PDA

View Full Version : Broken dependency

queequeg
2007-09-01, 10:37
How do dependencies get broken by uninstalling Slimserver 6.5.4?
I suspected problems on my system with this release, installed under Ubuntu 7.04. After installing, every track played has the first ~1 second of music muted, and this has never happened with any earlier version. After uninstalling, any attempt to reinstall the current, or any previous, version fails due to an unsatisfied dependency for libcgi-perl. Synaptic shows libCGI-perl (note the caps) is installed. Checking its Properties displays the message

The list of installed files is only available for installed packages

under Installed Files. So, the package (with the CGI in caps) is installed, but contains no files. Apparently a dummy entry of some kind. My /etc/apt/sources.list has not been modified, so I'm pretty sure this is not a repository problem. Anyone have a clue about what's going on here? This is an SB3 wireless with optical digital connection to an Outlaw 1070 receiver.

queequeg
2007-09-02, 11:54
1. When I use my remote to make a selection and then press "Play," the first ~1 sec of the first track will be muted. Subsequent tracks play in full until that procedure is repeated.

2. When I follow the Slimdevices.com instructions for installing the Debian package, I can reinstall 6.5.4.

3. I cannot uninstall 6.5.4 and install 6.5.3 passing the version to apt-get using the package=version option. apt-get returns a message indicating the version can't be found, presumably because the older version is no longer in the Slimdevices repository.

4. So the question is, how do I back up to an older version?

Dougal
2007-09-02, 13:40
Missing second,
Your receiver may just require some start up time, have a look at player settings > audio > audio start up time.

Doug.

queequeg
2007-09-03, 15:05
Well, the text for that setting indicates it's for MP3 playback, unless MP3 is being used generically. My music is all FLAC, but I fiddled with the setting anyway. The length of the muted segment at the beginning appeared to vary, but was never eliminated at any setting I tried, from 0.15 to 0.50. I'm pretty sure this problem first showed up when I upgraded from 6.5.3 to 6.5.4. I've had the SB since last Christmas, and have never had any problems before.
I think there must be a relatively painless way to rollback to the previous version, but I have not found one yet. Doing that would tell me for sure whether the problem is in the new release or elsewhere.

Dougal
2007-09-04, 00:53
I think there must be a relatively painless way to rollback to the previous version, but I have not found one yet. Doing that would tell me for sure whether the problem is in the new release or elsewhere.

ok,
If i wanted to install an earlier version i would try the following:

1. backup plugins, make a note of any settings.

2. "sudo apt-get --purge remove slimserver" should remove any trace of slimserver.

3. comment out slimserver repo in sources.list

4. download slimserver version *.deb from here: http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/

5. "sudo dpkg -i *.deb" to install slimserver

With luck you are not dropped into dependency hell.

Doug.

queequeg
2007-09-05, 09:42
Bless you, Dougal. I guess it was my failure to comment out the Slimdevices repository in the sources.list file that was giving me grief. I removed 6.5.4 and installed 6.5.2. Unfortunately, the problem with the muted startup remains, so maybe it's the receiver. The Outlaw has some known quirks, but it sure sounds good. Funny I had not noticed this anomaly until around the time I installed 6.5.4, since I've had the receiver almost 2 months now. I guess it's like the Rock Man says: you see what you want to see, and you hear what you want to hear.