PDA

View Full Version : flac on squeezebox v3 rebuffering and dropouts

radii
2007-09-15, 22:04
I have a squeezebox v3 (firmware version 81) connected via 802.11b to slimserver 6.5.4. It plays Ogg just fine, but when I try to play FLAC it has very severe rebuffering problems. If I pause the player for 10 seconds and then press play, I get about 15 seconds of trouble-free playing before the stuttering starts again. Most of the time, playing a flac file means hearing at least one drop-out every 5 seconds, if not even more frequently.

The wireless network seems to be plenty fast enough; another machine in the same room clocks in at 450 kbyte/sec, and I never see rebuffering problems with Ogg.

Has anyone else seen similar problems playing FLAC? Is the FLAC decoder just less robust than the Ogg decoder?

Phil Leigh
2007-09-16, 02:30
The problem is not FLAC or its decoder - it is your wireless network. Ogg is compressed like mp3 and requires much less network bandwidth than flac...

How does your SB connect to your PC? is it via a wireless router?
Is either your PC or your SB wired to that router?
Can you run your network at G speed rather than B?

funkstar
2007-09-16, 03:27
The wireless network seems to be plenty fast enough; another machine in the same room clocks in at 450 kbyte/sec, and I never see rebuffering problems with Ogg.
450Kbyte/sec is a really poor wireless connection. You'll need in the region of 800kbit/sec for FLAC. Even that is a weak wireless signal.

Robin Bowes
2007-09-16, 03:50
funkstar wrote:
> radii;227348 Wrote:
>> The wireless network seems to be plenty fast enough; another machine in
>> the same room clocks in at 450 kbyte/sec, and I never see rebuffering
>> problems with Ogg.
> 450Kbyte/sec is a really poor wireless connection. You'll need in the
> region of 800kbit/sec for FLAC. Even that is a weak wireless signal.

450Kbyte/sec is actually not bad an 11b network - it's equivalent to
3600Kbit/sec - more than enough to stream flac, and even raw PCM.

However, if you have other clients connected at the same time (other
PCs, for example) then you might struggle.

R.

funkstar
2007-09-16, 05:29
450Kbyte/sec is actually not bad an 11b network - it's equivalent to
3600Kbit/sec - more than enough to stream flac, and even raw PCM.

Doh! I can't believe i actually got bit and bytes mixed up. I blame the lack of coffee, or perhaps too much coffee. You choose :)