PDA

View Full Version : Radio streams using local Slim Server

JJZolx
2007-09-03, 09:16
When an SB is connected to a radio stream using the local Slim Server, does the server act as a proxy or does the SB connect directly with the streaming URL? Or does it depend on whether or not the SB can natively decode the streaming format?

snarlydwarf
2007-09-03, 20:57
Short answer: "Yes."

Long answer: it depends.

In most cases, yes, the SB will connect directly to the remote server (much like it does with SN, keeping the connection for the rasdio open, while also keeping a connectio to the server open for control functions). Slimserver will pass it a URL, and the SB will go fetch it.

In the case of adjusting the buffering, however, SS will proxy it. And of course if it has to transcode, it will proxy for that (ie, AlienBBC).

And I would guess that with the radio-syncing stuff in SS7 that SS will be proxying it, but since I depend on Erland's plugins I can't use ss7 yet.

JJZolx
2007-09-03, 23:36
Short answer: "Yes."
>> Does X use A or B?
>
> Yes.

bpa
2007-09-04, 01:24
This is my understanding.

1. SB will connect directly to source if it can be played natively i.e. MP3, WMA and OGG. The test for this is to start playing a station and then stop slimserver the display will go blank but stream will keep playing.

2.Slimserver can still proxy for MP3 (as in pre 6.5.x) if it is set in Player settings (I think).

3. Other formats can be proxied by disabling "built-in" in Server Setting/Filetype and forcing transcoding.

4. Non native format - the stream from the radio always terminated in Slimservers which transcodes and then sends transcoding stream to SB.

I'm not sure what happens when SBs are synchronised and paying a radio stream - I think SS must proxy but I don't know if it transcodes.