PDA

View Full Version : major scanning problem...

elliot
2007-09-10, 19:22
hi,
I am new at slim devices and when i first scanned my library in all was good. but when i added links to other drives that also contained media and wiped library and attempted to rescan, nothing will come up. It just says scanning, please be patient- yet nothing comes up. i have uninstalled and re-installed slimserver and this does not help. i also left it overnight as i thought it might be taking a long time as its around 300g but still nothing turned up. I then turned off all my anti-virus and firewall software thinking this might be the prob and yet still no files turn up in slimserver. A way to fix this prob would be great...

elliot
2007-09-11, 03:47
a lot of my music is the music folders link, but will not go across to anyother links- i.e albums, artists, songs etc. any ideas anyone?

davep
2007-09-11, 04:50
You don't by any chance have any "circular" links? i.e. links to folders that then either directly or indirectly link back to the original folder.

Also, if you have playlists and these contain illogical or dead links you can get scanner problems.

As for doing the links themselves there is some info in the wiki here which might help. http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?BeginnersGuideToOrganising

davep

elliot
2007-09-11, 18:01
no, i dont have any circular links or any playlists in that directory. it is a drive with only media (album) folders. I have tried taking out shortcuts to other media folders and rescanning and nothing. the strange this is, it scanned that original folder fine the first time but i tried a clear and rescan and nothing...

elliot
2007-09-12, 02:37
if i am unable to get slimserver to work is it possible to use orangeCD (for those that have used it) as a standalone media server instead of slimserver until i manage to get slimserver to work, as i am getting my squeezebox delivered tomorrow and would be very dissapointed if i am unable to use it...

Siduhe
2007-09-12, 02:50
no, i dont have any circular links or any playlists in that directory. it is a drive with only media (album) folders. I have tried taking out shortcuts to other media folders and rescanning and nothing. the strange this is, it scanned that original folder fine the first time but i tried a clear and rescan and nothing...

You don't say what version of Slimserver you are using, or what OS - this is pretty fundamental information which people will need to try and work this problem out.

Do I understand correctly that you can see music which is stored in your main music directory, but not those stored on the the other drives? Are these external hard drives or installed drives on the same machine that Slimserver is running on?

If so, it may be a permissions issue - i,e, Slimserver does not have the rights to access the music on your external drives

Or can you now not see any music at all?

Assuming you are running Windows on the PC where Slimserver is installed try running it from the command line:

Shut down Slimserver. Open up a command prompt in Windows (Run/cmd) and then enter (assuming a standard Windows install of Slimserver:

"c:\program files\slimserver\server\scanner.exe" --wipe --d_scan --d_import <musicfolder>

You need to replace <musicfolder> with the reference to your own music folder as you put it in Slimserver.

The output should show files as they are scanned and may give you an idea where and why the scan is getting locked up. What error messages do you see?

elliot
2007-09-12, 15:20
sorry- latest version of slimserver running on windows xp.
Now nothing scans in correctly, i just have the message of still scanning your music libray, please be patient. The music in the main drive does appear in the music folder section of slimserver but nothing under artists, albums, genres etc and nothing from the other drives that i have a shortcut to on the main drive.

I cut and pasted the cmd command and replaced music folder with the drive that i put into slimserver and the message "The syntax of the command is incorrect."

Does this help at all?

davep
2007-09-12, 15:46
what format are your music files in?

davep

elliot
2007-09-12, 17:31
they are all mp3 with the exception of maybe half a gig out of about 300gig that are wma.
I just cant see why the main drive scanned without a prob the first time but now nothing no matter i do will turn up in albums, artists, genres etc...

tapeworm48
2007-09-12, 18:16
if you're sure that you have removed all circular links (shortcuts to other drives/folders), then go to your task manager and hit the applications tab. look for the slimserver scanning application (it should be hogging resources) and kill the app. then i would restart.

this solved the problem for me. hope that helps.

auronthas
2007-09-13, 01:35
sorry- latest version of slimserver running on windows xp.
Now nothing scans in correctly, i just have the message of still scanning your music libray, please be patient. The music in the main drive does appear in the music folder section of slimserver but nothing under artists, albums, genres etc and nothing from the other drives that i have a shortcut to on the main drive.

I cut and pasted the cmd command and replaced music folder with the drive that i put into slimserver and the message "The syntax of the command is incorrect."

Does this help at all?

Yes, the command works.

At command prompt, i.e. c:\users\[name]\
a) type cd\ to root directory --> c:\
b) next, type scanner.exe --wipe --d_scan --d_import <musicfolder>

eg. scanner.exe --wipe --d_scan --d_import f:\ (if your music files are saved in f drive)

elliot
2007-09-13, 03:45
all my music has appeared (even that which is linked through shortcuts) in music folder when i browse music but still nothing in the other folders- except for those that i have played which then do appear.
seems a bit strange but at least i have something until i work out how to get everything across to other browsing categories.

auronthas
2007-09-13, 06:14
You should able to see problem why not all music files are scanned during scanning via command prompt. What is your music file format? Have checked the file type under server setting --> file types?