PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox 1 vs Squeezebox 2/3

James_B
2007-09-06, 03:42
Can you access Squeezenetwork on an SB1?

What are the crucial things that can be done on an SB 2/3 that can't be done on their predecessor?

mherger
2007-09-06, 04:15
> Can you access Squeezenetwork on an SB1?

If you mean connect to SQN without a local server, than the answer is no. But in SlimServer 7 there will be much better integration of SQN with SlimServer, allowing even SliMP3 and SB1 to access some of the former SB2+ only services such as Pandora.

> What are the crucial things that can be done on an SB 2/3 that can't be
> done on their predecessor?

Direct streaming: streaming internet sources without a SlimServer. And later devices have a much bigger buffer, 11g wireless, wpa encryption. See http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?HardwareComparison

Michael

funkstar
2007-09-06, 06:39
What Michael said, but also software-based MP3, FLAC, Ogg Vorbis, WMA (except WMA Lossless), AIFF, WAV.

the SB1 can only handle MP3 and wav

Mitch G
2007-09-06, 07:26
A question about SB1 support of WAV, vs SB2/3 support of FLAC. Even though my files are ripped as FLAC, is native support of FLAC a critical benefit? In other words, both FLAC and WAV are lossless, right? So, even though my FLAC files get translated to WAV, does it actually affect the sound quality?
(The bottom line here is that I've been wondering if it would be worth upgrading due to this FLAC->WAV conversion that occurs for my SB1.)

Mitch

azinck3
2007-09-06, 08:22
A question about SB1 support of WAV, vs SB2/3 support of FLAC. Even though my files are ripped as FLAC, is native support of FLAC a critical benefit? In other words, both FLAC and WAV are lossless, right? So, even though my FLAC files get translated to WAV, does it actually affect the sound quality?
(The bottom line here is that I've been wondering if it would be worth upgrading due to this FLAC->WAV conversion that occurs for my SB1.)

Mitch

There's no loss of quality in the FLAC->WAV conversion. In fact, there are a handful of folks who claim that transcoding FLAC->WAV on the server results in better audio quality than doing it natively on the SB2/3. There's been no technical reason for this uncovered, and I sure can't hear a difference, and no one (to my knowledge) has shown measurements that show any reason for it to be true...so I'm skeptical :). You may still, however, see an audio improvement simply due to the fact that the SB2/3 models have better DACs and measurably better (in terms of clock-accuracy) digital outputs. I have SB1s and SB2s and run them all digitally and I can say that the difference is subtle, at best (the difference is much more noticeable in the analog outs).

But there are other, non-fidelity-related benefits to the native FLAC decoding on the SB2/3 models:

1) Slightly lower bandwidth demands on your network (streaming FLAC requires about two-thirds the bandwidth of WAV). But if you're not seeing dropouts with the SB1 then this probably won't matter much to you.

2) Fast-forward and rewind support is only provided to native formats. So you'll be able to FFW and REW FLAC on an SB2/3, something you've probably noticed you can't do on your SB1.

There are, of course, a slew of other advantages to an SB2/3 vs. an SB1, but that pretty much covers all the strictly FLAC-related benefits.

Note that I'm running a mix of SB1s and SB2s and still find the SB1s more than adequate for most things (truly, if it weren't for Rhapsody support requiring an SB2 then I probably would never have bothered upgrading from an SB1).

Mitch G
2007-09-06, 10:35
Thanks for the response. I've learned to live with lack of REW/FF and I have my SB1 hard wired to the network. So, I'll just sit tight in SB1-land.

Thanks,

Mitch

BigTony
2007-09-06, 10:40
Talking about FFW and REW, i've never had that working on my SB3, it just jumps to next track. Am I doing something wrong?

BT

Ben Sandee
2007-09-06, 10:53
On 9/6/07, BigTony <BigTony.2wi2cz1189100701 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> Talking about FFW and REW, i've never had that working on my SB3, it
> just jumps to next track. Am I doing something wrong?

You are doing something wrong if you are _not_ holding the ff/rew buttons
down.

Ben

azinck3
2007-09-06, 10:55
Talking about FFW and REW, i've never had that working on my SB3, it just jumps to next track. Am I doing something wrong?

BT

If you're playing back a native format then you should be able to press and hold the >> button. Press and hold again to go faster (2x, 4x, 8x, 16x, 32x...)

TCM
2008-02-07, 13:43
What Michael said, but also software-based MP3, FLAC, Ogg Vorbis, WMA (except WMA Lossless), AIFF, WAV.

the SB1 can only handle MP3 and wav

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I might get my hands on a SB1 and I want to get this right:

When you say: "the SB1 can only handle MP3 and wav" you mean the hardware can only handle mp3 and wav? I would still be able to flacs which were decoded on the server? And still use the tags?

What about about SQ if I'm listening from the analog outs? Are there any major difference compared to v.2/3?

pfarrell
2008-02-07, 13:50
TCM wrote:
>> the SB1 can only handle MP3 and wav
>
> Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I might get my hands on a SB1 and
> I want to get this right:
>
> When you say: "the SB1 can only handle MP3 and wav" you mean the
> *hardware* can only handle mp3 and wav? I would still be able to flacs
> which were decoded on the server? And still use the tags?

Yes, a SB1 will work fine, as long as the server transcodes
unsupported formats.
Tags work perfectly, etc.

But, if you use wireless and flac, you will find that sending the PCM
data takes up at least twice as much bandwidth. And a SB1 is only 11b,
so its taking up more of a smaller channel.

With my SB1 and wifi, I found I got too many dropouts using FLAC to
tolerate. So I ran Ethernet.

