PDA

View Full Version : Starting server gives SB3 a stroke

Squonk
2007-09-12, 08:53
Hi, all. I have SlimServer running on an XP machine wired to my SB3, which acts as a bridge and connects wirelessly to the rest of my network. Everything works great with one exception, which occurs as follows:
1. I'm using the SB3 wirelessly to listen to music via Squeezenetwork. The PC running SlimServer is off.
2. I turn off the SB3.
3. Later, I decide to listen to my music via SlimServer. I turn on the SB3 and the server PC, but when I turn on the PC, the SB3 cannot connect to either the SlimServer machine or to Squeezenetwork until I disconnect and reconnect its power supply. Then it goes through the routine of getting an IP address and is fine. Switching back and forth between the server and Squeezenetwork is no problem after the re-set.

Any ideas why I might be encountering this problem?

Thanks

danco
2007-09-12, 09:18
Rather than disconnecting and reconnecting the power, have you tried pressing and holding the Power button.?This leads to the Set up Networking screen, but pressing the Up button asks whether you want to connect to your server, and pressing Right then goes through the connection process. Doesn't solve your problem, but is easier to do.

Also, you say you turn on the SB and the PC. Which do you turn on first? If you turn on the SB before the PC, I can see that there might be problems.

Though if SqueezeNetwork can't be reached, it isn't just a PC issue.

I think there must be some issue with various routers where they need to be kicked into life for some reason. I know that when my computer has been asleep for a long time, I usually have to go through the process above before I can connect, but I have never tried it with the SB set to SqueezeNetwork.

Squonk
2007-09-13, 04:22
you say you turn on the SB and the PC. Which do you turn on first? If you turn on the SB before the PC, I can see that there might be problems.

I should have been more specific on that. It seems that the order in which they're turned on doesn't make a difference, though. Thanks for the power button workaround. I guess this is just a minor annoyance overall. Odd, though.

schatzy
2007-09-13, 12:53
Yes you may think it is a small annoyance, but when you want to listen to you music, having to wait is just not what you are wanting to do is it.

It sounds like you have your PC and your SB set for DHCP (automatic ip address assignment). If you were to set your computer to a static ip address such as XXX.XXX.XXX.101 and then set your SB to a static ip address such as XXX.XXX.XXX.102 then you should always be able to connect to the pc running slimserver. Just make sure your router is set to something like XXX.XXX.XXX.100. Or make the 100, 101, 102 - 000, 001 ,002

Setting it up this way should allow you to leave the SB ON or OFF and then turn on the pc and the SB should jsut see it when it has finished coming on.

Squonk
2007-09-13, 15:43
The static IP is a good thought. The PC running Slimserver is already static, but I'll assign an IP to the SB3 and see if that helps.