PDA

View Full Version : Scanning library causes very weird crashes

stevekdavis
2007-09-11, 01:31
Hi everyone,

I'm pretty sure this must be down to some new music added to my library recently but I cannot get a consistent scan without something going wrong.

It will either keep bluescreening my server and rebooting or finish the scan with 0 artists (14,400 tracks and 1000 albums correctly identified)

I'm running 6.5.4 (tried latest nightly too) on Win 2003, SP1, 512MB RAM, Library is all mp3 stored on NAS and referred by UNC name. There is no playlists folder set.

I've done a complete uninstall and wipe of slimserver and re-installed the last release (6.5.4) and the problem is still there. I've now removed all music added in the last week (7 albums) and trying a scan again (waiting for it to finish)

How do I go about finding out what's actually going on rather that fumbling in the dark?

Are there any known issues with scanning I should look for?

thanks

Steve

bpa
2007-09-11, 02:00
Make sure Slimserver is running. Then run the following command from the command prompt (assuming scanner.exe is in default directory) and replacing <musicfolder> by your own music folder.

The output should show files as they are scanned and hence the problem files.

"c:\program files\slimserver\server\scanner.exe" --wipe --d_scan
--d_import <musicfolder>

Heuer
2007-09-11, 02:19
Have you tried a 'clear and re-scan' which is what the command line parameters seem to do (albeit with a log file)? I ran the command line parameters and the scan worked fine. Mine was hanging only on 'look for new music' which I have never experienced before.

stevekdavis
2007-09-11, 03:29
Have you tried a 'clear and re-scan'.

Yes, I cleared the DB a few times. Interestingly removing the 7 albums has resulted in the scan working without a problem so I just need to narrow it dow now using the command line above.

auronthas
2007-09-11, 06:46
Make sure Slimserver is running. Then run the following command from the command prompt (assuming scanner.exe is in default directory) and replacing <musicfolder> by your own music folder.

The output should show files as they are scanned and hence the problem files.

"c:\program files\slimserver\server\scanner.exe" --wipe --d_scan
--d_import <musicfolder>

I have done clear and rescan too, but some 'nasty' files are still around.

bpa is right, I have followed his advice (type in the command at command prompt) and my music folder is more organized now.

stevekdavis
2007-09-11, 06:52
Put 2 of the albums back in and ran the command line above, system crashed while I wasn't looking (after about an hour or so of scanning) and now won't restart.

ntoskrnl missing or corrupt! - bugger.

stevekdavis
2007-09-12, 01:03
well I'm now rebuilding my server but have narrowed down the problem to the 2 albums I added, both play fine once scanned but do seem to upset SlimServer somehow as when they are in the library all manner of scanning problem occur but take them out and the scanning is fine. I haven't yet managed to actually capture the log.

The two albums in question are:

R. Carlos Nakai - Canyon Trilogy
R. Carlos Nakai - Earth Spirit

Canyon Trilogy was ripped directly from CD using WMP11 as I've done lots of times at 192kbps CBR
Earth Spirit was downloaded as 192kbps VBR

The only thing I can think of is the artists name has a "." in it but I can't believe that's the cause as I'm sure there must be lots of others. Has anyone else got these albums in their collection? (it's native american flute music)

Steve

Heuer
2007-09-12, 02:18
Installing 6.5.5 solved my problem with crashes. Worth a try but it will be interesting to hear what it is that is causing the crash.