PDA

View Full Version : Multiple functions on a key press,

Craig
2007-09-20, 07:40
Following on from a suggestion elsewhere about being able to jump to an album when a track you like comes up on Randomplay, Is it possible to assign more than one function to a key press?

ie Right, Down, Down, Play.

This would give the functionality suggested above and I for one would find it pretty usefull.

Craig

erland
2007-09-20, 22:17
Following on from a suggestion elsewhere about being able to jump to an album when a track you like comes up on Randomplay, Is it possible to assign more than one function to a key press?

ie Right, Down, Down, Play.

This would give the functionality suggested above and I for one would find it pretty usefull.

Craig

I don't think it is possible today unless you have a universal remote which you can program a macro on that issues the four keypresses. I doing this you should be aware of that the contents of the menu to the right of a track will be different depending on which tags that exist. As an example, a composer item is only shown if a composer tag exist. I would imagine that this could cause problem where a specific command requires tree "downs" on some tracks and two "downs" on other tracks.

I also don't think connecting buttons to key press sequences is the correct way to solve this problem. Sometimes I want to go to the album, sometimes I just want to find other music from the same artist, sometimes I want to find same music within the same genre. If I am going to setup custom button for all these sequences I will run out of buttons on the remote pretty soon.

I think a better way, which would require a bit more work, would be if we could have some sort of access button that showed possible functions on the selected item. This of course wouldn't result in less key presses in your particular case, but there are other much longer sequences where this would be very helpful.

For example, if pushed the access button on a album I would get a menu that contains:
- Play this album in straight track order
- Play this album in random track order
- Browse albums within the same genre as this album
- Browse album from the same artists as this album
- Show tracks for this album
- Create a MusicIP mixer based on this album

And when I pushed the access button on a track, I would get a menu that contained:
For example, if pushed the access button on a album I would get a menu that contains:
- Play this track
- Play all tracks on the same album as this track
- Browse music from the same artists as this track
- Show playlists which contains this track
- Show track details
- Create a MusicIP mixer based on this track

The access menu could contains functions relevant for the selected item. To make it really useful and extendible it should also be possible for plugin to add its own menu entries in the access menu for a specific type of object.