PDA

View Full Version : SlimServer access on another PC

jordi.c
2007-09-13, 12:02
Hello,

I can only view SlimServer in the browser on the PC where SlimServer is installed on.

When I type in the browser on another PC; http://127.0.0.1:9000/
I get a notification that the page doesn't exist.

I opened the port tcp/udp 9000 in my router but this doesn't help. Also I have shutdown the firewall (comodo firewall) on the PC (OS= Windows XP SP2)

Slimserver is running on a PC with O/S Vista 32-bits.

Kind Regards.
Jordi

snarlydwarf
2007-09-13, 12:13
127.0.0.1 is the equivalent for computers as the word "me" is for people.

Ie, for the machine running Slimserver, that will work fine: "he look at 'me' port 9000" and the machine will find it.

For other machines the concept of "me" is entirely different: you will need to use the proper IP of the machine, or with Windows machines, the -name- of the machine usually works.

jordi.c
2007-09-13, 12:21
127.0.0.1 is the equivalent for computers as the word "me" is for people.

Ie, for the machine running Slimserver, that will work fine: "he look at 'me' port 9000" and the machine will find it.

For other machines the concept of "me" is entirely different: you will need to use the proper IP of the machine, or with Windows machines, the -name- of the machine usually works.

Ok, I didn't know that 127.0.0.1 is the ip of the pc itself :-D.

I have called my computer: "Vide" in the workgroup.

The IP addresse is 192.168.0.3 (given by the router) ,or do I have to use the external IP?

On another PC I can type just "Vide:9000" but how will it find SlimSever than?

Cheers

Mark Lanctot
2007-09-13, 12:29
The IP addresse is 192.168.0.3 (given by the router) ,or do I have to use the external IP?

No, that should be it. Don't use the external address, your router has closed the relevant ports.

On another PC I can type just "Vide:9000" but how will it find SlimSever than?

I believe it uses a process called WINS. This doesn't always work. The IP address should always work, barring something sneaky a firewall is doing in between.

jordi.c
2007-09-13, 13:21
No, that should be it. Don't use the external address, your router has closed the relevant ports.

I believe it uses a process called WINS. This doesn't always work. The IP address should always work, barring something sneaky a firewall is doing in between.

Thank you!

I will try it tomorrow out :)

Edit: GReat Mark, it works and is so SWEET!!