PDA

View Full Version : Remote keeps repeating

Lennox
2007-09-17, 06:23
Greetings,

I've had my SqueezeBox 3 happily set up for a couple of months, but a couple of weeks ago the remote started going a bit funny - not responding, jumping wildly through menus, etc. I have just returned home after a week away and now it was virtually unusable. It either didn't respond or it automatically scrolled all the way through menus/options (up/down direction and left/right). Thinking it might have been a remote problem, I dug up my old Slimp3 remote (Sony) but the same problems occurred. I turned on the debug function for ir and the log showed that for each button push that registered (which wasn't every one), there was a repeat function that kept going (eg. up_repeat). Thinking then it was firmware related, I reinstalled 6.5.4 and updated the firmware (it was already 81, but thought it might have been corrupted). No change. So I uninstalled it all and dropped down to 6.5.1 (the previous firmware). I was able to install the server and get the firmware installed (which I assume is 72), but the problem still existed. In fact, it is so bad I can't even set up my wireless networking because each time I press right on the remote, it keeps skipping all the way though (so I can't enter my WEP details or anything). Press left and it goes all the way back to the start. So now I have a useless Squeezebox, with firmware 72 (I am guessing - can't get in to see), and two remotes that have the same problem. Any ideas?

Lennox

SumnerH
2007-09-17, 10:32
Greetings,

I've had my SqueezeBox 3 happily set up for a couple of months, but a couple of weeks ago the remote started going a bit funny

I assume you tried replacing the batteries?

Lennox
2007-09-17, 15:38
I assume you tried replacing the batteries?

Yes. In both remotes.

Anoop M.
2007-09-17, 16:32
Can you try connecting hard wired and see if that helps at all?

Lennox
2007-09-17, 17:31
Can you try connecting hard wired and see if that helps at all?

I moved my Squeezebox closer to my router and decided to try the setup again with wireless (still looking for another ethernet cable). Setup worked fine, no problems with the remote. But once it was up and running, the same problem started again (although much less frequently and harder to reproduce). I can now confirm I have firmware 72 and server 6.5.1. Wireless strength is 100% (it is around 92% in the original position). I *did* recently change my router after bricking an old Linksys - I now have a Chinese TP-Link (I'm in China) with all Chinese menus. The Linksys router had it's own problems, and signal strength was about 15% lower than the TP-Link one provides.

I'm about to change my router to English menus and try setting up the Squeezebox with a wired connection. Will report back soon.

Anoop M.
2007-09-17, 17:36
You definately want to upgrade to the latest SlimServer 6.5.4 with firmware 81.

Lennox
2007-09-17, 18:06
You definately want to upgrade to the latest SlimServer 6.5.4 with firmware 81.

Okay, I've tried 72/6.5.1 wired, and it was fine, no remote problems at all. Re-upgraded to 81/6.5.4 and for wired it worked fine, but for wireless the same problem (much worse with 81/6.5.4 wireless than 72/6.5.1 wireless). Jumped back to wired, no problems, to wireless, same problem. Got my router in English (finally) and changed the channel from 6 to 1 to see if it made any difference, and no luck. Any ideas now?

Lennox

Anoop M.
2007-09-17, 18:11
Seems to either be a router problem or a wireless interfierance problem. Maybe hardwire is the best solution for you?

Lennox
2007-09-17, 18:20
Seems to either be a router problem or a wireless interfierance problem. Maybe hardwire is the best solution for you?

Definitely not my preferred solution... I would have stuck with my Slimp3 otherwise. Any other advice? When I tried it wired it was through the router, so it doesn't seem to be a router problem. So I'm thinking it is a wireless interference problem, but the signal strength is at 100%.

Lennox
2007-09-17, 18:40
What I don't understand is why button presses on the remote either a) aren't followed (even if I wait for a long time), or b) end up repeating (after just one button push). And this only happens with the wireless connection.

Another thing I find odd is that when I change the setup from wireless to wired, the Networking setup has all the same remote problems right up until the final step when it connects using the wired connection. And the reverse is true - when I go through Networking setup when going from wired to wireless, no problems at all with the remote until the wireless connection takes hold. Surely the networking setup is a firmware thing, so having a wireless or wired connection to the server should make no difference - shouldn't the remote act the same way???

