PDA

View Full Version : Softsqueeze is awesome...

colin_young
2007-09-14, 18:47
I just set up Slimserver on my new Linkstation Pro and decided to try running Softsqueeze from the office today. I have been completely unable to tunnel anything to the box with Putty (although Putty will open an SSH shell session just fine), so I didn't hold out much hope. So you can imagine how shocked I was when I installed Softsqueeze, gave it the dns entry for my server, entered the user and password and it actually contacted my Slimserver and was able to play songs. I was even more shocked when I clicked the button to open the website and that worked (something Putty could not get working for me). Kudos to Mr. Titmuss. This is a fantastic bit of software, and I wish more of the programs I used were as easy to get running as this was.

I did have some problems streaming FLAC (I think it just overwhelmed my outgoing bandwidth because mp3 songs streamed without so much as a hiccup) and WMA doesn't work at all because there doesn't seem to be a wmadec available for ARM -- perhaps this will be what finally gets me to start converting/re-ripping my collection to FLAC/mp3).

Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks to Richard Titmuss and all the people who have posted information about getting Slimserver installed on freelink.

Colin