PDA

View Full Version : SS ignoring iTunes library

BillEccles
2007-09-15, 13:51
Gentleones,

I am by no means a SlimDevices novice... no, I've got many happy years of using my SliMP3 under my belt, but today... today I am stumped. 100%, totally stumped.

I cannot get SlimServer to recognize my iTunes library. Here's the poop:

I ran into a problem earlier today when I noticed that I had no music through the house, so I looked into things and discovered that the SlimServer had declared the MySQL problem that some other folks are having with version 6.5.3. (I had not upgraded to 6.5.4.)

So I thought, it must need to be restarted, right? Cold system (MacOS X Server 10.4.10) reboot. Same MySQL error.

OK, then, you must need to be reinstalled, and I'll just use v 6.5.4 while I'm at it. All went well, except that the MySQL error occurred again. Hmmm. Well, how about a reinstall from scratch, deleting everything that I can find to delete, namely {~/Library/Caches/SlimDevices, /Library/StartupItems/Slim, /Library/PreferencePanes/SlimServer, and even the log file in ~/Library/Logs/slimserver.log}. (Some paths and names may not be quite right; I'm doing the list from memory.)

It starts up just fine, except that it looks at /Users/admin/Music for its music source and I'm going to tell it to look elsewhere, which I do by going to Home>Server Settings>iTunes and tell it that the path to the .xml file is /Volumes/Sound Master/Music/iTunes and the path to the files is /Volumes/Sound Master/Music/iTunes Music.

I then use Home>Server Settings>Basic Behavior and turn on "Use iTunes". Funny thing: neither "Use iTunes" nor "Do not use iTunes" is selected, but I know that the preference changes because I turned on d_prefs and also can see it in the slimserver.pref file.

Now if I clear the library and rescan, it finds absolutely nothing. And it gripes about nothing, too. And if I shut down and restart the server, it only tells me that my data source needs to be configured.

If I point the scanner at the library (using Home>Server Settings>Basic Behavior and select Do Not Use iTunes), it successfully scans my entire library, but, of course, doesn't know jack about what iTunes thinks (such as playlists, etc., which are contained in the xml file).

I got clever, though, and decided I'd just move a copy of my XML file to ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music.xml so that there would be no opportunity for SS to go looking elsewhere. I shut down SS, copied the XML file to ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music.xml, deleted the SS prefs file from ~/Library/SlimDevices, and restarted the server. As it should, it looks for music files in /Users/admin/Music and looks for playlists in /Users/admin/Music/Playlists and doesn't go looking for iTunes Music.xml. So I turn on "Use iTunes" and click Change, then clear and rescan. It STILL looks for files in /Users/admin/Music...

Oh, it does this in versions 6.5.0, 6.5.4 and 6.5.5.

Something is dreadfully wrong here, and I'm frustrated as heck.

[(From earlier thoughts: Is SS choking on the xml file? I recently upgraded to iTunes 7.4.1. Is there a debug setting which will show me what it's trying to do with the xml file? (d_iTunes doesn't do it, apparently.)]

What gives?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this problem.

Bill

BillEccles
2007-09-17, 10:37
All,

I discovered the problem: iTunes cannot be depended upon to reliably create an XML file called "iTunes Music Library.xml". In at least one case (mine), it creates "iTunes Library.xml" in the iTunes folder.

Here's the setup: I have an external drive called "Sound Master" which contains on it an iTunes library that has been around since a long time ago. It has been upgraded to 7.4.1 It has on it:

Music:iTunes:iTunes Library
Music:iTunes:iTunes Library.xml
Music:iTunes:iTunes Music (lots of folders inside "iTunes Music")
Music:iTunes:Album Artwork (irrelevant folders here)

I discovered that by creating a soft link to iTunes Library.xml called iTunes Music Library.xml, I can get SlimServer to find the file!

It also appears that specifying not only the path but also the name of the iTunes-created XML file in Server Settings>iTunes>ITUNES MUSIC LIBRARY.XML LOCATION will work, but I haven't verified this yet.

At least for my case, iTunes creates only a file called "iTunes Library.xml," so that's something to be aware of.

Whew.

/Bill

MelonMonkey
2007-09-17, 17:05
I've posted numerous times previously about the iTunes library and Slim Server. SS has definitely been having problems picking up the library changes since at least 6.5.2.

However I've also found problems when moving to newer iTunes versions without changing anything else. I've been sticking with iTunes 7.1.1 for this reason.

With regards to the library filename ("iTunes Library.xml"), it definitely does not change from run to run of the application and hasn't been changed since at least the first version of iTunes 7.

Interesting find on SS trying to access the alternate library filename though. Hopefully I'll have some time to experiment with iTunes updates over the next few weeks. Though I won't be installing 10.4.10 on any machines.

alstein
2007-09-23, 15:06
I've posted numerous times previously about the iTunes library and Slim Server. SS has definitely been having problems picking up the library changes since at least 6.5.2.

However I've also found problems when moving to newer iTunes versions without changing anything else. I've been sticking with iTunes 7.1.1 for this reason.

With regards to the library filename ("iTunes Library.xml"), it definitely does not change from run to run of the application and hasn't been changed since at least the first version of iTunes 7.

Interesting find on SS trying to access the alternate library filename though. Hopefully I'll have some time to experiment with iTunes updates over the next few weeks. Though I won't be installing 10.4.10 on any machines.

Sorry for budding in, but with regards to iTunes, am I correct in assuming that any albums that I have purchased and downloaded from Itunes will not play on my SB3? Will songs downloaded in their DRM-free mode (they call it iTunes Plus) play on the SB3? Thanks.

Eric Seaberg
2007-09-23, 15:44
am I correct in assuming that any albums that I have purchased and downloaded from Itunes will not play on my SB3? Will songs downloaded in their DRM-free mode (they call it iTunes Plus) play on the SB3? Thanks.

Yes, anything purchased Apple iTunes PLUS (DRM free) will play without issue on Slim.

If I MUST purchase from iTunes, that's the only way I'll do it now.

alstein
2007-09-23, 16:53
Yes, anything purchased Apple iTunes PLUS (DRM free) will play without issue on Slim.

If I MUST purchase from iTunes, that's the only way I'll do it now.

Its a major negative (IMO) for iTunes. Once I learned that iTunes restricts distribution of purchased downloads (unless you download the plus versions for an extra fee, I stopped downloading. In addition, my discovery through these forms of lossless streaming with .flac compression has made me think about iTunes in a far more restrictive fashion. Great for my Ipod, but not for listening through my main stereo system.