> What about about SQ if I'm listening from the analog outs? Are there
> any major difference compared to v.2/3?

There probably are some. But its not bad at all.

And you can always get a Benchmark DAC-1 and connect it, I did that for
years before I got my Transporter.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

Mitch Harding
2008-02-07, 13:55
> When you say: "the SB1 can only handle MP3 and wav" you mean the
> *hardware* can only handle mp3 and wav? I would still be able to flacs
> which were decoded on the server? And still use the tags?

Yes, the SB1 can handle all formats that the SB2/3 can handle, but the
server will have to do the decoding for everything except wav and mp3.
The tags will still show up properly on the SB1.

> What about about SQ if I'm listening from the analog outs? Are there
> any major difference compared to v.2/3?

I think the DAC in the SB2/3 is "better" than the one in the SB1, and
I seem to remember there being some other improvements to the audio
path, but I'm not sure how significant they would be considered.

Mitch

TCM
2008-02-07, 14:13
pfarrell & Mitch Harding: Thanks! I use flacs and ethernet so, it looks like I'll try the SB1 then. :)

One last question: could you give an example of what mherger talks about?

>
> What are the crucial things that can be done on an SB 2/3 that can't be
> done on their predecessor?[/color]

Direct streaming: streaming internet sources without a SlimServer.
Michael

Mitch Harding
2008-02-07, 14:16
I think with SB2/3 you can listen to internet radio without having
your server up and running. With SB1 I don't think that's possible.
For me it doesn't matter since my server runs 24x7 anyway.

On Feb 7, 2008 3:13 PM, TCM
<TCM.34fir01202418902 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
> One last question: could you give an example of what mherger talks
> about?
>
> Michael Herger;225504 Wrote:
> > >
> > > What are the crucial things that can be done on an SB 2/3 that can't
> > be
> > > done on their predecessor?
> >
> > Direct streaming: streaming internet sources without a SlimServer.
> > Michael
>
>
>
> --
> TCM
>
> 'Squeezebox 3' (http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_squeezebox.html) ->
> 'Trends Audio TA-10.1'
> (http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/trends/ta10.html) -> 'QLN QuBiC
> 121' (http://www.minhembio.com/produkt/163409)
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 'WhatTheFuckHiFi.com' (http://whatthefuckhifi.com/)
> 'Last.fm: ThisCharmingMan' (http://www.last.fm/user/ThisCharmingMan)
> 'Save Internet Radio' (http://www.savenetradio.org)
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> TCM's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=702
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=38209
>
> [/color]

pfarrell
2008-02-07, 14:19
TCM wrote:
> pfarrell & Mitch Harding: Thanks! I use flacs and ethernet so, it looks
> like I'll try the SB1 then. :)
>
> One last question: could you give an example of what mherger talks
> about?

The sb1 is too dumb to talk to SqueezeNetwork.
You can play internet radio, you just have to have the server grab it
and pass it on to the SB1. The later models have more brains and can do
SqueezeNetwork without a server at all, or at least without a local
server. SqueezeNetwork is really just using someone else's server.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

jvandervort
2008-02-07, 14:21
I was way too slow:)

gorman
2008-02-07, 15:55
SB2 and later handle replaygain tags. SB1 doesn't.

TCM
2008-02-08, 05:40
SB2 and later handle replaygain tags. SB1 doesn't.

That's not good, but it's still not enough to not buy.

What about the power supply? Is it the same as the one SB3 uses and is that available somewhere?

mherger
2008-02-08, 06:12
> What about the power supply?

Yes, it's the same.

--

Michael

TCM
2008-02-11, 01:33
> What about the power supply?

Yes, it's the same.

--

Michael

Thanks Michael! Can anybody answer my second question?

What about the power supply? Is it the same as the one SB3 uses and is that available somewhere?

Can I buy the power supply separately? (a Swedish power supply)

gorman
2008-02-11, 02:12
That's not good, but it's still not enough to not buy.

What about the power supply? Is it the same as the one SB3 uses and is that available somewhere?Apparently SB1 could be tougher to correctly sync up with other players in your network.

This is what I understood from the thread discussing the synch improvements in SC7. It was also mentioned, though, that a single SB1 could be probably handled correctly.

TCM
2008-02-11, 02:17
Apparently SB1 could be tougher to correctly sync up with other players in your network.

This is what I understood from the thread discussing the synch improvements in SC7. It was also mentioned, though, that a single SB1 could be probably handled correctly.

Well, that won't be a problem for me. This will be a bed side headphone player and will never be played with my other Squeezebox.

gorman
2008-02-11, 02:38
Well, that won't be a problem for me. This will be a bed side headphone player and will never be played with my other Squeezebox.Then go for it, I think all the major differences have been laid out for you by now. :)

TCM
2008-02-11, 02:43
Then go for it, I think all the major differences have been laid out for you by now. :)

It's only the question about the power supply :) Perhaps I can use a 110 V -> 230 v power converter?

BillyBob
2008-06-20, 23:13
I have the 110v SB Power Supply (from USA) and live in 220v area, and therefore use a 220v to 110v converter (Other way around). It works Perfectly!

and for a side note. My SB Power Supply states that it supports 50 - 60 Hz, this part is important as well, as usually, 220v countries are 50hz, and 110v countries are 60hz...

radish
2008-06-21, 10:21
It's only the question about the power supply :) Perhaps I can use a 110 V -> 230 v power converter?

You just need something that can output 5v @ 2A, you should be able to buy something locally.

TCM
2008-06-28, 14:15
You just need something that can output 5v @ 2A, you should be able to buy something locally.

Thanks, but I bought a SB2 instead and I'm very happy :)