PDA

View Full Version : Jive hardware impressions

Mark Lanctot
2007-09-26, 12:53
OK, since I can't upgrade the firmware until a fix is put in, I'll limit my comments to the hardware only.

Overall impressions: very, very nice! The remote feels well-built and substantial. Balance and size is perfect for one-handed operation. Buttons are nice and clicky. Screen is gorgeous, backlighting features very nice, startup sound and navigation sounds are high-quality. The scroll wheel is great. I love the motion sensor!

Negatives: Battery door, as many have mentioned. The wireless card is very weak, I get very poor reception in areas where a Squeezebox2 has no trouble, and where a Transporter and a laptop run fine. However this doesn't seem to affect operation, it's still pretty snappy.

The method of text selection is very time consuming, although I don't see how it could be changed. But it makes entering in a long passphrase a 20-minute affair...(only to have it reject a 63-character WPA2 passphrase, but that might be a firmware thing.)

Other impressions and bugs are more limited to firmware, and I've stuck with the firmware it shipped with - PQP2 (richard@jive-arm #35). I can't change it because I can't find the September 18th firmware - the oldest 7.0a1 SlimServer is September 19th today.

Once I can get more recent working firmware I'll post firmware impressions.

snarlydwarf
2007-09-26, 13:11
You should be fine with the current firmware, but you will have to manually install a Perl module since Debian (and assumedly Ubuntu) suck and have an ancient version of libjson-perl.

Install it from CPAN and you're good to go.

Mark Lanctot
2007-09-26, 13:48
But doesn't firmware later than Sept. 18 have a "blank home screen" bug?

dean
2007-09-26, 13:55
On Sep 26, 2007, at 12:53 PM, Mark Lanctot wrote:
> Other impressions and bugs are more limited to firmware, and I've
> stuck
> with the firmware it shipped with - PQP2 (richard@jive-arm #35). I
> can't change it because I can't find the September 18th firmware - the
> oldest 7.0a1 SlimServer is September 19th today.
>
> Once I can get more recent working firmware I'll post firmware
> impressions.

No, that's been fixed, as far as I can see. Use the latest nightly
7.0 build of SlimServer:

http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/nightly/latest/7.0/

And once connected you should be prompted for an upgrade
automatically, just like Squeezebox.

Mark Lanctot
2007-09-28, 07:29
OK, some progress, some regress...

I managed to update the firmware. It wouldn't allow me yesterday, it seems SlimServer never downloaded the Jive firmware. The Jive remote could not find the new firmware.

It did today, but the Jive remote never prompted me for an update. I had to do it manually.

This worked fine, but now the Jive remote won't connect to SlimServer. The "Choose Player" screen is blank even though I have an SB2 connected to SlimServer and running fine. Settings - Controller Settings - Music Source shows the SlimServer's computer name just fine and indicates the correct IP address and port but does not list the version. Also the Jive time isn't displayed - I presume it gets this from the server as well now.

Edit: D'oh, I see Andy posted the following:

Right, r609 will not work with an older SlimServer pre-9/28. If you've got your Jive updated to r609 you need to get the latest SlimServer.

Also I find Jive Home seems to skip over Settings for some reason, jumping right from "Extras" to "Choose Player" most times.

Oh and the MAC address does not match the MAC address printed inside the battery compartment at all. An OUI lookup indicates the MAC comes from "Murata Manufacturing Co., Ltd." in Japan for the curious. ;-) But this MAC discrepancy screwed me up when I first tried to connect to my wireless network.

I'm running the Sept. 26th nightly with 1 r609 firmware now.

Mark Lanctot
2007-09-28, 07:40
A couple more funky firmware glitches when the battery is removed and reinserted:

- after the pleasant startup tone, there's an "acknowledgement click"

- I have to go through setup again, choosing a language, a wireless region and a network. Fortunately previous networks and passphrases are remembered!

And the screen flickers when it gets turned off by the power saver.

We'll see if the problems I was having getting the previous firmware to wake the remote up after deep sleep persist. This would occur when I'd place the remote in the charger for a substantial length of time - when I'd go to pick it up it would be dead, not turning on by motion or any button. I had to reinsert the battery to bring it to life again. This hasn't happened yet.

But, it isn't all bad: remote login (SSH) is working fine in this firmware, it did not in the initial firmware I was using (wouldn't accept the password). So I loaded Tetris onto it! :-)

Patrick Dixon
2007-09-28, 07:40
The "Choose Player" screen is blank ....

I'm running the Sept. 26th nightly with 1 r609 firmware now.That fw requires the Sept 27 nightly which wasn't built for windows or debian ... but Andy's working on it.

See andyg's thread http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=38747

Mark Lanctot
2007-09-28, 07:44
That fw requires the Sept 27 nightly which wasn't built for windows or debian ... but Andy's working on it.

See andyg's thread http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=38747

Thanks Patrick, I missed that! Been way too busy lately and haven't been reading the Jive forum.

Mark Lanctot
2007-09-28, 08:26
Ah! Running the latest nightly, now connected to SlimServer, err, SqueezeCenter, connected to player, got the proper time.

Carry on!

Mark Lanctot
2007-09-28, 10:58
I've been noticing how the platform reports wireless connectivity, and there could be some improvements to be made here - it's never as bad as it seems to indicate.

