PDA

View Full Version : deezer plugin please!

James_B
2007-09-04, 03:47
This has been proposed elsewhere but maybe someone here is interested in pursuing a plug-in for deezer (www.deezer.com)? Its a free Pandora clone that is apparently legal... plus it works in Europe ;)

skind56
2007-09-04, 05:27
This does appear a good idea, for a plugin, but can anyone provide an assessment on the sound quality?

amcluesent
2007-09-04, 05:49
64kbit or 128kbit according to this how-to (http://my.opera.com/TrueJournals/blog/2007/08/22/anything-streamed-can-be-downloaded) on getting into the stream.

marnie6771
2007-10-15, 03:16
Indeed, a Deezer.com plugin would mean bliss for all the European SB owners. Finally there is a good alternative for Rhapsody!

Cheers,

Marcel

Siduhe
2007-10-15, 03:46
Its a free Pandora clone that is apparently legal... plus it works in Europe ;)

Well, legal in respect of SonyBMG music, or in respect of artists' royalties (played in France). Universal are taking a different view at the moment.

http://french-law.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=68&Itemid=1

The problem with Deezer is the same one highlighted by Pandora as a reason they are finding it difficult to expand over here - there isn't a central European body who can deal with artists' and label royalties.

At the moment, Deezer only plays royalties to SACEM (Society for the Collective Management of Copyright Royalties) in France. It's not clear at the moment if/how SACEM has granted a licence to broadcast internationally or Europe wide - normally licences are done on a strict territory by territory basis and I've certainly never heard of a Europe-wide one before. It has shades of the AllofMP3 argument about it - a licence for a particular territorial jurisdiction, but allows use outside the terms of that licence by default.

As a result, a lot of people are speculating that Deezer will need to be limited to French-based IP addresses in the near future.

-Stef-
2007-10-21, 03:08
As a result, a lot of people are speculating that Deezer will need to be limited to French-based IP addresses in the near future.

So if a plugin could be made we (the non french) can at least enjoy Deezer until then. I support the plugin idea totally since the waveinput plugin option doesn't work for me.