PDA

View Full Version : Jive Beta Testing Experience

ezkcdude
2007-09-17, 20:54
I got my Jive remote today. I like the interface and the feel of the remote. It recognized my wi-fi right away. Only problem is it doesn't seem to know I have a SqueezeBox. I installed SS7 for the first time...no change on the remote. What should I try? I'm eager to use this sexy beast.

dean
2007-09-17, 20:56
On Sep 17, 2007, at 8:54 PM, ezkcdude wrote:
> I got my Jive remote today. I like the interface and the feel of the
> remote. It recognized my wi-fi right away. Only problem is it doesn't
> seem to know I have a SqueezeBox. I installed SS7 for the first
> time...no change on the remote. What should I try? I'm eager to use
> this sexy beast.
Do you have a Choose Player menu? If so, what are the choices in
it? Also, is your Squeezebox working and connected to that SlimServer?

ezkcdude
2007-09-18, 05:37
Nope. No "Choose Player". The SB3 is connected through SS7 and is playing.

ezkcdude
2007-09-18, 05:51
I did a factory reset, and went through the setup process again. It works now. So begins the testing phase...A couple things to say so far:

I like the feel of the scroll wheel and center button. Very snappy. However, quite often a single click of the center button turns into a double or triple click. I think I will get used to this, but it would be frustrating for many people. It's also problematic for the WEP setup screen, where sometimes a single-click apparently will send you forward several digits. If you don't pay close attention, you could easily screw up entering the passkey.

I noticed on the Now Playing option, it doesn't actually show you the currently playing song. Instead, similar to the SS UI, it shows the entire current playlist starting with the first song.

That's it for now. I'll add my thoughts to this thread as I use the device more. (BTW, thanks to the Slim Devices/Logitech crew for setting me up with one of these. Pretty darn cool.)

ezkcdude
2007-09-18, 06:58
A couple more quick comments. The cradle is really nice - just what I would expect from SD. However, docking the remote doesn't quite feel right. It doesn't really "snap in" to the cradle. This is a minor gripe, but I think it should be a little more like other docks where you really feel the connection. Also, I thought the remote should beep or something when it's docked, but mine doesn't it. I'm pretty sure I have enabled the sound, so maybe this is a bug with mine?

I also am wondering how do you turn off the Squeezebox from the remote?

rtitmuss
2007-09-18, 07:38
Thanks, for the feedback.

However, quite often a single click of the center button turns into a double or triple click. I think I will get used to this, but it would be frustrating for many people.

Yes, this is a known issue. Some units are worse than others, sounds like you might be unlucky. This should be fixable in a firmware upgrade.

Also, I thought the remote should beep or something when it's docked, but mine doesn't it. I'm pretty sure I have enabled the sound, so maybe this is a bug with mine?

It should, do you get any sounds? For example it should click when scrolling.

I also am wondering how do you turn off the Squeezebox from the remote?

You can't yet: http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=5498

ddewey
2007-09-18, 08:16
Quoting ezkcdude (ezkcdude.2x37xn1190087702 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com):

>
> I got my Jive remote today. I like the interface and the feel of the
> remote. It recognized my wi-fi right away. Only problem is it doesn't
> seem to know I have a SqueezeBox. I installed SS7 for the first
> time...no change on the remote. What should I try? I'm eager to use
> this sexy beast.
>

Did I miss something? Is there a way to get in on this Jive remote
beta program? Is there an application process? Do I need to donate
time/money/blood/one of my childrens kidneys?

mflint
2007-09-18, 08:26
Did I miss something? Is there a way to get in on this Jive remote
beta program? Is there an application process? Do I need to donate
time/money/blood/one of my childrens kidneys?

I'm glad it's not just me with "Jive-Envy"! :)

M

funkstar
2007-09-18, 09:06
I don't know how people are selected, but i got an email from Michael Valera a couple of weeks ago inviting me to participate.

