PDA

View Full Version : UK Power Supply

smcint
2007-09-15, 13:36
My parents are visiting from the UK to the US and wish to buy an SB3. Of course they would like to buy one here for $300 instead of back in the UK for GBP220. To do this they need to buy a power supply back in the UK. Can anyone recommend one? It can be a simple switching supply.

Thanks for any help,
Steve

seanadams
2007-09-15, 15:00
Just order it from slimdevices.com, and request a UK power supply in the comments field.

smcint
2007-09-15, 15:29
Thanks! Thats great.

barcar
2008-08-19, 05:16
Just order it from slimdevices.com, and request a UK power supply in the comments field.

Is this still a vaild option for ordering today? For the Duet, not Squeezebox.

Thanks!

elziko
2008-08-19, 06:34
My parents are visiting from the UK to the US and wish to buy an SB3. Of course they would like to buy one here for $300 instead of back in the UK for GBP220. To do this they need to buy a power supply back in the UK. Can anyone recommend one? It can be a simple switching supply.

Thanks for any help,
Steve

You can get an SB3 even cheaper than that at PC World in the UK:

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0903669899.121915277 3@@@@&BV_EngineID=cceladeemedfidgcflgceggdhhmdgmh.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=424887&category_oid=

kitecarl
2008-08-20, 13:32
Hi,

I just moved to the UK from the US and have three existing SB3s, of course all set up for the US. Is the SB3 capable of using the UK voltage system with just a simple UK to US plug style adapter, or do I need to get a step-down converter? Even better, is it possible to order UK power supplies that I could use as a replacement? Thanks!

radish
2008-08-20, 18:42
Is the SB3 capable of using the UK voltage system with just a simple UK to US plug style adapter
Just look on the adapter. If it says something like "Input: 110-230VAC" then you're good to go, if it's just "Input: 110VAC" then you'll need either a replacement or a step up transformer (not step down!). FWIW the SB3 adapter I just looked at is US only, but I think they're shipping different ones these days.

funkstar
2008-08-21, 00:48
if it's just "Input: 110VAC" then you'll need either a replacement or a step up transformer (not step down!).
No, it will be a step down transfermer. Stepping down from 240v mains to 110v of the power supply. There will also need to be a frequency adjustment there too, UK runs at 50Hz as opposed to 60Hz.

But you are definitely better just getting a replacement power supply. They are fairly common, places like Maplin, CPC and RS hould have compatible ones.

radish
2008-08-21, 08:23
No, it will be a step down transfermer. Stepping down from 240v mains to 110v of the power supply.

You're right - brain freeze on my part :)

There will also need to be a frequency adjustment there too, UK runs at 50Hz as opposed to 60Hz.

I've never found any device which cares about frequency. I have a number of UK spec items running in the US on step up transformers (did I get that the right way around?!) and they're fine despite the frequency difference.

Goodsounds
2008-08-21, 12:22
I've never found any device which cares about frequency.

I need to be careful not to stray too far into (what for me is) uncharted waters, and I welcome correction from anyone with more knowledge. I think I'm on solid ground in saying:

Frequency only affects electrical items with a motor. The speed of the motor is pegged from the frequency of the electricity - analog clocks (if they still exist), food processors, blenders, etc.

Most "electronic" things - PCs, SB, etc - operate on DC, and the wall warts and power supplies change the AC to DC. If (as others point out) your power supply is rated for the higher voltage, you're fine, the frequency difference doesn't matter as the power is changed to DC. If your power supply is 110 only, you need a second transformer to plug it into the higher Euro current supply. Also as pointed out, many products (like PCs, etc) are 110-230, which means you just need a plug adaptor but no transformer.

Mnyb
2008-08-21, 13:52
Frequency could be an issue for transformer* based supplies but mostly not.
Some products i had have an 110-230 switch and the mains transformer is designed to cope with both 50 and 60Hz.

Switchmode supplies would often eat anything even DC and AC in some cases the SB supplies are switchers.

/Cheers

*larger transformers are often specifically designed for a frequency and would not be happy with anything else