PDA

View Full Version : Scanner.exe crashes when rescanning everything

fred7
2007-09-24, 19:33
I am having a problem with scanner.exe whenever I try to clear library and rescan everthing. It is crashing and I get the Windows box "scanner.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." It seems to work when I just look for new and changed music but I've moved some of my files around and wanted to start from scratch. Anybody have any ideas? I haven't changed anything that I know of but obviously something must have changed because this used to work great.

My system info is:

SlimServer Version: 6.5.4 - 12568 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252
Server IP address: 192.168.2.2
Perl Version: 5.8.8 MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
MySQL Version: 5.0.22-community-nt

The debug log shows:

commit ineffective with AutoCommit enabled at C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 706.
Commmit ineffective while AutoCommit is on at C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 706.
ERROR: DBD::mysql::db commit failed: Commmit ineffective while AutoCommit is on at C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 706.

ERROR: Backtrace follows:

Backtrace:

frame 0: Slim::Schema::throw_exception (/<C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\slim.exe>DBIx/Class/Schema.pm line 606)
frame 1: DBIx::Class::Schema::txn_do (/<C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\slim.exe>Slim/Music/Import.pm line 241)
frame 2: (eval) (/<C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\slim.exe>Slim/Music/Import.pm line 233)
frame 3: Slim::Music::Import::setIsScanning (/<C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\slim.exe>Slim/Music/Import.pm line 152)
frame 4: Slim::Music::Import::launchScan (/<C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\slim.exe>Slim/Control/Commands.pm line 1958)
frame 5: Slim::Control::Commands::wipecacheCommand (/<C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\slim.exe>Slim/Control/Request.pm line 1483)
frame 6: (eval) (/<C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\slim.exe>Slim/Control/Request.pm line 1483)
frame 7: Slim::Control::Request::execute (/<C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\slim.exe>Slim/Control/Request.pm line 772)
frame 8: Slim::Control::Request::executeRequest (/<C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\slim.exe>Slim/Web/Setup.pm line 1454)
frame 9: Slim::Web::Setup::__ANON__ (/<C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\slim.exe>Slim/Web/Setup.pm line 2941)
frame 10: Slim::Web::Setup::processChanges (/<C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\slim.exe>Slim/Web/Setup.pm line 2695)
frame 11: Slim::Web::Setup::setup_HTTP (/<C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\slim.exe>Slim/Web/HTTP.pm line 843)
frame 12: Slim::Web::HTTP::generateHTTPResponse (/<C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\slim.exe>Slim/Web/HTTP.pm line 709)
frame 13: Slim::Web::HTTP::processURL (/<C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\slim.exe>Slim/Web/HTTP.pm line 555)
frame 14: Slim::Web::HTTP::processHTTP (/<C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\slim.exe>Slim/Networking/Select.pm line 238)
frame 15: (eval) (/<C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\slim.exe>Slim/Networking/Select.pm line 238)
frame 16: Slim::Networking::Select::select (slimserver.pl line 499)
frame 17: main::idle (slimserver.pl line 42)
frame 18: PerlSvc::Startup (perlsvc line 850)
frame 19: PerlSvc::_startup (slimserver.pl line 0)
frame 20: (eval) (slimserver.pl line 0)

Siduhe
2007-09-25, 01:44
What anti-virus / internet security do you have installed? McAfee or Norton by any chance?

Try adding an exception in your anti-virus as follows:

either a) ignore *.myi or *.myd files or b) add exception for slim.exe and scanner.exe (both in your Slimserver directory). Depending on your anti-virus product you should be able to do one of these two actions.

HTH

fred7
2007-09-25, 06:54
I am running Kaspersky. I actually tried stopping it before running the music scan but the same problem occured. After reading your suggestion I figured that I would give it a try and it seemed to work - thanks! I didn't think that it should matter because I had Kaspersky turned off but now I am wondering how 'turned off' Kaspersky really is when I stop it. Kind of strange that adding scanner.exe to the trusted list would work if Kaspersky was truly turned off.

Siduhe
2007-09-25, 07:34
I can't speak for Kaspersky, but Zone Alarm, McAfee and Norton all have a level of protection which blocks "suspicious" activity, even if the program is "disabled" or switched off. Wouldn't surprise me if Kaspersky was the same.

I assume it is intended to protect against a virus or spyware which disables them on activation.

Glad you got it sorted.

fred7
2007-09-25, 10:33
Oh well, it may have just been a weird coincidence that it worked after changing the Kaspersky settings. After a successful 'Clear Library and Rescan everything' scan I decided to run it again to test it - this time it didn't work. I got the same error message. 'Look for new and changed music' works so at least I'm still running. I'll try to see if I find any pattern.

pemrich
2007-09-26, 11:37
The problem you have plagued me for months. I run XP SP2 and have a large music collection. I finally upgraded from 512M RAM to 2.5G RAM about 4 months ago. The problem has not occurred since then. The SB3 command response is a lot better, too.

Good Luck!

fred7
2007-09-26, 14:33
The problem you have plagued me for months. I run XP SP2 and have a large music collection. I finally upgraded from 512M RAM to 2.5G RAM about 4 months ago. The problem has not occurred since then. The SB3 command response is a lot better, too.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the suggestion but I don't think that it's a memory problem for me since I have 2GB already. I tried re-installing Slimserver and that didn't work. I did notice that after a clean reboot I can do the rescan without any issues so I think that there is some sort of interaction going on between some of my programs and the scanner. From the debug info it looks like it's some sort of mysql problem. I'm looking for a pattern but for me this isn't too much of an issue for me since the regular scan works and I can do a full rescan after a reboot.

oreillymj
2007-09-27, 01:42
It sounds like a corrupt file that the scanner doesn't like or a shortcut causing a loop, but the Autocommit does sound like a MySQL issue.

My suggestions.

1) Enable more debug options like d_scan to figure out if the crash always happens on a certan file/directory.

or

2) Maybe you should delete the MySQl cache and tables and let Slimserver rebuild everything.

fred7
2007-09-27, 21:22
It sounds like a corrupt file that the scanner doesn't like or a shortcut causing a loop, but the Autocommit does sound like a MySQL issue.

My suggestions.

1) Enable more debug options like d_scan to figure out if the crash always happens on a certan file/directory.

or

2) Maybe you should delete the MySQl cache and tables and let Slimserver rebuild everything.

Actually I think that I'm not going to pursue this any more because it's not too much of an issue for me and it happens so randomly. I started this thread just wondering if this was a common problem. I was trying to set up some more debug logging as you suggested but the scanner crashed twice but on the third time it ran. It seems that it never starts right and crashes or finishes to completion. Since the rescan works every time and I seldom do a full scan it doesn't really matter to me. That being said, how do I delete the MySQL cache and tables? If it's simple maybe I'll give it a try.

MrSinatra
2007-09-27, 22:58
What anti-virus / internet security do you have installed? McAfee or Norton by any chance?

Try adding an exception in your anti-virus as follows:

either a) ignore *.myi or *.myd files or b) add exception for slim.exe and scanner.exe (both in your Slimserver directory). Depending on your anti-virus product you should be able to do one of these two actions.

HTH

i use avast, and i set exclusions for slim and scanner.

i'm hoping it makes my scans quicker.

i don't see the *.myi or myd files, where/what are they and should i set exclusions for them as well?

are they dbase files? if not, are there dbase files it would make sense to exclude?

assuming the slim.exe file i excluded is itself virus free, is there any other danger in excluding it, such as it manipulating virus laden files?