Very odd.

Anoop M.
2007-09-17, 18:45
The reason the remote function is non functional only on your wireless connection is because when a button is pressed on the remote the Squeezebox does not know what to do with that. It is SLmServer that is telling the Squeezebox what the button that was pressed is supposed to do. If your wireless connection is not good then there is a delay or in your case the remote just does not work.

Lennox
2007-09-17, 18:58
The reason the remote function is non functional only on your wireless connection is because when a button is pressed on the remote the Squeezebox does not know what to do with that. It is SLmServer that is telling the Squeezebox what the button that was pressed is supposed to do. If your wireless connection is not good then there is a delay or in your case the remote just does not work.

So with my wireless connection showing 100% and the network health test being 97% at 4000kbps, any ideas why the remote would act this way?

htrd
2007-09-17, 21:38
Does this help?

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=36270

Lennox
2007-09-17, 22:09
Does this help?

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=36270

Nope - daylight in the room only at the moment.

Lennox
2007-09-18, 21:28

This still doesn't make any sense to me. I can take my Squeezebox somewhere where there is no computer running (and no Slimserver), turn it on, and go through the network setup. The remote doesn't need to communicate with the SlimServer - surely this is a firmware thing. This is why the SqueezeNetwork works without the computer (and hence SlimServer) being turned on.

So if that is true, why does the remote act strangely when I am going from a wireless to a wired setup, but not when I am going from a wired setup to a wireless setup? To prove it, I did it both ways without the computer initially being turned on (and therefore no SlimServer) and got these results again.

Lennox
2007-09-18, 22:00
One other problem I've just noticed - when I have tracks playing with the wired connection, I have remote delay problems. No remote repeating like when it is wireless, but definite problems I've never had before.

Recently I've changed three parts to my computer setup:
1) New ISP;
2) New router (TP-Link TL-WR340G);
3) New firewall (Zone Alarm Pro instead of Sunbelt/Kerio).

New ISP should make no difference to the Squeezebox use, and I still get the same problems if the firewall is running or not. The router doesn't seem to have any particular settings in it that could cause problems (as far as I can see). Any ideas?

austinreid
2007-09-22, 11:23
I have the same problem - generally 3 inputs for every button I press. After reading this thread, I briefly wired up the SB, then went back to wireless - it now works (temporarily, I assume). I know that I have quite a few problems with my router, so it wouldn't surprise me if that is the cause.

BTW, the first SB I got had this problem so I returned it. This is the replacement, and it went several months without the problem.

JJZolx
2007-09-22, 14:04
This still doesn't make any sense to me. I can take my Squeezebox somewhere where there is no computer running (and no Slimserver), turn it on, and go through the network setup. The remote doesn't need to communicate with the SlimServer - surely this is a firmware thing. This is why the SqueezeNetwork works without the computer (and hence SlimServer) being turned on.

So if that is true, why does the remote act strangely when I am going from a wireless to a wired setup, but not when I am going from a wired setup to a wireless setup? To prove it, I did it both ways without the computer initially being turned on (and therefore no SlimServer) and got these results again.

The network setup is a program run from within the Squeezebox firmware. It has to be, since the SB3 isn't yet connected to the server or possibly even the network. Once the device is connected to SlimServer, all remote keypresses are passed through to the server, then the appropriate commands from the server are sent back to the device.

Lennox
2007-09-24, 07:22
The network setup is a program run from within the Squeezebox firmware. It has to be, since the SB3 isn't yet connected to the server or possibly even the network. Once the device is connected to SlimServer, all remote keypresses are passed through to the server, then the appropriate commands from the server are sent back to the device.

This is what I thought.

Because I have the same remote problems with the network setup, does this indicate it is not the fault of my router or wireless connection? I've taken the Squeezebox to a completely different part of house, all computer related equipment off and unplugged, and I have the same remote problems. Is this a hardware issue then? Or a firmware bug? The problem has been getting worse the longer it goes on.

Lennox