PDA

View Full Version : Initial setup advice for noob

Ocki The Swede
2007-09-18, 02:40
Hi

I am completely new to this forum and to the world of SB3 music streaming.

I have a standalone PC (i.e. no laptop) and a DSL 10Mbit modem attached to it via a 15 metre long cable.

I have just bought a SB3 and am in the process of purchasing a wireless router.

Could you please advice me on a router that is proven to work with this product/setup. It would be great to have a draft .n compatible router for future purposes (unsure of whether there is a stable one on the market as of yet).

Also, could you please direct me to a initial setup FAQ on this or another forum?

Best regards,

OTS

jeffmeh
2007-09-18, 03:56
Welcome.

Here is a good place to start.

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?BeginnersGuide

davep
2007-09-18, 04:01
Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of streaming audio.

On the issue of selecting a router you could take a look at this article in the wiki which discusses various models that users have had experience with. http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?RouterStatus

Also on the wiki you will find several other articles relating to getting started, such as this one, which links to various others. http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?BeginnersGuide

Do ask here if you get stuck - you'll find this a very helpful forum full of people who between them have solved almost any question related to squeezebox/slimserver set ups that could ever have been imagined.

davep

Ocki The Swede
2007-09-18, 12:54
Thanks guys.

But what I really am looking for is a low-energy combined router/server from where I can run Slimserver in order for me to be able to switch off my PC.

Preferrably I would like a device with the possibility to connect my USB 400Gb external hard drive to store all files. Is there such an device (at reasonable cost)?

Best R,

OTS

Eric Seaberg
2007-09-18, 16:45
Thanks guys.

But what I really am looking for is a low-energy combined router/server from where I can run Slimserver in order for me to be able to switch off my PC.

Preferrably I would like a device with the possibility to connect my USB 400Gb external hard drive to store all files. Is there such an device (at reasonable cost)?

Best R,

OTS

I bought a Mac MINI just to act as a server. I purchased a refurb and added AppleCare giving it a full 3-year warranty. It sits in a closet with a firewire 500GB drive attached and a CAT-5 cable plugged into it.

I do have a router to handle that aspect with the wired and wireless SB3/Transporters in the house, and they can be had for $50 or less.

The Mac MINI does NOT have kbd, mouse or monitor attached as I access it via Timbuktu Pro for control, kinda like REMOTE ACCESS for you PC guys. It works great!! When I need to add new tunes, I mount its HD via the network to one of my towers, rip lossless files to it using iTunes, have SlimServer rescan the files after ripping and all is good.

You can find a MINI for less than $600 for an Intel 1.8GHz Duo Core processor. If you MUST have a kbd, mouse and monitor, anything will plug into it.

Happy 'slimming'!!

davep
2007-09-18, 16:47
OK, so what you're really looking for is a NAS. Do a search on the forum for NAS - you'll find dozens of threads on this with all sorts of recommendations about which ones work, etc. Expect to have to do a bit of wrestling though to get things the way you want them.

This won't replace the need for a router though, you still need to have the network infrastructure in place, it just enables you to turn off your PC (and replace it with a lesser powered sort-of-computer, the NAS).

davep

Ocki The Swede
2007-09-20, 02:07
Thanx,

But this whole NAS-thing seems a bit complicated/exepnsive for me as a noob.

Came to think of that I actually has a PIII standing unused in a closet.

Been thinking all night and came up with the following strategy. Need your advice though on whether it is a viable option:

1. "Mainframe" stationary PC in my work room connected to Internet DSL (via cable to the PC) and a wireless router (also connected via cable to PC).

2. Living room: This is where I will put my old PIII with an external USB HDD 250GB connected to it. This is where I will store all my torrents and music catalogue. The PIII will be connected to the living room LCD flat screen and have installed Firefox and Slimserver. (Need your suggestions on how to connect the PIII to the network wirelessly - via USB wireless card or access point?). In this way I will hopefully be able to stream the audio files from slimserver on this machine to the SB.

Via a wireless keyboard I should be able to surg the WWW from the couch also (right?).

