PDA

View Full Version : First Impressions - Jive hardware/software

fluffybeastie
2007-08-31, 14:50
Hi, 's my first post here. I hope you're all well.

I thought i'd post my first impressions. Firstly, a little background as to my usage.

I'm 27 live in a large flat with a friend(27) and his girlfriend(21)

My housemates and I currently run a single SqueezBox in our main living area. It's positioned under the TV (so competes for use) and integrates with an amp that's also shared with the TV and DVD player.

It connects to a wireless network. SlimServer runs on a Windows box that also serves at a home computer. We've not downloaded any additional plugins for any Slim products.

We have a reasonably large collection of music on that computer, ripped using iTunes and even more on other formats - mainly CD, that have not been ripped yet. The SqueezeBox is the only non-portable device in the flat that's used for playing music aloud although we have 2 desktops and a laptop.
We might use playlists for certain occasions, but they are not generally used and are compiled in iTunes.

We don't download any music from the internet.

I got the latest jive.bin from the site today and any issues mentioned are present in that version.

My comments are be based on my, admittedly limited, use of the complete package to listen to music over a few days. It's therefore possible that there may be cross bleed between the various items that make up the system - but all of them are Slim. My comments here do not claim to look viability from a business perspective.

A few comments about the hardware:

-Battery case cover has about 0.5mm of travel which does, to an extent, affect the feel/perception of build quality.

-The pause and volume up buttons must be a little far away from the backlights which gives them a rather brown/yellow hue.

-Volume up icon seems to be off-center on the button.

-The unit itself is quite large but it has a nice weight and feel to it (apart from the battery case)

-I like the screen.

-If i had kids then i'd be a little worried about the gloss finish on the back, but i don't so it's fine.

-Buttons have nice feel.

-Flatmates asked if it was available in white or silver. They were also scared that, being clumsy, they might break it. They didn't like that they were always drawn to try and rub of their grubby paw prints.

---------

In use (software + hardware) :

-Doesn't wake_on_lan like the Squeezebox does...which means reverting back the original IR remote to fire up the PC.

-Booting has a clock in the top left hand corner, i'm sure i've read it in another post.

-Time format didn't change between 12 and 24hr in the clock in the bottom right hand display. Date format probably shouldn't have 1st Jan 1970 as the example - since day and month are both "01" - maybe this should be hardcoded to a more suitable value?

-When using a flickr screensaver the "loading" text is off the screen.

-I like the look of the analog. It'd be nice maybe to have the name of the trace scrolling across the bottom.

-It might just be me, did there used to be a 'play all tracks at random' type of command - i don't want to have to select a playlist or a single album.

-The volume control didn't seem to work at all.

-"Now playing" was quite sluggish to populate.

-"Play all songs" in "My Music" give no audible feedback that it's worked (i was testing the device whilst the TV was selected as the amp source)

-Selecting "pause' maybe has the wrong sound - and the window maybe doesn't need a sound when it moves off.

-never really got the skip buttons to work, if it did work then it would only ever work once. I think that would stop more songs playing after the subsequent songs.

-i didn't really like that the device would stack the various button clicks sometimes - maybe a lockout would be more appropriate until the action has completed, which might make it feel less...sluggish? I did manage to get the interface to stop responding by button hammering.

- scrolling through any large list was a little tiresome, and somewhat unpredictable when scrolling quickly.

- wasn't sure if (+) was working - a sound would be a good indicator if it was working.

- no positive feedback on shuffle and repeat controls

- in 'now playing' it'd be nice if the middle button acted as a play button.

Heh, that's it for now (sorry Rich!! )I'll post more on any issues that arise as i get more into it.

mvalera
2007-08-31, 16:52
Great feedback, thanks!

Just one note, remember these are beta units! :)

The battery door issue you're experiencing has already been solved with a new rev of the case. It's now VERY tight.

Cheers,

Mike

rtitmuss
2007-09-03, 04:25
Heh, that's it for now (sorry Rich!! )I'll post more on any issues that arise as i get more into it.

Thanks for the feedback! It would be great if you could enter the software bugs into http://bugs.slimdevices.com.

Cheers,
Richard

vrobin
2007-09-03, 08:32
It seems that I've missed something... can anybody point me to a post describing this "hardware alpha version" of a SS remote? What was the condition to be enrolled in the program?

erland
2007-09-03, 08:55
It seems that I've missed something... can anybody point me to a post describing this "hardware alpha version" of a SS remote?

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=37856

vrobin
2007-09-03, 09:32
Thanks, i had seen this thread with pictures but oddly missed the first post or read it too quickly (my mistake).

fluffybeastie
2007-09-09, 12:12
just downloaded the latest version - UI feels a LOT better.

ModelCitizen
2007-09-17, 11:22
The battery door issue you're experiencing has already been solved with a new rev of the case. It's now VERY tight.

