PDA

View Full Version : SlimServer - maintaining the music library

be661
2007-09-25, 16:11
I still can't quite come to grips with how SlimServer is maintaining the music library. Am I correct in assuming the only way to build the music library is to have SlimServer scan? Is there no manual access to modifying what music shows up when I browse?

Specifically,
1. Can I delete music from the Slim Server music library without deleting the music from my hard disk and rescanning?
2. I'd like to keep CD music in two formats. One - in iTunes compressed format for my iPod. Two - in WAV or FLAC for playing through my Squeezebox at home on my real stereo. Can this be done? Where would I store the FLAC files so that SlimServer finds them, but they're not part of iTunes?

Thanks for any help for this nube.

erland
2007-09-25, 19:36
1. Can I delete music from the Slim Server music library without deleting the music from my hard disk and rescanning?No, I dont think so.

2. I'd like to keep CD music in two formats. One - in iTunes compressed format for my iPod. Two - in WAV or FLAC for playing through my Squeezebox at home on my real stereo. Can this be done? Where would I store the FLAC files so that SlimServer finds them, but they're not part of iTunes?
If you like iTunes to only show MP3 and SlimServer to show both MP3 and FLAC you don't have to do anything special. iTunes will ignore the FLAC files since it doesn't understand the FLAC format.

However, I'm guessing that you only want to FLAC files in SlimServer and not the MP3 files ?

If this is the case, here is two ways to do it:
Solution 1: Make sure the FLAC files and MP3 files is stored in two completely different main directories, point the SlimServer Music Folder setting in Server Settings to the FLAC folder.
Solution 2: Set the "Disabled Audio File Extensions" setting i SlimServer in "Server Settings/File Types" to "mp3,aac" or whatever formats you want SlimServer to ignore.

I would personally recommend solution 1, but dependent on your usage there might be cases where solution 2 is easer or better.

I'm personally using the flac2mp3.pl script which can be found by searching in the forum. In a setup like solution 1 you can point this script to the FLAC folder and it will create MP3 files based on the FLAC files with the same structure as the FLAC folder. There is also other tools available that does the same thing.

be661
2007-09-25, 21:54
Ah. Lightbulb on. Thanks for the info. Sounds like solution 1 is what I want. If I rip all my CD's into a completely separate file location, then I can do what I want. The only bummer is having to rip all my CD's (again).

Then, for some songs that I download from iTunes in their new non-DRM, higher quality file format, I'll just have to manually copy them from the iTunes directory to the SlimServer directory, right?

autodrivel
2007-09-25, 23:56
Hi,

I'm in the same situation as be661.
I've just got a Squeezebox and want to get the best quality I can so I've decided to re-rip all my CDs into FLAC.
However, my kids use iTunes+iPods so I need MP3 as well.
So erland's solution #1, looks like the way to go.
However, there is an aspect of the "dual library" approach which hasn't been covered: Namely, we have assimilated a goodly number of (mp3) tracks in iTunes for which we don't have CDs. I would like to be able to play these on the Squeezebox - but obviously can't rerip into FLAC.

So my query is this:
If I setup the following toplevel folder structures:
\Music
\FLAC (for FLAC encodes)
\MP3 (for MP3 copies of the FLAC files)
\COMMON (for non-FLAC MP3's)

Can I configure SlimServer (and iTunes for that matter) to build their libraries from TWO root directories (Music\FLAC & Music\Common for SlimServer and Music\MP3 & Music\Common for iTunes)?

erland
2007-09-26, 00:08
So my query is this:
\Music
\FLAC (for FLAC encodes)

Can I configure SlimServer (and iTunes for that matter) to build their libraries from TWO root directories (Music\FLAC & Music\Common for SlimServer and Music\MP3 & Music\Common for iTunes)?

In SlimServer you just create a shortcut(On Windows) or soft link(On Linux/Mac) in the FLAC directory and points it to the COMMON directory.

I think iTunes can have music from where ever you want, just make sure to disabled the iTunes setting that moves the music into Artist/Album structure.

snarlydwarf
2007-09-26, 00:09
You can do that easily with SlimServer. The degenerate case is to make a directory: "My SlimServer Music" or some such, that has Windows-shortcuts pointing to any directories you want to have in SlimServer (ie .../FLAC, .../MP3, etc). I would think iTunes would do something similar or if it refuses to follow shortcuts then it should allow multiple paths.. no clue, since I don't have it.

autodrivel
2007-09-26, 00:17
Woah!
Speedy replies!

Thanks guys - I'll check into the shortcut thing when I get home.

jeffmeh
2007-09-26, 04:07
Hi,

I'm in the same situation as be661.
I've just got a Squeezebox and want to get the best quality I can so I've decided to re-rip all my CDs into FLAC.
However, my kids use iTunes+iPods so I need MP3 as well.
So erland's solution #1, looks like the way to go.
However, there is an aspect of the "dual library" approach which hasn't been covered: Namely, we have assimilated a goodly number of (mp3) tracks in iTunes for which we don't have CDs. I would like to be able to play these on the Squeezebox - but obviously can't rerip into FLAC.

So my query is this:
\Music
\FLAC (for FLAC encodes)

Just to make sure you are aware of this when planning your library structure.... If you acquired the MP3s from ITunes and they have DRM, then you will not be able to play them through the SB3.

JJZolx
2007-09-26, 13:16
1. Can I delete music from the Slim Server music library without deleting the music from my hard disk and rescanning?
No. If it's in the music folder, SlimServer sees it and catalogs it and then displays it in the web and remote interfaces. To remove something you need to move it out of the music folder or delete it and then rescan.

Keep the two formats in two different directory trees. Point SlimServer at only the root of the Flac music folder and make sure that the folder with the compressed files isn't 'beneath' the other, and that there are no links/shortcuts from the Flac folder into any part of the compressed folder.