PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox 3 will not reconnect to wireless network

NZJon
2007-09-06, 04:22
Hi there.

I have this intermittent problem with my Squeezebox 3, which I am using via a wireless network. The Squeezebox occasionally looses its wireless signal, and then refuses to reconnect. The only way I can get it to reconnect is to either hold down the power button on the remote for 5 seconds (which I think causes some kind of reset), or pull out the power cord, and reconnect. Once I have done this, the Squeezebox correctly detects the wireless network, and correctly comminucates with the Slimserver without any further interaction from me; no button presses, it just reconnects. Has anyone else seen this problem?

I wonder if a few more details would be useful. If my Squeezebox gets itself into this state, its screen is blank. No clock showing (I use the Date Time screensaver normally). If I press the power button on the remote briefly, then the display shows "Connecting to wireless network..." but then eventually returns to the blank screen. Even if I try pressing the power button briefly again, it still wont reconnect by itself.

I suspect that one reason the Squeezebox "looses" the wireless connection is that I sometime shift large files around between my laptop and main server, which may limit the bandwidth available to the Squeezebox. I am not sure on this though. I am pretty sure that the signal strength is pretty consistent, although again I have no scientific way of verifying this. Regardless of what causes the wireless connection to drop, I would have hoped that the Squeezebox would automatically attempt to reconnect periodically, and even, when the power button is pressed briefly, it should really connect properly, without needing to be forced to do the 5 second reset. (I am hoping to buy at least another Squeezebox, maybe two more, but I need to get by-in from my wife. If she sees that the one I have at the moment is a bit, how shall we say, temperamental, then it's a bit of an uphill struggle!)

So, some details about my wireless network.

It's running from an ASUS WL-500g Premium router, which has had DD-WRT v23 SP 2 installed. The router is the DHCP server. The DHCP lease given to the Squeezebox is 1 day (1440 mins). The network is run in AP mode, with a 32character SSID, which is not broadcast. It happens to be using channel 8, and there are no other networks that I can "see" in my neighbourhood.

The wireless security mode is "WPA2 Preshared Key Mixed", WPA algorithm is TKIP, the shared key is a string of 63 characters (bloomin' hard to enter via the Squeezebox's remote control!! ;), with a key renewal time of 3600 seconds.

The server info reported by the Slimserver is as follows:

VERSION INFO

SlimServer Version: 6.5.4 - 12568 - Debian - EN - iso-8859-1
Server IP address: 192.168.1.101
Perl Version: 5.8.8 x86_64-linux-gnu-thread-multi
MySQL Version: 5.0.38-Ubuntu_0ubuntu1

Player Firmware Version: 81

If anyone else can shed some light on this, that would be grand. I am reasonably willing to change my wireless network configuration, without opening it up too much. But, I'm really hoping that this is a known issue with a recommended solution.

Thanks guys,

Jon

danco
2007-09-06, 09:13
It's an issue some of us find occurs quite frequently. But no-one has yet worked out why.

I get it on a Mac, connected to a router/modem by wire, with an Airpor Extreme wired in to provide the connection with the SB.

But for me I never lose the connection when the computer is awake, but when the computer wakes from sleep the problem sometimes occurs, while at other times the SB comes back on line when the computer wakes.

Mark Lanctot
2007-09-06, 10:53
Wait a sec, WPA2/TKIP isn't a supported configuration. I'm surprised it works at all?

Try WPA2/AES.

NZJon
2007-09-06, 15:08
@danco -- somewhat disappointing to hear that others have found this same problem, but haven't really found out why it happens. It seems that this would undermine the value of running a Squeezebox wirelessly, particularly if you wanted to use the Alarm Clock plug in...

@Mark Lanctot -- I'll give that a try, and see what the result is. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks,

Jon

UNCMo96
2007-09-08, 11:20
I've had all the issues you describe (wifi dropouts and wife not buying in). There's a wifi faq which can be helpful, but in the end I just swiched to powerline network adapters and I'm much happier. As far as the wife, that I can't really help you with.

