PDA

View Full Version : added second Squeezebox...problems

jsunandmax
2007-09-07, 13:47
I'm having troubles adding my second Squeezebox. When i do, the first one will cut out, or both play intermittently. I noticed that they both have the same 'player name' so I think the server might be getting confused? My questions are:

- how do i 'rename' a squeezebox, so each shows a different name from them http://serverIP:9000 page?

- when they are both working, how do I ensure they play in-synch? hearing them out-of-synch when walking through house is a real headache-maker :)

thanks in advance!

James_B
2007-09-07, 14:03
Try resetting (see below) then introducing them again one at a time: -

Player settings > FORGET PLAYER

to reset then

Player settings > PLAYER NAME

to rename

and then

Player settings > audio > SYNNCHRONIZE

Mine synced perfectly the first time and I donīt think I was just lucky.. donīt panic it really ought to be a breeze :)

ChrisNY
2007-09-07, 14:53
It could be related to IP adress conflicts. You could have either assigned the same IP adress to both of them or there may have been overlaps if they were automatically assigned. I would recommend giving them each a static IP address (search Wiki and/or forums if you need help on this). I seem to recall having a similar issue when I added my second Squeezebox until I assigned them static addresses.

-ChrisNY

jsunandmax
2007-09-10, 12:33
thanks guys, i'm sure the problem is same Player Name and not IP. I tried the above-suggestion, but no love. Here is what i did, maybe you could tell me where i'm going wrong.

1. Go to Server page. I have only ever seen one Player and say "Forget Player".

2. Turn off first Squeezeboxe (lets call bedroomSB), and turn back on with 'factory reset'. Configure, connect etc. everything is fine, although it default names it after the SSID.

3. Go to Server page and re-name the single connected SB. Playername=BedroomSB now. Cool!

4. Go to second Squeezebox, turn on with 'factory reset'. After it connects with the Server, it immediatly updates it's Playername to be the same as the other Squeezebox, in this cause 'BedroomSB' and now we have conflicts. it WORKS but stutters horribly, as the server thinks there is only one player connected.

HELP! Thanks so much everyone!

Mark Lanctot
2007-09-10, 12:42
Sounds like an IP address conflict. Are you sure the IP addresses of each player are unique? Are you using DHCP or static IP addresses?

alZmtbr
2007-09-10, 13:13
You could also verify the MAC addresses are what they should be?

The Assigned DHCP Table from the router should show this - or perhaps 'arp -a' from a command window.

In another thread someone mentioned that Players sometime forget their MAC address: clone themselves???

HTH
Allan

jsunandmax
2007-09-10, 14:02
i continue to have problems, even after speaking w/ tech support who said that multiple players should NOT showup as multiple entries on the webpage.

Can anyone tell me where 'synchronize' is?
i tried what the above post says, (IP:9000 webpage -> Player Settings for 'x' -> Audio). Under taht tab i see Power on Resume, Turn Off Audio, Crossfade etc. but nothing about 'synchronize'.

On the actual Squeezbox menus, i see Settings -> Player Settings but nothing there about synchronize either.

Finally, I just checked again, and the IP addresses are different. the port number keeps changing quickly though...

jsunandmax
2007-09-10, 14:27
UPDATE: i just verified they DO have the same MAC address! different IPs but same MAC. can anyone tell me how to manually change that, so they are different? (which i assume they should be?)

thanks in advance!

msherman
2007-09-10, 15:03
jsunandmax wrote:
> UPDATE: i just verified they DO have the same MAC address! different
> IPs but same MAC. can anyone tell me how to manually change that, so
> they are different? (which i assume they should be?)
>
> thanks in advance!

Do the physical labels on the back of the SBs show the same MAC address?
They certainly should have difference MACs.

- Marc

Eric Seaberg
2007-09-10, 20:17
UPDATE: i just verified they DO have the same MAC address! different IPs but same MAC. can anyone tell me how to manually change that, so they are different? (which i assume they should be?)

thanks in advance!

You can go into CURRENT SETTINGS on the player itself after holding down the LEFT button on the remote. It would come up saying SETUP NETWORKING or something like that. Hit the DOWN button to show CURRENT SETTINGS and hit the RIGHT button. Hit DOWN until you get to the MAC address. If it's different than what's on the box it came in, change it to match the box. If they're the same, change the last two characters to something different than the other SB.

jsunandmax
2007-09-11, 12:07
Victory is mine! Indeed there was some MAC 'cloning' going on where one of the devices made the other have the same MAC and i had troubles from that. Couple things for others who may follow this thread with interest:

- the tech support guy said all the players should have the same name, and i would only see a single entry on the webpage:9000. this is not correct. now that they have different MAC, they have different entries on the webpage, which allows me to 'rename' them and give them different names.

- MAC cloning (see above) was a big problem

- i listened whole-house for first time for about 1 hour, then music fanished. my slimserver just stopped running. I'm running it on a ReadyNAS +NV (www.infrant.com), which has been very stable so far. i'm hoping its a 1-time fluke...

thanks to everyone who helped!!!! LONG LIVE SLIM DEVICES!