick wrote:

>
> Siduhe;230419 Wrote:
>> I would perhaps hold off until tomorrow - there's been a problem with
>> the Jive firmware (blank player menu issue) and we were asked to hold
>> off upgrading from the Sept 18th nightly version.
>>
>> I got an email this morning saying it was ok to upgrade to nightlies
>> from 27th September onwards...
>
> So does this advice stand? Is the 26th September nightly good to go?

I would suggest waiting until the next Jive firmware is built (when
our build machine gets fixed), but don't upgrade your SlimServer
until you upgrade Jive.

See this note for details: http://forums.slimdevices.com/
showthread.php?t=38747

Craig
2007-09-27, 14:47
So does this advice stand? Is the 26th September nightly good to go?
I only recieved mine today and already had the 26th September nightly installed but the remote pulled a firmware of the same date from somewhere.

Craig

nicketynick
2007-09-27, 15:01
On Sep 27, 2007, at 5:39 PM, nicketynick wrote:

>
> Siduhe;230419 Wrote:
>> I would perhaps hold off until tomorrow - there's been a problem with
>> the Jive firmware (blank player menu issue) and we were asked to hold
>> off upgrading from the Sept 18th nightly version.
>>
>> I got an email this morning saying it was ok to upgrade to nightlies
>> from 27th September onwards...
>
> So does this advice stand? Is the 26th September nightly good to go?

I would suggest waiting until the next Jive firmware is built (when
our build machine gets fixed), but don't upgrade your SlimServer
until you upgrade Jive.

See this note for details: http://forums.slimdevices.com/
showthread.php?t=38747

Thanks, Andy, I think I understand. I got the Jive today, and haven't installed any SS7 yet, so I should wait until the server is fixed before I even bother with SS7, otherwise I'll have buggy f/w. Correct?
You should highlight your note at the bottom of your info post - I almost didn't catch it!

Edit: Um, what the heck did Craig get?

Craig
2007-09-27, 15:19
Edit: Um, what the heck did Craig get?
It says version 1r578 wed sep 26 01:26:32 PDT 2007

Craig

nicketynick
2007-09-27, 15:29
It says version 1r578 wed sep 26 01:26:32 PDT 2007

Craig

Aah, not higher than 600, so its either 18 September (math is about right), or it has the 'blank Choose Player' problem?

Fifer
2007-09-28, 00:39
My experience is similar to Craig's. Mine arrived yesterday, so I downloaded the 26th September nightly and (after I eventually remembered that the alpha characters in my full length WPA key were lower case), the Jive connected to my network and pulled down an updated firmware and seems to be working fine (I didn't have much time to play; that's for this weekeknd).

First impressions after a very brief play? Positives: very neat unit, I like what I've seen of the interface so far, could be just what I wanted as a remote (which my N700 wasn't). Negatives (I suspect mainly firmware and user-training fixable): entering the WPA key was a pain, I managed to get it into a mode where the middle button didn't respond (needed to pop the battery to fix) and I must find out how to reduce the click volume.

Dumb question. Does anyone know the default unc format for the music folder on a TS-101? I'm running 7.0 from my PC (as I can't run it on the QNAP) and it's pointing to my local music back-up just now as I can't get it to point to the QNAP music folder.

I'm going to have fun with it this weekend ...

smc2911
2007-09-28, 05:30
I got mine today. Downloaded the 26th Windows version (leaving 6.5 on my nix box for now: can't bring myself to give up all the plugins yet!) and, after upgrading f'ware, got the missing Player problem. I tried upgrading the f'ware (from http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/nightly/latest/7.0/) using SD card (since there's not a Windows version of the server there) but that also seems to be r609 and I still have the missing player problem, so I'm assuming I need to wait for a more recent Windows server.