PDA

View Full Version : Switching from PC to Mac

Ray70
2007-09-24, 02:00
Current set up: Dell PC and QNAPS 101. Slimserver is running on the QNAPS and all my CDs are ripped to FLAC using EAC.

I've decided that my next computer will be a Mac. The computer is mainly used for photos, home movies and is used a lot by my kids and I think the Mac is probably better suited for my needs.

What should I do with my current music collection though. I think the options are:

a) Keep ripping new music in to FLAC using EAC. I have a Dell laptop which I will be keeping. That can be used for ripping duties going forward.

b) Rip new music in to FLAC using the Mac. Can this be done?

c) Rip new music in to Apple lossless using Itunes. If I have some of my music in FLAC and some in Apple losless, will I have any problems?

d) Re-rip everything in to Apple lossless. Obviously, this will take me ages (500+ CDs).

Have I missed any options and are there any pros / cons in the options I have identified? I'm assuming that I can connect the QNAPS to the Mac and continue to run Slimserver as usual. If this is not the case, please would someone point this out to me. Thanks.

givendale
2007-09-24, 02:59
You already have everything set up. You're just changing the laptop. Continue ripping to flac.

You will be able to connect to Slimserver via any operating system as it is a web based interface.

Givendale

Siduhe
2007-09-24, 03:03
b) Rip new music in to FLAC using the Mac. Can this be done?

A few people have recommended Max for Mac ripping - it does FLAC according to the wiki.

http://sbooth.org/Max/

bephillips
2007-09-26, 20:01
Continue using flac. Max works for ripping to flac, though does not yet do replay gain to my knowledge.[edit: their other app, "Play" does this] For this I use foobar2000 in Windows running on an Intel Macbook and replay gain the files on the server mac over the network from within windows. For tagging in Mac use Tag(free) or MediaRage ($), though you can also do this in Foobar over the network, which is what I end up doing because Foobar is so great, even though I'm in general loathe to use Windows. Album art agregator in windows is also handy.

The word is that flac will be natively supported under Mac OS 10.5, so also in quicktime and iTunes/iPod presumably.

muski
2007-09-26, 21:21
I switched from PC to Mac a couple years ago. About the only thing I miss about Windows is EAC, which I used to rip my collection into FLAC. I think you have three options:

1) Keep ripping with EAC on your laptop. Then just connect over the network to the Mac and copy the FLAC files over. (If you have enough disk space on both your laptop and your Mac this solution also gives you a backup, too).

2) You can use Apple's bootcamp and set up part of your hard disk to run Windows XP. I would only use XP for ripping with EAC, and then copy the files over to the Mac OS. The only drag about this is you have to reboot to change OSes.

3) You could get Parallels for Mac which allows you to run Windows XP in a window inside the Mac OS. The early releases of Parallels didn't work with EAC, but the latest version does. It is much more convenient than Bootcamp and makes it really easy to move files back and forth between the two OSes. Also, if your kids need to run some random Windows program, you'll be all set.

I use solution #3 and find it very convenient.

muski

Meatwad650
2007-09-26, 21:47
I've never done EAC but thinking about starting doing it, just for ripping. Although I view it as a temporary solution as I'm sure Max will have a secure ripping solution real soon.

bephillips
2007-09-26, 21:59
I recently tested it. Doesn't do replay gain by album, only track, so I was still using foobar to replay gain.

In other news, mac users can now see/search flac tags from within Finder/Spotlight/Get Info using this "importer" from the maker of Max:

http://www.sbooth.org/importers/

Empgamer
2007-09-27, 12:07
I believe there is a programme called Titanium Toast that will rip to FLAC on Macs. I'm currently moving so to speak but may well just keep a PC going for ripping (I use dBpowerAMP).

bephillips
2007-09-27, 14:05
Toast is a great disc burning/backup/tivo tool, burns audio CDs directly from flacs, but not so great for ripping CDs, and costs like $70.

Max works well for this, and is free. Those folks also make "Play", which provides the replaygain scanning lacking in Max, and can also edit tags. Free also. These are all you need. EAC under Parallels or abcde in the Terminal (see the Wiki beginners guide) if you want full Paranoia ripping.

earthbased
2007-09-28, 20:53
Continue using flac. Max works for ripping to flac, though does not yet do replay gain to my knowledge.[edit: their other app, "Play" does this] For this I use foobar2000 in Windows running on an Intel Macbook and replay gain the files on the server mac over the network from within windows. For tagging in Mac use Tag(free) or MediaRage ($), though you can also do this in Foobar over the network, which is what I end up doing because Foobar is so great, even though I'm in general loathe to use Windows. Album art agregator in windows is also handy.

The word is that flac will be natively supported under Mac OS 10.5, so also in quicktime and iTunes/iPod presumably.

Foobar will probably run under Parallels...

bephillips
2007-09-28, 23:34
As I said, I have been using Foobar2000 under Parallels. Foobar can't properly access the optical drive, though EAC can.

bobschneider
2007-10-02, 09:36
A few people have recommended Max for Mac ripping - it does FLAC according to the wiki.

That's what I use, ripping to flac. It works great with CDs that are in good shape. For CDs in bad shape, EAC on a Windows desktop works better than Max on my Macbook Pro (although EAC is much less convienent for setting up tags). I suspect that the difference is a better CD drive in the desktop rather than a software difference, but I don't know that for sure. I've considered buying an external CD drive for the Macbook Pro to see if that helps with bad CDs, since I much prefer working with Max when I can.