PDA

View Full Version : Amazon MP3 store beta

andyg
2007-09-25, 17:50
Amazon launched their MP3 store in beta form today. LAME-encoded VBR mp3 (V0, 256k avg), DRM-free, embedded id3v2 cover art. One catch is you need to use their downloaded app for buying full albums, so you must be using Windows or Mac (a Linux version will be released later).

Balthazar_B
2007-09-25, 18:36
Gee, I can imagine all kinds of possible Slim/Logitech integrations in the future with only a few enhancements to the Amazon service :-). Gotta love web services!

As in while listening to SlimNetwork stations (maybe with an Amazon group), hitting a button to purchase a song you like and automatically adding to library/indexing it with Slimserver. And other, more social-networky options farther on in the future...

erland
2007-09-25, 19:53
Amazon launched their MP3 store in beta form today. LAME-encoded VBR mp3 (V0, 256k avg), DRM-free, embedded id3v2 cover art. One catch is you need to use their downloaded app for buying full albums, so you must be using Windows or Mac (a Linux version will be released later).

One thing I really would love is the ability to browse some music store with my SqueezeBox, preview the tracks directly on the SqueezeBox and optionally also buy the music directly from the SqueezeBox.

If they just offered the MP3 store data and preview links over their web services, this would probably be pretty easy to do.

TCM
2007-09-26, 00:30
One thing I really would love is the ability to browse some music store with my SqueezeBox, preview the tracks directly on the SqueezeBox and optionally also buy the music directly from the SqueezeBox.

If they just offered the MP3 store data and preview links over their web services, this would probably be pretty easy to do.

You mean like the Magnatune plugin for SlimServer (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=170797&highlight=magnatune#post170797)? (at least the browsing/previewing part)

agentsmith
2007-09-26, 01:55
This is great news! I just bought an Eberhard Weber album for $8.99. Finally us non-American can buy some real music online. iTunes has so far been useless to most non-US buyers and the low bit rate and DRM is just useless anyway.

Yes a Magnatune like plugin would be very cool.

All and all a good gadget week. Just went home with an Nespresso espresso machine, and I could not believe now even I can make a perfect espresso/latte much better than the crap at Starbucks! it is a phoenominal piece of engineering and design!

Aguida
2007-09-26, 04:09

SOunds great, but what is the link to it? I tried to browse around in amazon but can't find it.

Thanks

ALessandro

SumnerH
2007-09-26, 09:20
SOunds great, but what is the link to it? I tried to browse around in amazon but can't find it.

Thanks

ALessandro

Just go to the front page ( http://www.amazon.com ) and do a search, selecting "MP3 Downloads" from the dropdown as the part of the site you want to search. Or click "MP3 Music Downloads" in the Browse navigation box on the left.

If that doesn't work, try:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/163856011

snarlydwarf
2007-09-26, 09:34
There are also links to "Buy this as mp3!" from album pages.

Almost bought Liquid Tension Experiment, but alas, they are missing two tracks from the mp3 download for some reason.

nicketynick
2007-09-26, 09:44
From the Terms of Use agreement:

5. Territorial Restrictions

As required by our Digital Content providers, Digital Content will, unless otherwise designated, be available only to customers located in the United States.

I wonder how long until they either block ip's, roll it out in other countries.....

SlimPvC
2007-09-26, 12:29
Still think 0.99 per track is way too expensive. Downloading a full album makes the price not-so-very-different from a 'real' cd. Difference is too small.
I'll stick to Emusic. Far better deal, although you have to have a monthly subscription.

nicketynick
2007-09-26, 12:33
Yeah, I'm sticking with emusic for now too, but Amazon's access to the mainstream labels (and their back-catalogs) is going to make it hard to ignore indefinitely. And surely competition for our $$ is going to lead to better pricing.....
It would be nice if emusic were able to sign up the same labels.

andyg
2007-09-26, 12:49
Well, the price if you buy a whole album is usually better than iTunes, I bought one last night for $8.99.

nicketynick
2007-09-27, 07:01
Well, the price if you buy a whole album is usually better than iTunes, I bought one last night for $8.99.

That's true - competitive markets in action! But for $8.99, I'd rather buy the CD (new or used) and have the lossless files. Sooner or later the market is going to realize mp3 is compromised, and pricing is going to reflect that (I hope......).
Actually, you can already see this at zunior.com, a small Canadian music site - flac albums are $2.00 more than mp3.

TiredLegs
2007-09-27, 10:48
Note that thus far, only two of the four major music labels (EMI and Universal) have made their tunes available on the Amazon MP3 store. Warner and Sony BMG are holding out because of the lack of DRM, although numerous independent labels are there already.

dem
2007-09-27, 17:59
I've bought about 50 songs since yesterday to fill gaps in some of my playlists. It works quite well, and of course the files work fine on the SB3.

With iTunes, I had to burn, re-rip, re-encode, and re-tag a track to free it from DRM, which was a real pain. iTunes Plus make this somewhat easier.

The biggest problem I've had with Amazon so far is that every song purchase results in a separate charge to your credit card, and apparently my card provider limits me to around 20 charges a day. You also get a confirmation mail for each purchase, which is a pain. Amazon needs to batch up charges and confirmation messages like iTunes does.