PDA

View Full Version : Now look what you all have done!

jdm56
2007-09-08, 23:05
After riding the fence for so long my backside was starting to get splinters, I finally took the plunge and ordered a lovely black Squeezebox 3. With the exception of possibly adding subs later this fall, this purchase will complete the humble 2-channel rig I've been putting together for a couple of months or so. It currently stands as follows:

Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab OML-2 loudspeakers (but not ~that~ loud @ 84dB sensitivity!)

Adcom GFA-5500 amp (200W per channel into 8 Ohms / 350W per channel into 4 Ohms)

Adcom GTP-602 tuner/pre-amp

Onkyo DX-7555 CD player

I downloaded SlimServer and immediately became annoyed with the clicking. Luckily, I found the cure in the FAQ's (thanks!) and peace was restored. Now the hard part: waiting for my new toy to be delivered by UPS!

snarlydwarf
2007-09-09, 14:37
Ah but you havent seen the real evil... the SB is cheap compared to what your CD budget will soon be.

It changes how you listen to music enough to make you want to throw buckets of money at CD vendors...

pfarrell
2007-09-09, 14:50
snarlydwarf wrote:
> Ah but you havent seen the real evil... the SB is cheap compared to what
> your CD budget will soon be.
> It changes how you listen to music enough to make you want to throw
> buckets of money at CD vendors...

Yes, the idiot record labels are wrong.
My CD spending went up by a factor of ten once I got addicted to
SqueezeBoxen

haunyack
2007-09-09, 15:06
snarlydwarf wrote:
> Ah but you havent seen the real evil... the SB is cheap compared to what
> your CD budget will soon be.
> It changes how you listen to music enough to make you want to throw
> buckets of money at CD vendors...

Yes, the idiot record labels are wrong.
My CD spending went up by a factor of ten once I got addicted to
SqueezeBoxen

Ditto..
My passion for music has returned with a vengeance.
It's so easy to use up hours upon hours (not to mention $ upon $) just listening.
Scary.

Sean & Company deserve a big thanks from the evil corporate labels.

peejay
2007-09-09, 17:28
Ditto. Say goodbye to your disposable income - that's why they call it disposable, right? More CDs, more expensive equipment (watch out for people selling cables which cost more than a handful of CDs though), more furniture to store all your CDs (although some people rip them, then box them - not me, I have to be able to flip through sleeve notes occasionally). Where did all the money go?? Have fun.

corbey
2007-09-09, 18:29
And if you already have a large CD collection, expect to spend many long evenings getting them all ripped and tagged just the way want them. But it'll be worth it!

ps. Also, once you find out how sweet the Squeezebox can be, expect your CD player to start gathering a lot of dust.

SteveEast
2007-09-09, 19:34
I've bought more CDs in the past year than I had in the previous 10 (20?) years.

Steve.

peejay
2007-09-09, 19:38
And I spend *way* too much time on this forum......

elmalloc
2007-09-09, 19:52
Why would you be on the fence about a $300 decision?

Someone help me, I've spent like 3.5K on audio the past 2 weeks. =(

Ron F.
2007-09-09, 21:01
I am now listening to music ALL THE TIME. It is like I have a cocaine habit (excuse me while I switch to Eric Clapton...) Ok - I am back... ALL THE TIME. Not only is my CD player gathering dust, so is my television.

I got my sister one, but she says it's no big deal, but I went over to her place today, walked in, and she had it on...

The thing is probably the most dangerous $300 I ever spent.

I now purchase a couple of CDs every week. The labels don't have a clue about life do they? I listen to internet radio (mostly Radio Paradise) and then I spend money.

If I could just download everything, or stream Rhapsody at full CD speed... I would spend more money, not less. Labels - save me from myself - don't make it possible to download everything without DRM at full CD bitrate.

-Ron

jdm56
2007-09-09, 22:46
And if you already have a large CD collection, expect to spend many long evenings getting them all ripped and tagged just the way want them. But it'll be worth it!

ps. Also, once you find out how sweet the Squeezebox can be, expect your CD player to start gathering a lot of dust.

My CD collection has grown to around 1800-2000 titles. Of course, that represents almost 25 years accumulation since I converted from Vinylism to Polycarbonatology in '83 or '84. I really can't imagine NOT listening to CD's at this point but perhaps the Squeezebox will change my sausage.

jdm56
2007-09-09, 22:53
Why would you be on the fence about a $300 decision?

Someone help me, I've spent like 3.5K on audio the past 2 weeks. =(

Well, it wasn't the $300 so much as the fact I anticipate I will eventually want a dedicated pc to act as a server for the Squeezetoy. I seriously doubt our humble Dell E510 will handle my 14-yr-old's gaming AND my music streaming simultaneously. So the initial $300 will just be the start, probably. Maybe I can come up with something cheap, though.

4mula1
2007-09-10, 04:01
Well, it wasn't the $300 so much as the fact I anticipate I will eventually want a dedicated pc to act as a server for the Squeezetoy. I seriously doubt our humble Dell E510 will handle my 14-yr-old's gaming AND my music streaming simultaneously. So the initial $300 will just be the start, probably. Maybe I can come up with something cheap, though.

You'll want to look into Linux for a dedicated server. It will run SlimServer better than Windows on older hardware. Keep your eyes out for some older used PCs, PIII or so. The worst you will have to do is put a NIC (<$20) and a larger hard drive in it.

I'm running Solaris on an Athlon 800MHz system I built sometime around 2000-2001. It was surplus and all I added was a new hard drive and some RAM. I think I spent ~$150 or so on the upgrade.

moley6knipe
2007-09-10, 06:40
This thread is bang on the money. After years of struggling with very poor network music players, using the SB3 means I can now find anything within seconds. And seeing as how it's not hard work to find music and I don't have to plough throw my 1000 or so CDs, I've also started buying loads and loads of the shiny fellas.

I'm mainly going down the charity shop/eBay route, and buying up things I remember having on vinyl/tape from my teenage years! For example, Doubt by Jesus Jones - 50 pence. My most expensive purchase recently was New Jersey by Bon Jovi - 3.20 inc postage. And if the CD's a bit scratched and the inlay's dog-eared, who cares? It's going in the loft once it's ripped!

Happy days. Of course, a lot of it's viewed through rose tinted glasses, which means some of it doesn't sound quite as good as I remember!

maggior
2007-09-10, 07:47
You'll want to look into Linux for a dedicated server. It will run SlimServer better than Windows on older hardware. Keep your eyes out for some older used PCs, PIII or so. The worst you will have to do is put a NIC (<$20) and a larger hard drive in it.

I'm running Solaris on an Athlon 800MHz system I built sometime around 2000-2001. It was surplus and all I added was a new hard drive and some RAM. I think I spent ~$150 or so on the upgrade.

This has been my experience as well. I recently switched from using Windows to Linux to host slimserver. I'm running SUSE 10.2 on a Dell refurbished PC (Pentium 4 HT) I recently purchased for $220. It came with 1GB RAM. All I had to add was a 500GB disc which ran me $120.

Regarding the impact SB has on your life - I have spent a good chunk of the last 10 months ripping, tagging, and organizing my CD collection. It's a bit of work, but soooo worth it in the end.

TiredLegs
2007-09-11, 10:52
A couple of months ago, my CD collection went from about 300 to 600 in one fell swoop, when a purchased an entire lot of classical music discs from an estate sale. My girlfriend whines about how much time I spend ripping the CDs, but then she really likes listening to the classical music on the SB3. Go figur'.