My Jave remote is waiting for me to get home tomorrow to play with it :)

Siduhe
2007-09-18, 09:09
At a wild guess, it's on number of postings in this very forum...a very nice thank you to people who contribute regularly but don't code for example.

funkstar
2007-09-18, 09:14
I wouldn't be too sure.

2eleven only has 20 posts against his name
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=38335

ezkcdude
2007-09-18, 11:24
I don't know how I got so lucky to be invited, but I'm very happy about it. I've wanted a wi-fi remote for a long time, and even thought about getting a Nokia N800 or the new iPod Touch. Now I can put that off for a while.

As for the sound on my remote, it definitely makes sounds when I click and scroll. I'll check again tonight when I get home from work.

bklaas
2007-09-18, 13:06
You can't yet: http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=5498

I checked in a fix for the player on/off bug today. Look for it in tomorrow's build.

#!/ben

ezkcdude
2007-09-18, 17:52
Well, still no sound upon docking. Another more serious problem came up, though. Somehow, I made it crash. I had a very long playlist (100 songs). I was playing around with the various buttons on the remote, and I guess some combination was not liked. I don't know if I can repeat it, though.

ezkcdude
2007-09-18, 21:29
Ok, I think I know what's going on with the dock. When I am playing a playlist and set the remote in the dock, it takes several seconds (5-10?), switches to a mode where you only see the current song on the screen (along with a progress bar), and it beeps at this time. Is this the correct behavior? I was expecting the beep to occur as soon as the remote is placed in the cradle.

Also, I did a software update, but I still don't have on/off options.

ezkcdude
2007-09-18, 22:55
I did a software update again. Now the remote beeps immediately after docking.

Another slight bug - as you turn up the brightness, there is a point just before maximum brightness, that the screen actually dims for two or three levels.

Overall, I'm getting used to the remote, and liking it more and more. I realized that there are several options for the "Screensaver" mode, although the "Now Playing" one seems the most useful. However, all the clocks are very pretty. If I had a Flickr account, I would probably use it. RSS feeds might be another useful one.

snarlydwarf
2007-09-18, 22:58
The screensavers seem nice to me, but they seem to crash the remote. Leaving it on the Clock option tends to lock it up. A memory leak maybe?

ezkcdude
2007-09-19, 04:19
The screensavers seem nice to me, but they seem to crash the remote. Leaving it on the Clock option tends to lock it up. A memory leak maybe?

Glad you posted this. That's exactly what I was going to write as I woke up this morning. The screensaver (Analog clock) was stuck on 1:05 AM (about 5 minutes after the computer was turned off for the night), and I had to reset the remote.

Siduhe
2007-09-19, 04:51
Glad you posted this. That's exactly what I was going to write as I woke up this morning. The screensaver (Analog clock) was stuck on 1:05 AM (about 5 minutes after the computer was turned off for the night), and I had to reset the remote.

Same here with the Block Clock screensaver. Also, there doesn't seem to be any way to turn the remote off - and the powersaving features don't seem to be enabled on mine.

peterw
2007-09-19, 06:43
Overall, I'm getting used to the remote, and liking it more and more. I realized that there are several options for the "Screensaver" mode, although the "Now Playing" one seems the most useful. However, all the clocks are very pretty. If I had a Flickr account, I would probably use it. RSS feeds might be another useful one.

Sounds like it'd be good for SaverSwitcher to support this thing. If I had one, I could imagine switching between an album art saver and an RSS image feed saver.

Do the Jive savers integrate with the normal player savers? It'd be nice if the Jive screen could act as a "third screen" for a particular player. E.G. have MusicInfoScr show textual info on the SB/Tp and album art on the color Jive screen.

bklaas
2007-09-19, 06:47
Same here with the Block Clock screensaver.

I opened a bug against this. My hunch is that the lockup has nothing to do with the clock, but rather something that comes up after the unit sits idle for a long period (and thus whatever screensaver you have running will be on the screen)
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=5518

Also, there doesn't seem to be any way to turn the remote off - and the powersaving features don't seem to be enabled on mine.

