PDA

View Full Version : NAS Queries

debscol
2007-09-16, 15:54
I am looking for a NAS to connect wirelessly to my SB or via my BT home hub. I have been looking at the Buffalo Linkstation but whilst searching for a bargain on ebay i have come across the following NAS- Envizage.com external USB and 10/100 network attached (NAS) 500GB hard drive unit. I have contacted them to see if this will support slimserver. They gave a quick, honest but not very helpful, reply stating they don't know. They did however state that at least one other person has enquired and subsequently purchased one. Can any one tell me if this is a viable route or should i just bite the bullet and pay the extra 50 quid (I dont mind but my wife may take some convincing).

Cheers

COL>

jaysung
2007-09-17, 10:45
Well, I'd think that if you buy a solution that is well tested and will enable you and your wife to listen to romanitc music you are better off when compared to the following scenario:
- you save 50 bugs
- spend loads of time tinkering arround
- that you will not be able to listen to music
- that your wife will not see you
Just tell her that this extra 50 bugs will make for lots of time for the two of you that would otherwise be spend parted and damp and dull and with no networked streamed music. Give her a smile!
Being a father for 8 months and a computer nurt I know what I am talking about. ;)

bpa
2007-09-17, 12:46
Unlikely - usually a NAS that is capable of running slimserver already have a print server, a uPNP media server capability.

The envizage unit just looks like a basic file server.

Also it looks like no open source available nor has anybody hacked it yet - so you would be the person to hack, port and implement Slimserver.

mgraves
2007-09-17, 16:47
There's a Slim Server implementation for FreeNAS....which is BSD based.
I just built one around an old HP T5700 thin client and a USB 2.0
portable HD.

Michael

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 12:46:58 -0700, bpa wrote:

>
>Unlikely - usually a NAS that is capable of running slimserver already
>have a print server, a uPNP media server capability.
>
>The envizage unit just looks like a basic file server.
>
>Also it looks like no open source available nor has anybody hacked it
>yet - so you would be the person to hack, port and implement
>Slimserver.
>
>
>--
>bpa
>------------------------------------------------------------------------
>bpa's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=1806
>View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=38444
>
>

alfredolumbago
2007-09-18, 15:23
I am looking for a NAS to connect wirelessly to my SB or via my BT home hub. I have been looking at the Buffalo Linkstation but whilst searching for a bargain on ebay i have come across the following NAS- Envizage.com external USB and 10/100 network attached (NAS) 500GB hard drive unit. I have contacted them to see if this will support slimserver. They gave a quick, honest but not very helpful, reply stating they don't know. They did however state that at least one other person has enquired and subsequently purchased one. Can any one tell me if this is a viable route or should i just bite the bullet and pay the extra 50 quid (I dont mind but my wife may take some convincing).

Cheers

COL>

Hi Bro
Bite the bullet and get the Linkstation
you have seen mine up and running and

debscol
2007-09-20, 11:01
Thanks for all the helpful advive, I will just play it simple, keep the ball on the deck and go for the link station.

cheers

col.