Aguida
2007-09-10, 06:29
NZJon,

you are really not alone. Lots of people have the same or smimilar problem and no anwer to why it happens. You may want to cast your vote for this bug: http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=5116

That increases the priority the bug has with slimdevices, as I believe they are already working oni it (at least I hope).

Regards.

quietdragon
2007-09-10, 09:19
You may want to cast your vote for this bug: http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=5116

That increases the priority the bug has with slimdevices, as I believe they are already working oni it (at least I hope).

Disappointingly not many people have voted for this bug.

I created a bugzilla account, voted, and added some more information (http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=5116#c15) about my experience with this problem.

tedfroop
2007-09-10, 13:44
Try turning your SSID broadcast back on. Turning it off so people can't find your network is a myth and makes it hard for devices to communicate sometimes.
The other is to try wifi channels 1, 6, or 11. All the channels in between use more than 1 channel to communicate and if there is a problem using a channel its harder to figure out where the problem is.

BTW - I had a problem with disconnects like you describe when I first got my Squeezebox but have not had the problem since firmware rev. 64

quietdragon
2007-09-10, 14:15
Try turning your SSID broadcast back on.

Good idea. It turns out two of my routers were broadcasting SSID, and the other two were not. I've got them all doing it now. We'll see.

The other is to try wifi channels 1, 6, or 11. All the channels in between use more than 1 channel to communicate and if there is a problem using a channel its harder to figure out where the problem is.

I'm already on channel 11.

BTW - I had a problem with disconnects like you describe when I first got my Squeezebox but have not had the problem since firmware rev. 64

What kind of AP are you using? What firmware?

quietdragon
2007-09-11, 10:26
Good idea. It turns out two of my routers were broadcasting SSID, and the other two were not. I've got them all doing it now. We'll see.

The problem persists even with SSID broadcast enabled.

OldeSchule
2007-09-11, 18:02
Somebody mentioned that WPA2/TKIP was unsupported on the SB3... The problem you're describing sounds like the "TKIP" part of your wireless config. If you turn off TKIP on your wireless router (if and how you do this will vary), you should stop dropping signal.

TKIP means that the access point forces the client to re-negotiate a key every so often - every 3600 seconds in your case. If the client doesn't support that, it just drops the signal. Turning the unit off and back on gets it to renegotiate. Granted, it's "more secure" to have it change every so often, but you still need to be able to use the thing.

quietdragon
2007-09-12, 08:59
Somebody mentioned that WPA2/TKIP was unsupported on the SB3... The problem you're describing sounds like the "TKIP" part of your wireless config. If you turn off TKIP on your wireless router (if and how you do this will vary), you should stop dropping signal.

Interesting idea.

I think you're referring to the group key renewal interval. On my router it must take a value between 600s (10mins) and 7200s (2hrs).

I can't find a way to disable this, but I can try increasing or decreasing its value, and seeing if the outage frequency changes accordingly.

hirschaj
2007-09-14, 04:12
I had the same problem with a dd-wrt flashed router. I ended up using an old non-dd-wrt router as an access point for my SB and it does not drop out anymore. Seems like a SB/router firmware bug.

quietdragon
2007-09-14, 08:55
I had the same problem with a dd-wrt flashed router. I ended up using an old non-dd-wrt router as an access point for my SB and it does not drop out anymore. Seems like a SB/router firmware bug.

Interesting. What kind of router are you using now? What firmware?

hirschaj
2007-09-14, 13:56
Interesting. What kind of router are you using now? What firmware?

I have a Buffalo WHR-G125 that is flashed with dd-wrt. It is super fast but has the issue with the SB dropping off and not reconnecting. So I added a Microsoft MN-700 to that as an access point and the SB only connects to the MN-700 wirelessly. No more problem.