You can turn the remote off with a click-hold of the home/power button (lower right from scroll wheel).

cheers,
#!/ben

ezkcdude
2007-09-19, 06:50
The screen savers are nice (assuming the bugs get worked out). However, I'm just wondering if the current screen size is simply too small, to make them of any use. You really have to be within a 2-3 feet (unless you have eagle eyes), or holding the device. Also, unless you are looking at it straight away, the viewing angle is fairly small. I've seen the iPhone in person, and a Nokia N770, and those are both much more "watchable" over long periods of time. Still - this is just a hardware issue. The wi-fi capability and software extensibility seem like great things to build on. Assuming, of course, there is a big enough end-user and developer market to make it worth selling the device eventually. In practice, it really comes down to how people are going to use this thing. I guess that's what us betas are for.

snarlydwarf
2007-09-19, 08:14
I opened a bug against this. My hunch is that the lockup has nothing to do with the clock, but rather something that comes up after the unit sits idle for a long period (and thus whatever screensaver you have running will be on the screen)
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=5518

I don't think its the idle: if I tell it to leave the brightness on (what good is a clock that vanishes?) with None as the screensaver, it works fine. Mine was on all night like that. But if I turn on the clock it will crash within an hour or two.

Is there a way to help debug? I see syslog is running on the box, would having it remote-log to my server help?

rtitmuss
2007-09-19, 08:21
Is there a way to help debug? I see syslog is running on the box, would having it remote-log to my server help?

Unfortunately is still a todo item to get the application to log to syslog, now if you could fix that it would really help :).

I do already have some debug for the clock screensavers, they do cause an OOM error. Still need to trace the cause.

Siduhe
2007-09-19, 08:49
You can turn the remote off with a click-hold of the home/power button (lower right from scroll wheel).

cheers,
#!/ben

Thanks for the bug open. Sadly though, click hold doesn't switch my unit off. Have tried holding for 10 secs or more and nothing. Could be a faulty button.

ezkcdude
2007-09-20, 21:34
My remote has fallen asleep and won't wake up. I think the On/Home button doesn't work that well.

sbjaerum
2007-09-21, 02:20
My remote has fallen asleep and won't wake up. I think the On/Home button doesn't work that well.

Out of battery?
Try to turn it on while in the craddle.

mherger
2007-09-21, 02:50
>> My remote has fallen asleep and won't wake up. I think the On/Home
>> button doesn't work that well.
>
> Out of battery?
> Try to turn it on while in the craddle.

I've experienced the same: when left running after I've shut down players and server, it's stuck. I had to remove the battery to get it running again.

Michael

ezkcdude
2007-09-21, 05:33
Yeah, I don't think it's the battery. Actually, I'm going to test a theory later today. I think maybe it occurs after I hit the pause button and leave it on pause for several minutes. At any rate, even when in the cradle it doesn't come back on. I have to take out/put back the battery to get it to come back on when this happens.

crooner
2007-09-21, 16:18
Cool guys. Thanks for your feedback on the Jive Beta Testing. Much appreciated.

Wish I had one of those remotes though. I saw the iPod Touch at the Apple Store today. Almost bought the darned thing!

I hope the new remote makes it to the market soon, but I guess that will depend on the prompt success of the beta testing. So, keep it up guys!

ezkcdude
2007-09-24, 05:31
I found a bug. In the "Now Playing" Screensaver mode, when it switches to a song that doesn't have artwork, it still draws the cd art from the previous song (or probably the last song that had album art).

Also, I thought about the fact that the remote freezes up when I go to bed at night. Is this because I turn my SlimServer PC off? I don't know how the clock screensavers work. Do they get the time from the PC or from the internet connection (eg SqueezeNetwork)?

ezkcdude
2007-09-27, 15:02
This may have been brought up somewhere else, but one thing that bugs me is that the currently playing song isn't selected/hilighted when you scroll through to "Now Playing". It always starts at the top of the playlist. I think the focus should always be on the song that is, well, now playing.

