PDA

View Full Version : Changing from Wireless to Wired

obiwan
2007-09-08, 17:38
My SB3 keeps freezing playing music via wireless. Well it will have good a bad days, but its frustrating. As my laptop is in the same room as the stereo anyway, I'm thinking of just using an ethernet cable directly from the laptop to the SB3, avoiding the router altogether.

Is it a matter of just plugging in the cable, or will the SB3 still try and pick up the wireless signal at the same time. I mean, do I have to somehow disable the wireless connection to SB3. I don't want to disable wireless on my laptop as I still want to be able to surf the net etc, so what do I need to do to make sure SB3 is just getting the wired connection only from the laptop.

Mark Lanctot
2007-09-08, 17:48
All you have to do is plug the cable in, hold left on the remote for 5 seconds (or unplug/replug power) and go to network setup.

Strictly speaking, you should use a crossover cable (not an ordinary patch cable) but the laptop might have auto-sensing.

Where is your SlimServer located? On the laptop?

obiwan
2007-09-08, 18:19
Yep Mark, SlimServer is on my laptop.

So I should go to the computer store and ask for an ethernet crossover cable.

Thanks

Mark Lanctot
2007-09-08, 18:23
No wonder why you were having problems.

You had a two hop wireless arrangement, where the traffic would go from your laptop to your router wirelessly, then from your router to your SB wirelessly.

Of course, every time I mention this 5 people post and say "this works fine for me". But they're just weird. ;-)

Gibbo
2007-09-09, 00:51
This two hop system does in fact work fine for me.

Eric Seaberg
2007-09-09, 08:16
This two hop system does in fact work fine for me.

Of course this all depends on the bit-rate you're playing at. Typical MP3s would be fine, but anything lossless would crash and burn!

My Transporter in the living room is wired because I need massive throughput to play DTS or AC3 encoded files. The SB3 in the master bedroom is wireless but has a semi-dedicated AirPort for upstairs. Downstairs has another AirPort with a different name and channel. This guarantees the SB3 getting a good stream.

Also, my server (Mac MINI) is right next to the router, so it's pretty much a straight shot to the wireless APs. I've not had any problems with this setup, even playing 1Mbps lossless files.

YMMV

Gibbo
2007-09-09, 13:41
I know this might be getting a little off topic for the thread and unhelpful, but I do have some flac files on my system, and they play fine, no problems. computer is upstairs in the office, router is in the lounge, and SB is over the other side of the lounge, all wireless.

peejay
2007-09-09, 23:48
Of course, every time I mention this 5 people post and say "this works fine for me". But they're just weird. ;-)
Mark, you were right.....
BTW, A friend of mine tried the 2 hop arrangement and it was a complete failure.

Gibbo
2007-09-10, 00:28
note to self,

sarcasm is not appreciated on this forum ;-)