The signal strength beacon bars indicate little or no connectivity where I have my Transporter, and the platform's SNR, RSSI etc. numbers show poor connectivity as well. Abysmal actually, SNR numbers of less than 10! Yet it remains connected and snappy, and DD-WRT in my router reports "signal quality" (a much better indicator than signal strength) is comparable to the Transporter.

I just noticed something else - when charging, often the screen doesn't go off.

Mark Lanctot
2007-09-30, 20:36
One thing that's really bugging me now is that the screen won't go off when the unit is charging.

I sleep in the same room as the remote so I have to remove it from the charging stand. Of course it's dead in the morning.

Guess on a positive note I'm continually deep-cycling the battery. But the constant usage can't be good for the LCD backlight...

I should upgrade to r616.

Skunk
2007-10-01, 04:47
I should upgrade to r616.

You probably should, but r616 won't allow JHB (or you) to sleep properly when in the cradle. I just press+hold the home button if I want it charging and off.

Mark Lanctot
2007-10-01, 14:00
I like how it immediately leaps to the Home page now when it initializes, no more going through the setup screen again.

But I did manage to hard-lock it twice in a row when trying to view albums with album art. I first tried this in a low connectivity area to see if there was good bandwidth. The unit "thought" a bit with the ">" icon spinning slowly, then loaded the list but locked after that.

I pulled the battery and tried this right next to the router, it started loading album art but suddenly the screen went off with the backlit buttons still on. Another hard lock.

I tried it a third time, starting the album art loading next to the router, then moving to the lower connectivity location, and it worked this time. Album art started loading and kept loading. Incidentally it loaded at the same rate regardless of location, so I believe bandwidth is sufficient even if it was reporting low connectivity (which may not be the case as I've discussed).

I'm still playing catch up on Jive stuff since I didn't monitor this forum when it first started. Also things are pretty busy for me personally and professionally right now so I may not be up to speed on when to report bugs and when to just write a post about it.

kdf
2007-10-01, 16:24
I like how it immediately leaps to the Home page now when it initializes, no more going through the setup screen again.

More recent builds do not overwrite the filesystem when you update. This keeps the settings intact, but ALSO any custom hacks that you scp onto the device. So if you do any mods, make sure you do a factory reset before wondering why a given update feature hasn't taken effect. Once you do a factory reset, you'll have to reset you WPA, wallpaper, soundeffects, etc.

-kdf

nicketynick
2007-10-01, 17:35
You probably should, but r616 won't allow JHB (or you) to sleep properly when in the cradle. I just press+hold the home button if I want it charging and off.

Um, where do you find out what the latest revision of the JHB software is, and what's new?

kdf
2007-10-01, 17:55
On 1-Oct-07, at 5:35 PM, nicketynick wrote:

>
> Skunk;231689 Wrote:
>> You probably should, but r616 won't allow JHB (or you) to sleep
>> properly
>> when in the cradle. I just press+hold the home button if I want it
>> charging and off.
>
> Um, where do you find out what the latest revision of the JHB software
> is, and what's new?

latest rev is downloaded each day by slimserver, and jive will prompt
you when it starts up if there is a new .bin.

As for what's new, watch bugzilla for reports, any that get fixed.
Join the Jive-checkins mailing list (I'm sure the details are in a
sticky, or searchable)
Go to the campfire room for devs (details posted in dev forum),
although that get get more detailed that you want.

otherwise, you get the important notices here, and in emails from
Mickey for the beta test folks.

It's a beta hardware program, so will take a bit of extra effort to
get what you are after.

-kdf

nicketynick
2007-10-01, 18:52
Thanks kdf.
I'm at r616 already, and haven't been through an update, thanks for the tip. After some hunting around I found the mailing-list - a little old-school, but effective!
I haven't figured out yet how to keep current following bugzilla, there just seems to be too little s/n.

kdf
2007-10-01, 19:31
On 1-Oct-07, at 6:52 PM, nicketynick wrote:

> I haven't figured out yet how to keep current following bugzilla,
> there
> just seems to be too little s/n.

do a search, pick the advanced search option
leave the query blank, but select only Jive items under the Product
field.

the url would be hugely awful to read, but here it is:
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/buglist.cgi?
query_format=advanced&short_desc_type=allwordssubstr&short_desc=&product
=Jive+Hardware&product=Jive
+Software&long_desc_type=allwordssubstr&long_desc=&bug_file_loc_type=all
wordssubstr&bug_file_loc=&keywords_type=allwords&keywords=&bug_status=NE
W&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status
=VERIFIED&emailassigned_to1=1&emailtype1=substring&email1=&emailassigned
_to2=1&emailreporter2=1&emailcc2=1&emailtype2=substring&email2=&bugidtyp
e=include&bug_id=&votes=&chfieldfrom=&chfieldto=Now&chfieldvalue=&cmdtyp
e=doit&order=Reuse+same+sort+as+last
+time&field0-0-0=noop&type0-0-0=noop&value0-0-0=

this results in 240 bugs, many resolved. You can edit the search to
include only the more recent ones if you edit the field in the lower
right corner:

Only bugs changed between:
se to between something like -2 and now. this gives you the last two
days.

-kdf

nicketynick
2007-10-02, 05:19
Thanks kdf, as always your patience is appreciated. In a week or two, I might be up to speed!