PDA

View Full Version : Nokia770 skin not available in SS7

MikeFish
2007-09-05, 10:09
Is anyone aware that the Nokia770 skin is not available with slimserver 7? I know it's not even at Beta stage yet but I was just wondering if you guys were aware.
If you try to load it up all you get is the Touch skin instead (which is very similar).

bklaas
2007-09-05, 10:14
Are you using IE? If so, you're getting redirected to Touch, as the CSS positioning in Nokia770 doesn't work in the utter senselessness that is IE.

I'm accessing Nokia770 via my svn updated SS7, and is loading fine.

If you aren't using IE when seeing this behavior (and are using a fairly recent SS7), I would like to know about that so I can investigate further.

cheers,
#!/ben

kdf
2007-09-05, 10:15
Are you trying to access using IE? Nokia770 skin doesn't work with IE, and so it's redirected. It is most certainly included with the builds.
-kdf

MikeFish
2007-09-05, 10:20
I'm using the latest version of SS7.
I have the same thing with IE7 and Firefox in Windows XP, and on my Nokia N800 using either Opera or a Mozilla based browser.
Just to clarify, from memory the difference between the Touch skin and the Nokia770 skin was that the Nokia one had the option to browse by artwork on the home page and the Touch had browse artwork 1 by 1?

bklaas
2007-09-05, 10:54
The principal difference between Touch and Nokia770 is in the positioning of elements on the page. Touch "stretches to fit", and contains some hacks to deal with IE better, whereas Nokia770 is built to conform to the Nokia Tablet's 800x480 screen resolution.

They both support the '1-by-1' artwork feature.

I don't understand why you are seeing the behavior that you are with all of these browsers...I do not see the same. Are you saying that you actually see the browser redirect the URL to Touch?

#!/ben

kdf
2007-09-05, 11:00
Look on the search page. If you see a "keyboard", that's touch. Otherwise it's nokia. The artwork options aren't the real indicator. There is also a note in the logging (network.http) that will mention the redirect if MSIE is detected. N770 and N800 recent fimware spoofs MSIE in part, but the agent string is still checked for the variations. Firefox should never trigger the redirect unless you have installed some sort of extension that is spoofing the agent string.

-kdf

MikeFish
2007-09-05, 11:27
Ok, thanks guys. There problem is me!
When I click on search I only get the keyboard with IE7 as you both have said.
What made me think otherwise is that I could have sworn the difference between the 2 was that the Nokia one had browse by artwork. I can't see that anymore. Was it my imagination or was it never even there? If it was there, why/when did it go?

bklaas
2007-09-05, 11:32
You aren't going crazy-- Gallery browse has eliminated the need for a separate icon for artwork browsing.

Click on the Album link from the home page. When the page loads, you will either be presented with an artwork browse or a text-based browse. There is an icon to the left of the home icon on the menu bar that will toggle between the two. Giddyup!

cheers,
#!/ben

bklaas
2007-09-05, 11:35
Also, I should note that gallery browse has one of the major enhancements to the Nokia770/Touch skin family in SS7-- the album covers are clickable, and will pop-up (through Ajax) a track listing for a given album. From there you can select individual tracks to play/add to a playlist.

cheers,
#!/ben

MikeFish
2007-09-05, 11:45
Wow, how cool is that!
You're absolutely right of course. That makes it so much better than the older version for me because it allows me to click an album cover and see it's entire name then continue browsing from where I was (rather than click the album and then hit the back button and start browsing from the top of the page again). This is useful because I have 2 copies of many albums in my library (MP3 and FLAC) and the only real difference is I add FLAC to the end of the album name.
So, many many many thanks guys, this is ace!