PDA

View Full Version : Just killed my SlimServer - help!

Cams
2007-09-12, 08:17
I was attempting to install the SlimScrobbler plugin for Last.FM into my SlimServer plugins directory and have somehow managed to kill SlimServer. I am running ClarkConnect 3.2 Home and using the latest current version of SlimServer (6.5.4). It shows up as running in System > Running Services. Connecting to http://localhost:9000 brings up this message: Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at 192.168.x.xx:9000. Neither of the two Squeezebox 3s can connect.

I went into Webmin and uninstalled then reinstalled but it didn't fix it. How does one go about troubleshooting this? I've spent a whole afternoon on this and got nowhere, so it's time to ask for some help!

Thanks in advance,
Cams

Cams
2007-09-12, 08:45
I fixed it! I uninstalled again, installed an older version (6.5.1) and watched with joy as my Squeezebox lit up! I then overwrote with 6.5.4 and so far all is shipshape. Man, Linux is hard. Thank goodness for Webmin!

Sorry to have wasted your time.

Cams

mherger
2007-09-12, 08:54
> How does one go about troubleshooting this? I've spent a whole
> afternoon on this and got nowhere, so it's time to ask for some help!

Have a look at /tmp/slimserver.log, add -d_plugins to the startup parameters in /etc/init.d/slimserver (or similar) to get additional information on plugin loading.

Michael

mflint
2007-09-12, 16:47
Man, Linux is hard.
Not 'hard', just 'different'.

It's like driving a car. Eventually, you'll have a 'moment of clarity', when it starts to make sense. You'll be driving without thinking about the mechanics of driving.

I had the same with Linux. One day it'll just make sense. And you'll hopefully think that it's been worth the effort. :-)

Matthew