PDA

View Full Version : Any plans for a video version?

ternerito
2007-09-09, 11:48
Hi all,
I've recently bought a squeezebox, and I think is great.
Was wondering if there any plans for a s.box capable to handle video as well?

I have an old MediaMVP, but I find the software bundled is plain bad, and the hardware itself is getting long in the tooth, and not that stable.

Does anyone else make a good 'media' box - suggestions welcome... :-)

bklaas
2007-09-09, 12:22
IMO, there is no better option than XBMC, aka Xbox Media Center. It's hackware, but it's fantastic. It is the closest thing to a video squeezebox in concept. Codec support is outlandishly good.

Xbox (classic) + necessary equipment to hack Xbox cost < $200 total, and it took me about 2 or 3 hours to do the hack and get XBMC installed.

It's not that hard to do, really. Well documented here:
http://www.productwiki.com/microsoft-xbox/article/how-to-go-from-xbox-to-xbox-media-center-in-30-minutes.html

What XBMC isn't: DVR, HD capable. Other than that, it's gold. GOLD!

cheers,
#!/ben

tyler_durden
2007-09-09, 12:40
Hi all,
I've recently bought a squeezebox, and I think is great.
Was wondering if there any plans for a s.box capable to handle video as well?

It seems unlikely that there would be a video device available in the US because it is illegal to copy DVDs to your HDD. Of course, there is software available to do it, and there are media boxes out there that will stream/play the video, but none of it has any commercial support in the US because no one has deep enough pockets to fight the MPAA. If you make a program that streams DVD video from a HDD and you make a box that plays it, you open yourself up to charges of encouraging piracy. Legitimate or not, defending yourself in a suit is expensive.

Look up mythTV for streaming/playing video. Look up ImgBurn, DVDShrink, DVDDecrypter, etc.

TD

ternerito
2007-09-09, 14:05
It seems unlikely that there would be a video device available in the US because it is illegal to copy DVDs to your HDD. Of course, there is software available to do it, and there are media boxes out there that will stream/play the video, but none of it has any commercial support in the US because no one has deep enough pockets to fight the MPAA. If you make a program that streams DVD video from a HDD and you make a box that plays it, you open yourself up to charges of encouraging piracy. Legitimate or not, defending yourself in a suit is expensive.

Look up mythTV for streaming/playing video. Look up ImgBurn, DVDShrink, DVDDecrypter, etc.

TD

Actually, I wouldn't expect (or even need) this box to be able to play DVD's at all. Just mpeg2 files, possibly along with other video formats.

I record almost all the TV shows I watch (I use BeyondTV) on my server already. I just need a box client that can display them in a different room. Really, the MVP almost does all I need. However the design is old, the interface especially looks like it was designed in the 70's.

The xbox seems like too much trouble

hoosier
2007-09-09, 23:14
I don't play video games, so I was late realizing that the XMBC was a sweet set up. I've heard lot's of good things about it, but I'm lazy.

I opted for a TVIX. It's made in Korea, and can stream a DVD from a HDD just like it was in a player. It does Hi-Def as well. It sits right next to my Squeezbox. Looking at it, it reminds me of my original squeezebox - a crappy VFD and not at all a mainstream stylistic design.

The TVIX does an excellent job of video, but they try to make it do too much. It does MP3, FLAC, and a handfull of other audio codecs. I wish they would just focus on video, since you can't beat a SB for audio.

bpa
2007-09-10, 00:22
Have you tried running mvpmc ( http://www.mvpmc.org/ ) on your MediaMVP.

It does a lot more than the "standard" offering by providing MythTV support which includes a Squeezebox emulation (with cover Art display). I think the emulation mode will enable you to continue using BeyondTV although playing DVD from HD using MythTV needs special handling

peter
2007-09-10, 04:50
ternerito wrote:
> tyler_durden;226205 Wrote:
>
>> It seems unlikely that there would be a video device available in the US
>> because it is illegal to copy DVDs to your HDD. Of course, there is
>> software available to do it, and there are media boxes out there that
>> will stream/play the video, but none of it has any commercial support
>> in the US because no one has deep enough pockets to fight the MPAA. If
>> you make a program that streams DVD video from a HDD and you make a box
>> that plays it, you open yourself up to charges of encouraging piracy.
>> Legitimate or not, defending yourself in a suit is expensive.
>>
>> Look up mythTV for streaming/playing video. Look up ImgBurn,
>> DVDShrink, DVDDecrypter, etc.
>>
>> TD
>>
>
> Actually, I wouldn't expect (or even need) this box to be able to play
> DVD's at all. Just mpeg2 files, possibly along with other video
> formats.
>
> I record almost all the TV shows I watch (I use BeyondTV) on my server
> already. I just need a box client that can display them in a different
> room. Really, the MVP almost does all I need. However the design is
> old, the interface especially looks like it was designed in the 70's.
>
> The xbox seems like too much trouble
>

Why not connect your PC's video out to your TV and watch your movies
that way. The SqueezeBox remote can be hacked to control anything over
the network.

I have a Linux MythTV box (actually my home server) in a wiring closet
connected to the TV in the living room.
I control MythTV and mplayer with the Squeezebox remote control via my
own lirc plugin.

No nasty extra boxes in the living room.

Peter

PS: If you use windows you might even have a look at videobox

ternerito
2007-09-10, 11:26
Why not connect your PC's video out to your TV and watch your movies
that way. The SqueezeBox remote can be hacked to control anything over
the network.

I have a Linux MythTV box (actually my home server) in a wiring closet
connected to the TV in the living room.
I control MythTV and mplayer with the Squeezebox remote control via my
own lirc plugin.

No nasty extra boxes in the living room.

Peter

PS: If you use windows you might even have a look at videobox

The video (and audio) out from the BeyondTV PC is already going to the main TV in the living room. This is controlled with the Firefly (radio) remote. All that is already working fine.

It's just that I'd like to tap the video content that is already sitting on this PC from one (and eventually two) other room.

Thanks all for replying. :-)

alZmtbr
2007-09-10, 13:21
I'm going to wait some before jumping into the streaming video world - But this type of product is what I will be looking at:
http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/6447.html

A DVD player that will convert non-HD to HD, and stream from a PC or Internet.