PDA

View Full Version : Can I Save Internet Radio Stations As Favorites?

NFLnut
2007-09-15, 23:54
I just got my SB yesterday and think it's the coolest thing since I bought my first TiVo 7.5 years ago. However, I can't figure out how to save some Shoutcast stations that I listen to regularly as Favorites, or to somehow bookmark them. All I can see is a way to save a playlist, which I don't really understand how that works in regards to a radio station.

Aso, does anyone have any recommendation as to a GOOD (preferably free) tag editor for mp3's and FLAC files that will enable me to see all, or at least a large number at time, of my files and quickly edit them? I realize now how bad my tags are out of order, but I don't want to spend a year editing tags one at a time!

ChrisNY
2007-09-16, 05:56
The easiest method is probably to press and hold one of the # keys on your remote. This will save the station as your favorite for that number. A more involved (but more flexible) approach would be to install the MyPicks plugin. This has very good built in support to maintaining a list of favorites (including categorizing them, etc.). This will also get you access to the WikiRadio listing of stations that is maintained by other Squeezebox owners.

Search the wiki on the Slimdevices site (should be at the top of the page to the right of Forums) for Wikiradio or Mypicks for more detailed information.

Congrats on the purchase!

NFLnut
2007-09-16, 09:28
Thanks!

I knew there HAD to be way to do this. Despite the fact that I love my music collection, I get bored easily. I listen to a few Intrad stations when I am working. I have used Winamp for about 13 years, and I like SlimServer .. I just don't fully understand it yet.

Siduhe
2007-09-16, 09:59
If you have more than a few favourites, the MyPicks plugin is definitely the way to go IMHO.

Or, if you have AlienBBC installed, you can store your favourites as AlienBBC playlists there.

You may also want to look at the Wiki Radio page:

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?WikiRadio

HTH

NFLnut
2007-09-16, 16:36
WikiRadio looks promising, but I know absolutely NOTHING about OPML (all I know is it's some kind of "markup language," and I'm not even certain what THAT is) and it seems that there only only about a dozen or so listings.

I need something, similar to Winamp's bookmarks, where I can make permanent bookmarks on the fly of my favorite stations. Also, since I have a VERY short attention/tolerance span, my "favorites" change often (some also don't broadcast for very long and go "off the air"). Additionally, I can guarantee you that my tastes are COMPLETELY different than probably everybody who uses a Squeezebox, so "my" stations will NEVER appear in anyone's list!

Hudsonrilke
2007-09-18, 03:12
I too am totally confused how to save favourites. I can do this fine in squeezenetwork but not Slim server (6.54). I've tried holding a number key but to no avail. I've install the MyPicks plug in but I just don't understand it.
All I want to do is store a radio station, eg copied URL and tuned in, SB plays the station but how do I store this station for future use?

Siduhe
2007-09-18, 03:33
There's info on how to work MyPicks here (second post down) (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=24797&page=4) and here (http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?MyPicks).

If you don't mind having lots of favourites, you don't even need this - just go to the web editor while you are playing your station, and press save playlist - name it as you want - and it will appear in your Slimserver playlists.

However, a problem may arise when you have lots and lots of these individual playlists and want a better way to manage them. AFAIK Slimserver doesn't support more than one url per list unless it is in the MyPicks type format. You can then import these individual playlists into MyPicks if you want.

Hudsonrilke
2007-09-18, 03:46
Thanks, I'll have a go at this tonight.

Hudsonrilke
2007-09-18, 08:52
Siduhe,
Thanks that works a treat. I just didn't associate "save" to playlists.
2nd time you've helped me out. TVM

NFLnut
2007-09-19, 15:10
On a related note .. I have figured out MyPicks enough to save a few of my favorites there. Just don't ask me how to do it!

My next problem is .. in playing around with the forementioned procedure of pressing one of the number buttons and holding it to create a Favorite, it always gives me an error "Favorite x Not Defined." What's THAT all about?

Mark Lanctot
2007-09-30, 08:23
Aso, does anyone have any recommendation as to a GOOD (preferably free) tag editor for mp3's and FLAC files that will enable me to see all, or at least a large number at time, of my files and quickly edit them? I realize now how bad my tags are out of order, but I don't want to spend a year editing tags one at a time!

I see no one answered this one, try Mp3tag, http://www.mp3tag.de/en/