PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Albums listings?

gregh
2007-09-10, 07:55
Hi there,

I'm a prospective owner, so am checking everything out with Softsqueeze first.

I have slimserver up and running off my Terastation, the web interface reports versions as:

SlimServer Version: 6.5.4 - 12568 - Linux - EN - iso-8859-1
Server IP address: 192.168.1.3
Perl Version: 5.8.5 ppc-linux
MySQL Version: 5.0.45

I have a compilation album, and somehow Slimserver has taken each track in the album and called it a unique album, hence the first part of my album list looks like the list below.

How can I get it to just show two links for the album, ie CD1 and CD2???

12"-80s [CD1]
12"-80s [CD1]
12"-80s [CD1]
12"-80s [CD1]
12"-80s [CD1]
12"-80s [CD1]
12"-80s [CD1]
12"-80s [CD1]
12"-80s [CD1]
12"-80s [CD1]
12"-80s [CD2]
12"-80s [CD2]
12"-80s [CD2]
12"-80s [CD2]
12"-80s [CD2]
12"-80s [CD2]
12"-80s [CD2]
12"-80s [CD2]

thanks,

Greg

Gibbo
2007-09-10, 08:56
I guess this album is a compilation>
I know SS used to have problems if these files were each in their own album, can't remember if it was fixed or not? I dealt with this by downloading musicmonkey, and reorganising my music folder into

albumartist/album/track.mp3

rather than

artist/album/track.mp3

gregh
2007-09-10, 08:58
hi,

yes it's a compilation, under itunes it had put it in a folder per artist, so I went thru itunes, and ticked the compilation box per track, which then put them all together in two sub dirs under compilation,

ie itunes\compilation\12"-80s(cd1)\track1

cheers,

greg

SteveEast
2007-09-10, 13:02
Have you tried setting:

Server Settings/Behaviour/Compilations/Group compilations albums together

and doing a clear/rescan?

Steve.

gregh
2007-09-11, 02:43
just tried that this morning and still no joy :(

Just thinking about that setting though, and it's not what slimserver is doing.

From the config page it says:

You can choose to have compilation albums appear together under "Various Artists" or have them appear under each artist in the compilation.

But my slimserver is creating a unique album (with the same name) for each track in the album, the above setting would have had it create a folder for each artist surely?

This is the last thing I need to sort out :(

Cheers,

greg

Siduhe
2007-09-11, 03:12
From memory, the ITUNES COMPILATION tag is not exactly the same as the COMPILATION tag in Slimserver. It may be worth trying to force the tag. To do this you need to open up the offending album in a tagger like Foobar or Mp3tag and add a tag to all affected files of "COMPILATION=1". Check the album title is the same for all files. Then do a full clear and rescan. Does this fix the issue?

The other thing to check for is that your ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags for Artists are consistent assuming we are talking about mp3 files. If they are not (for example your ID3v2 tags have the original artist names, but ID3v1 says "various artists" for all songs) this could also cause the behaviour you are seeing, I think. The solution would be to either delete the Id3v1 tags or make sure the two are consistent and then do a full clear and rescan.

gregh
2007-09-11, 05:49
Well I deleted all the v1 tags, made sure the compilation tag was ticked and rescanned. No difference.

So I manually deleted my database and so it's currently rebuilding it from scratch (not yet completed)

So far, fingers crossed, the albums are only showing up as CD1 and CD2 and not the 24 items that were there previously!

Squeezebox 3 is now in my shopping basket :) pending the scan finishing!

Cheers,

Greg

gregh
2007-09-11, 06:23
aggh! spoke too soon, they are back!

When I checked half way thru the scan it only showed 2, but at the end it's showing many.

Could a playlist (I'm importing an iTunes playlist) affect this?

regards,

greg

hornseaey
2007-09-12, 09:47
Have you tried this combination

Server : List compilations under each artist & List albums by band

Tags : Have Album name and Album Artist the same

gregh
2007-09-14, 07:14
Have you tried this combination

Server : List compilations under each artist & List albums by band

Tags : Have Album name and Album Artist the same

Hi, just tried that, still no joy :(

regards,

Greg

Siduhe
2007-09-14, 07:27
Could a playlist (I'm importing an iTunes playlist) affect this?

Potentially yes. Try removing the folder reference for your playlists and do a full rescan. Does this look at it should (i.e. one album).

If so, is the Itunes playlist static or dynamic?

gregh
2007-09-14, 11:42
Result!

Something wacky was going on I actually removed all entries to itunes and itunes playlists and then took the files off the directory, rescanned and it still listed them despite them not physically being present anymore!

So I went via the web interface to find the location and noticed the location was a trash folder where a sync program puts deleted files. So the "old" incorrect structure was in the trash folder.

I removed all the files, and it still showed up, so I manually deleted my database and am re-creating now......