Also, although my skills are improving, turning on and off the remote is still quite annoying, due to the delay. I'm guessing this problem would generate the most user complaints if the device went into production right now.

adamslim
2007-10-03, 06:29
Unfortunately is still a todo item to get the application to log to syslog, now if you could fix that it would really help :).

I do already have some debug for the clock screensavers, they do cause an OOM error. Still need to trace the cause.

I have an odd problem with the clock screensaver: it's wrong - 9 hours ahead. The clock in the bottom bar (with the wifi and battery indicators) is fine, but the screensaver one is out.

Jive v616

Adam

dean
2007-10-03, 09:20
On Oct 3, 2007, at 6:29 AM, adamslim wrote:
> I have an odd problem with the clock screensaver: it's wrong - 9 hours
> ahead. The clock in the bottom bar (with the wifi and battery
> indicators) is fine, but the screensaver one is out.

Adam: does it fix if you reboot the device?

-dean

oreillymj
2007-10-03, 09:37
I opened bug 5646 for this.

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=5646

The classic clock on my remote was 1 hour ahead of real time last night after upgrading to r622, 4 hours ahead this morning and is now 6 hours ahead of real time.

A reboot does not fix, a power cycle did, but only temporarily.

adamslim
2007-10-03, 14:28
I opened bug 5646 for this.

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=5646

The classic clock on my remote was 1 hour ahead of real time last night after upgrading to r622, 4 hours ahead this morning and is now 6 hours ahead of real time.

A reboot does not fix, a power cycle did, but only temporarily.

I have added to the bug. Mine is always between 11pm and midnight; the hours are wrong but the minutes right.

Adam

ezkcdude
2007-10-10, 05:48
I haven't used the Jive remote in a few weeks. It's just been sitting in the cradle. I wanted to update the firmware, so I turned it on and - lo and behold - I find that the "Enter" button is not working, so I can't navigate through the menus. Anybody have a similar problem? I think I'll just put it back in the cradle, and try again tonight.

GoCubs
2007-10-10, 08:13
My Jive remote arrived a few weeks ago, but ironically I was in Mountainview on business and it arrived at home in Chicago.

At first I had the infamous 'now playing' issue... fortunately that appears to have been fixed in the latest firmware.

I know there's a lot of performance tweaks going on, but it's not as responsive as I would like and it'd be nice if it the album art was more instantaneous.

The wheel is definitely a good UI choice, however as it stands I constantly find myself overshooting the screen item that I want and having to go back and forth to highlight it. Perhaps theres a wheel that offers some sort of subtle clicking feedback with each click representing a menu item.

My iPhone has volume buttons on the side which I find to be an ideal place. If at all possible I'd recommend moving the volume buttons to the side.

As already mentioned by others, holding the home button for 20 seconds isn't great for powering off. I understand in its current state this is more of a reboot and will be changed in the future.

I find myself having wifi signal problems too. They tend to be spuratic and taking out the battery usually resolves them. The wifi signal indicator/clock also does not seem to update very often.

One question I do have... is the SD card socket solely for firmware upgrades or will the remote use it to cache album art/etc?

That's it for now. Overall I'm very excited about the product and the potential it offers. When I have some time I'd like to get my SuperDateTime and the Sirius plugins integrated into it too.

-Greg

tyler_durden
2007-10-10, 08:38
My iPhone has volume buttons on the side which I find to be an ideal place. If at all possible I'd recommend moving the volume buttons to the side.

I think the volume buttons are fine where they are. If you put volume buttons on the side of the remote, you're likely to press them whenever you put the remote in or pull it out of the charger stand, unless you don't mind handling the remote by the display and leaving grubby fingerprints all over it.

TD