PDA

View Full Version : Slimserver over the network?

Hangtight
2007-09-10, 08:13
I have had an SB2 for a while and love it to bits. A little while ago I added SqueezeSoft to the PC running SlimServer and am currently enjoying music synced between PC and hifi. I now have a laptop that lives on the wireless network, and I'm wondering if controlling the SB2 from the laptop as well as the main PC is as simple as running a second instance of SlimServer and pointing it in the right direction? What about Squeezesoft? Can I have all three devices synced and controlled via any of three possible interfaces?
I've tried a few searches and came up blank, so I thought I'd appeal to the experts!

Eric Seaberg
2007-09-10, 08:20
You can put SoftSqueeze on the laptop and sync all three to your current server, but putting SlimServer on the laptop is creating a NEW server with a new list of music. The other two players (SB2 and SoftSqueeze on the PC) can play in sync from the Laptop, and the laptop can play 'itself', but you'll have to have a new instance of SoftSqueeze for each server address.

You're better off, IMHO, to keep your server and music where it is, install SoftSqueeze on the laptop and sync all players to the current server.

You can also CONTROL the SB2 from your laptop using a web browser... you got that setup, right?

Hangtight
2007-09-10, 08:35
That sounds like the setup I'm after. I take it I just install SoftSqueeze on the laptop? And I'm not sure how to point the browser on the laptop to the Slimserver running on the main PC. Thanks for your quick response.

davep
2007-09-10, 09:01
That sounds like the setup I'm after. I take it I just install SoftSqueeze on the laptop? And I'm not sure how to point the browser on the laptop to the Slimserver running on the main PC. Thanks for your quick response.

To see the Slimserver from another PC (i.e. your laptop) you simply put http://yourserverip:9000/ into the browser, where 'yourserverip' is replaced by the 12 digit network ip address of the server PC. If you don't know what this is you can find it in either of two ways. i) from your SB3 look in Settings -> Information -> Server or ii) at the server PC bring up a terminal dialog and type 'ipconfig' at the C:> prompt (assuming your on Windows - its ifconfig for Mac and Linux).

davep

Hangtight
2007-09-10, 10:09
Right. Seem to have got everything talking to each other, but seem to have a slight lag between the SB2 and the laptop. When I sync the main PC and the SB I don't seem to have any noticable difference in the timing. Have I missed something somewhere?
Thanks in advance.