PDA

View Full Version : SB3 24/48 FLAC Spontaneous Trouble

jt25741
2007-09-02, 21:46
Hi all,

I have a rather bazaar scenario with my SB setup.

I have for some time been enjoying about 10 or so 24bit/48Khz FLAC encoded albums(decoded on the SB) without issue. These are stored with FLAC 5 Compression(default).

The SB has not ever stuttered or had trouble with these same exact files files -- with still relatively responsive scrolling and control with the remote as well.

All of a sudden, to my amazement, these same exact files are causing the SB3 trouble now. What is happening is, stuttering and often temporary unresponsiveness to the remote. Looking at the server, I see my CPU utilization is <5%, as usual. Playing any of hundreds of 16/44.1 files still presents no issue with stuttering of responsiveness. All of a sudden, it seems that decoding the FLAC files is taking just too much SB3 CPU -- but the firmware has not changed. Also, no screensaver is on(screen is set up shut off after 15 sec of inactivity). Keeping display on/off doesn't seem to help either way. SB is wirelessly connected with 90+% signal strength (I never have issues here since Wireless AP is 15 ft away). I have tried unplugging and plugging in the SB3, plus restarting the slimserver -- both having no remedy to the problem.

Again, SB Firmware has not changed and is still at 6.5.0.

Any ideas in what his happening and how I can all of a sudden be having trouble just with the 24/48 FLAC files on the SB that used to work flawlessly?

Thanks a bunch!

Mark Lanctot
2007-09-03, 10:53
Despite your assertions to the contrary, it really does sound like a wireless bandwidth issue. Perhaps there's a new source of intermittent interference. See http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?DiagnosingPerformanceIssues and http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?NetworkProblemsSecondGuide

Failing that, have you changed your screensaver or started using ReplayGain? The spectrum analyzer screensaver and ReplayGain together use up a fair amount of the Squeezebox's CPU.

jt25741
2007-09-03, 11:09
Mark... appreciate the pointers. I'll report back here what these tests come up with.

Thanks again

Jim

jt25741
2007-09-03, 21:14
Despite your assertions to the contrary, it really does sound like a wireless bandwidth issue. Perhaps there's a new source of intermittent interference. See http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?DiagnosingPerformanceIssues and http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?NetworkProblemsSecondGuide

Failing that, have you changed your screensaver or started using ReplayGain? The spectrum analyzer screensaver and ReplayGain together use up a fair amount of the Squeezebox's CPU.

I should have known better being a network guy, of sorts. Anyways...although the signal strength I have had was good -- I must be getting interference of some kind, as you stated. This was proven so far by changing my Wireless channel to channel 1, from 6 -- which is also mentioned in the FAQ. What I think through me for a loop was that the SB was behaving like it was out of CPU -- sluggish and slow. This must be the way it behaves when it is having trouble keeping a lock on the stream from the net.

Anyways, changing to 1 seemed to do the trick. Doing a wireless survey of my area, I do see another weaker WAP on channel 6 -- which is likely a new neighbor crowding "my" airwaves ;)

Thanks again Mark!

Jim

pfarrell
2007-09-03, 21:36
jt25741 wrote:
> Anyways, changing to 1 seemed to do the trick. Doing a wireless
> survey of my area, I do see another weaker WAP on channel 6 -- which is
> likely a new neighbor crowding "my" airwaves ;)

This is one of my pet peeves about WiFi. You can have it working
perfectly, and unknown to you, a neighbor adds a network to their house
and it trashes your setup.

Its much worse in cities, esp. apartment buildings.
Not much we can do, other than run wires, or hope that the standard
after N will be better.

Mark Lanctot
2007-09-04, 10:20
Excellent, great to hear things are working better now.

What I think through me for a loop was that the SB was behaving like it was out of CPU -- sluggish and slow. This must be the way it behaves when it is having trouble keeping a lock on the stream from the net.

The SB gets its screen display and processes all its commands in SlimServer. If it has a hard time connecting to SlimServer, it'll alternate between music player and paperweight. ;-)

I do see another weaker WAP on channel 6 -- which is likely a new neighbor crowding "my" airwaves ;)

This will probably happen more and more as the wireless market reaches saturation. Some (or maybe all) of the draft-n routers heavily interfere with other APs in the area.

It's kind of getting like an arms race - if you want a stable wireless network, you have to get one powerful enough to blow your neighbours away.