3. The kitchen. Here we have our stereo. I will install the SB here.

I am contemplating a router like the Linksys wrt54GL/GS plus a USB network stick.

- Is this a do-able setup? Will I have the appropriate bandwidth/speed for the SB to run properly?
- Is it a workable/fast enough solution to have all the music files on the external HDD connected to the PIII?

Best regards,

OTS

Ocki The Swede
2007-09-20, 02:13
Thanx,

But this whole NAS-thing seems a bit complicated/expensive for me as a noob.

Came to think of that I actually have a PIII standing unused in a closet.

Been thinking all night and came up with the following strategy. Need your advice though on whether it is a viable option:

1. "Mainframe" stationary PC in my work room connected to Internet DSL (via cable to the PC) and a wireless router (also connected via cable to PC).

2. Living room: This is where I will put my old PIII with an external USB HDD 250GB connected to it. This is where I will store all my torrents and music catalogue. The PIII will be connected to the living room LCD flat screen and have installed Firefox and Slimserver. (Need your suggestions on how to connect the PIII to the network wirelessly - via a USB wireless card or an access point?). In this way I will hopefully be able to stream the audio files from slimserver on this machine to the SB.

Via a wireless keyboard I should be able to surf the WWW from the couch also (right?).

3. The kitchen. Here we have our stereo. I will install the SB here and connect it via analog connections.

I am contemplating a router like the Linksys wrt54GL/GS plus a USB network stick(access point for the PIII.

- Is this a do-able setup? Will I have the appropriate bandwidth/speed for the SB to run properly?
- Is it a workable/fast enough solution to have all the music files on the external HDD connected to the PIII?

Best regards,

OTS

davep
2007-09-20, 04:49
Not sure I read your post correctly in a hurry but why don't you just connect your HD with the music files to your PC in your work room, install Slimserver on it and connect it to the network. Then you don't even need the other PC at all.

davep

Ocki The Swede
2007-09-20, 06:27
davep,

That would be an alternative, however than I would lose the functionality of having a dedicated "media server" in my living room (connected to the LCD TV), Internet functionality, possibility to see downloaded material on the LCD etc.

I would also strive to get the PIII as lean on the electricity as possible (disconnecting all unnecessary components in it).

Again, this is me, a noob, talking. No idea if it would work in reality.

Best r

OTS

davep
2007-09-20, 08:42
No problem if you want to have a media server connected to the TV and the ability to look at websites from the living room, but you might still be better off having the HD with your music on it connected to the machine in another room so as to avoid to potential for noise from the disk (I have a couple of Maxtors which really chug sometimes, especially when scanning). All of your music will be visible and controllable from either machine.

davep

Ocki The Swede
2007-09-21, 01:15
Thanks,

I realized that the SB has a bridge functionality. Would it be possible to connect my PIII directly to the network via ethernet cable to the SB?

Could I then remote the PIII to power on via the SB?

Best r

OTS

davep
2007-09-21, 03:32
Thanks,

I realized that the SB has a bridge functionality. Would it be possible to connect my PIII directly to the network via ethernet cable to the SB?

Could I then remote the PIII to power on via the SB?

I am pretty sure you can run the PIII wired to the SB3 with the SB3 connected wirelessly to your network. The wiki page here http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?NetworkDesign has some useful discussion of just this towards the end of the article. You couldn't manage to control the power for the PIII but you might be able to get it to do Wake On LAN which would be almost the same thing.

davep

Ocki The Swede
2007-09-21, 04:18
Interesting...

Also, I just came across this network product which is run over the house/apartments' electrical AC/DC outlet. Any thoughts on such a solution for the SB?

https://www.datorbutiken.com/se/Navigation/Details.aspx?Product=DEVHS200S

jeffmeh
2007-09-21, 04:43
Interesting...

Also, I just came across this network product which is run over the house/apartments' electrical AC/DC outlet. Any thoughts on such a solution for the SB?

https://www.datorbutiken.com/se/Navigation/Details.aspx?Product=DEVHS200S

There are quite a few posts on the forum from people who are using these "homeplug" devices with success. IMO, it makes sense if you cannot run ethernet cable and if you have insurmountable problems with wireless.