PDA

View Full Version : Persistent involuntary logout on forums.slimdevices.com

egd
2007-09-14, 23:58
For as long as I can remember, leaving a session idle for more than a few minutes on these forums results in me being logged out requiring me to re-credentialise whenever I want to post or edit a post. It's fast becoming my #1 irritant. Anyone else experience this, and is there a way to disable this?

funkstar
2007-09-15, 04:31
If you tell the forum to remember your details, even if your session does time out, you shouldn't need to log back in again. This is cookie dependant, so if you have them turned off, it ain't going to work.

seanadams
2007-09-15, 08:53
No problems here - i've been logged in for months. I agree it sounds like cookies might be disabled. Also what browser are you using?

auronthas
2007-09-15, 19:46
I have the similar problem as claimed by egd. I am using IE 7.0 with Window Vista. My security level is set at Medium-high with ActiveX disabled. Where and how to enable cookies?

TIA

funkstar
2007-09-16, 03:11
I have the similar problem as claimed by egd. I am using IE 7.0 with Window Vista. My security level is set at Medium-high with ActiveX disabled. Where and how to enable cookies?

TIA

Same setup here and don't have any isues. Have a look in Tools -> Internet Options -> Privacy -> Advanced. The "Overide" check box on mine is un-checked.

auronthas
2007-09-16, 04:21
Same setup here and don't have any isues. Have a look in Tools -> Internet Options -> Privacy -> Advanced. The "Overide" check box on mine is un-checked.

I just checked my privacy setting, it is set at Medium and 'overide' check box is unchecked, still i have the automatic log out problem after idling.

funkstar
2007-09-16, 05:31
I just checked my privacy setting, it is set at Medium and 'overide' check box is unchecked, still i have the automatic log out problem after idling.
Is this with "remember me" being ticked when you log in?

auronthas
2007-09-16, 21:49
Is this with "remember me" being ticked when you log in?

I did not have 'remember me' checked previously, may be it's the cause. Thanks.

funkstar
2007-09-16, 23:57
I did not have 'remember me' checked previously, may be it's the cause. Thanks.
Probably. If you don't get it to remember you, and your sessions times out, they you will be logged out. This can also happen if your wireless network disconnects and reconnects, or your ADSL or cable modem re-syncs.

auronthas
2007-09-17, 07:22
Thanks, funkstar. No more automatically log-out problem.

egd
2007-09-25, 17:17
No problems here - i've been logged in for months. I agree it sounds like cookies might be disabled. Also what browser are you using?

I'm using Firefox, the problem it seems is cookies. I've got my Firefox privacy settings clearing cookies whenever the browser is shut down. What I'm curious of however, is that if I don't select remember me when logging in then sessions expire irrespective of whether or not the browser has been shut down - this despite my browser being set (in Windows and Linux) to accept cookies and keep them until they expire.If my thinking is correct that would mean that whilst the browser is open sessions should remain persistent but shutting down a browser will require logging in on return to the forums.

Another things that puzzles me is that I have http://forums.slimdevices.com set up with username and password remembered by the browser for login purposes, however, the browser never prepopulates the login field, I have to type the "e" in my login before it offers to auto complete.

funkstar
2007-09-26, 02:09
Session expiration is determined by the server rather than the browser. So even if you haven't closed the browser window or tab, the session can time out. I use the "New Posts" link at the top all the time. If i click it a few times within a few minutes, it just re-freshes that search. If i leave it and come back half an hour later (for example) i get a completely new search with only a few threads. This is an effect of the session timing out, but i remain logged in because of the persistant cookies for my login details.

Another things that puzzles me is that I have http://forums.slimdevices.com set up with username and password remembered by the browser for login purposes, however, the browser never prepopulates the login field, I have to type the "e" in my login before it offers to auto complete.
I think that is just how FireFox works.