PDA

View Full Version : SlimServer problems on Vista

autodrivel
2007-09-19, 04:42
Hi,

Can anyone help with this problem....

I'm trying to install the latest SlimServer (6.5.4?) on a PC running Vista Ultimate (32-Bit).
The installation proceeds okay until the end when it stalls and appears to be waiting for the SlimServer Service to Start.
If I check the latter under Admin Tools/Services, sure enough, the SlimServer service shows a status of "starting".
I can't kill the service, the only way out is to reboot.
The PC on which I am trying to install SlimServer, is my media machine and has a number of Streaming Servers already installed.

Could the stalling-on-startup be due to a port conflict of some sort with one of the other servers. (I have already uninstalled my TwonkyVision Server since it also uses port 9000).

My supposition is supported by the following: I have a second PC running the same OS (but with no Media Servers) and the SlimServer software installs and runs without problems.

Does anybody have any advice on which ports to check out for conflicts and/or any other opinions on what might be causing the hang-up when starting?

Thanks for any help

Roger

mherger
2007-09-19, 05:13
> Could the stalling-on-startup be due to a port conflict of some sort
> with one of the other servers. (I have already uninstalled my
> TwonkyVision Server since it also uses port 9000).

That's already a good thing to do. Run "netstat -an" from the command line and make sure nothing else is listening on 9000/tcp, 9090/tcp and 3483/tcp/udp.

Michael

Club1820
2007-09-19, 09:12
How long are you waiting before restarting? I also installed on Vista and it also "hung" at the end, or at least I thought it did. I also restarted and tried again to reinstall.

But I then just let it sit there for a couple of minutes and it finished installing. So perhaps if you walk a way for a bit, when you come back it may be ok. Just a suggestion - it worked for me.

No idea why it takes so long.

Triode
2007-09-19, 11:40
One of the things I found with vista is that it seems to be lazy in updating the status of a service. So it is worth waiting a couple of minutes to see if the status changes.

autodrivel
2007-09-19, 12:06
No luck Guys, I've left it for half an hour at a time and it still doesn't finish the "Starting" phase

Triode
2007-09-19, 12:41
Do you have 3rd party firewall/AV software? I believe SS will try to use the network when it starts up and this can sometimes stall until you authorise the connection with the firewall s/w.

Otherwise does the install create all the files? If you have a slimsever icon in the startup menu after rebooting, then try starting it by right clicking and selecting run as admin. This may start the server ok, depending on how far the installer got. [you should not normally need to run as admin, but you do to start/stop the service]

autodrivel
2007-09-19, 23:10
Triode

Good call!

It turns out it was the Zone Alarm firewall.
Although, I can't quite figure why or where ZA was blocking access.
I had the slim.exe fully authorised in the programs area of ZA - i.e. allowed to Connect to... and act as a Server in... in both the Trusted Zone (i.e. local LAN) and the Internet. But SlimServer still didn't start.
I also tried turning Zone Alarm off and still no joy.
Only when I fully uninstalled Zone Labs did SlimServer start to run.
My current thinking is it's something to do with the TruVector service which ZA installs (and which is still active even when ZA is shutdown).

For the moment, I've gone back to using the Vista Firewall.

I'll investigate further and post an error report if I find any reproducable issues

Roger