PDA

View Full Version : How To Get iTunes Store Purchases To Play on Squeezebox

The Witchdoctor
2007-09-13, 12:18
Is there some special setup trick to get my iTunes purchases (mp4's) to show up on my Squeezebox and play? It's clearly in my iTunes folder on my computer but it doesn't show up on the Squeezebox's version. Any help would be greatly appreciated in advance.

Jacob

kdf
2007-09-13, 12:36
Slimserver and Squeezebox are not compatible with Digital Rights Management such as is used in iTunes purchased files.

You can, however, burn the tracks as an audio CD then re-rip to a non-crippled format.
-kdf

Gildahl
2007-09-13, 13:11
There have been some applications to strip out the DRM such as JHymn, but I'm not sure if any of these work anymore with current iTunes files.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JHymn

The burn-to-CD then rip option is really the only other alternative, but has the drawback of requiring that you rip the song to a (large) lossless format if you want to preserve the full fidelity of the original. This is because ripping it to compressed format would effectively be double-compressing the file.

Either way it's a pain and everyone wishes that this silly DRM stuff would just go away. For honest users (like me, and I presume you) all it does is get in the way. The rest of those folks out there who illegally copy music will *always* be able to get around it since the whole DRM idea is deeply flawed.

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6189011.html

My wife and I purchased music from iTunes for a while, but I've now gone back to only buying music on CD. Not only is the music uncompressed and free of DRM, but you're getting your music pressed on "free" archival media ready for storage, a case, and real liner notes. That is what I recommend.

Eric Seaberg
2007-09-13, 15:05
The ONLY stuff I buy from iTunes now is on their iTunes PLUS lists. This is higher quality (256kbps AAC) and NO DRM. SlimServer will play these tracks.

EnochLight
2007-09-13, 20:30
The most popular application available is QTFairUse, which automatically scrubs your m4p's of their DRM infection and re-encodes them on-the-fly, without audio degradation, to an m4a that can be played on your Squeezebox.

Google it and enjoy!