I must have received one of the new ones then.

Can someone tell me exactly how I get the battery cover off?

I have not yet used extreme force as I do not want to break it, but I am imagining that I put some force on the indent in the back of the cover and attempt to slide the cover downwards (i.e. towards the bottom of the device). Is this correct?

Thanks.

BTW. It looks quite exciting.

MC

dean
2007-09-17, 11:28
Sorry for the difficulty. You shouldn't be able to break it while
opening it, so feel free to use a little force. Put the tips of your
fingers in the indentation and rest your fingers along the back, down
to the base. Then pull the back down with your whole hand, pushing
up the front.

ModelCitizen
2007-09-17, 11:37
Sorry for the difficulty. You shouldn't be able to break it while opening it, so feel free to use a little force. Put the tips of your fingers in the indentation and rest your fingers along the back, down to the base. Then pull the back down with your whole hand, pushing
up the front.
Got it! Cheers Dean.
MC

ModelCitizen
2007-09-17, 15:01
I'm really not certain where I should post this stuff... or even if I'm welcome to post it.... but here goes anyway...

I can't get my new Jive to see my wireless network. My guess is that it's 'cos I'm using channel 13. Has anyone got it to connect to 13?

Yes I did select "Europe" on the opening set up screen.

I've tried typing the settings in manually (oh why oh why did I choose such a long SSID?) but still no joy.

My wireless network is:
Channel 13
G & B
64 bit WEP encrypted (authentication: automatic)
Broadcast SSID
No MAC filtering.

Any hints welcome.

Cheers.

MC

ezkcdude
2007-09-17, 15:06
Got it! Cheers Dean.
MC

I had the same question, but just figured a little force would be ok. My next question is how to actually control my Squeezebox. I got it to recognize the wi-fi. I installed SS7. Now what?

Patrick Dixon
2007-09-17, 15:18
I had the same question, but just figured a little force would be ok. My next question is how to actually control my Squeezebox. I got it to recognize the wi-fi. I installed SS7. Now what?

Well you're doing better than me. I can't get SS7 installed. The battery was no problem though ....

kdf
2007-09-17, 15:20
Yes I did select "Europe" on the opening set up screen.

If you back out of that setting, then go back, is it still saying Europe? At one point, the firmware wasn't handling anything other than America, thus CH13 would be invalid. I'm not sure which firmware version you might have, but it's an easy one to work around:

Try changing channels temporarily.

-kdf

ceejay
2007-09-18, 01:13
If you back out of that setting, then go back, is it still saying Europe? At one point, the firmware wasn't handling anything other than America, thus CH13 would be invalid. I'm not sure which firmware version you might have, but it's an easy one to work around:

-kdf

Similar problem here. Couldn't get my unit to connect to wireless at all - I have two WAPs on different channels (1 and 6) and couldn't connect to either of them. I seem also to have the firmware that won't let me change region to Europe, but if I'm using 1 and 6 is that a problem?

In my case it turned out that the first problem was that the MAC address printed on the unit (00:04:20:1A:00:62) was completely wrong: its actually 00:13:e0:a1:58:ba and my MAC filtering was stopping it connecting.

I've now allowed both addresses and I can connect to one wireless but not the other - no idea why, and life's too short to worry about that, at least I'm connected now and can move on to the next step.

Odd about the MAC address though.

Ceejay

bpa
2007-09-18, 02:28
I found the wifi reception not great so get close to the WAP.

If you have an SD card - it may be helpful to upgrade firmware manually by copying jive.bin from the nightly to the SD.

Siduhe
2007-09-18, 02:46

-kdf

Same here - Will not stick on "Europe" and keeps reverting to US & Mexico. Works if I select a lower channel.

Patrick Dixon
2007-09-18, 03:06
Well you're doing better than me. I can't get SS7 installed. The battery was no problem though ....

Can anyone who understands perl here help please.

SS7 appears to depend on libjson-xs-perl & libfile-next-perl, neither of which are installable on ubuntu and via CPAN. They also don't appear to exist in the SS7 nightly tar file - so I am dead in the water as far as testing this remote is concerned.

What are these modules, and why are they not available to me - and more importantly how do I install them?

Ben Sandee
2007-09-18, 07:34
On 9/18/07, Patrick Dixon <
Patrick.Dixon.2x3pan1190110201 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
>
> Patrick Dixon;227669 Wrote:
> > Well you're doing better than me. I can't get SS7 installed. The
> > battery was no problem though ....
>
> Can anyone who understands perl here help please.
>
> SS7 appears to depend on libjson-xs-perl & libfile-next-perl, neither
> of which are installable on ubuntu and via CPAN. They also don't
> appear to exist in the SS7 nightly tar file - so I am dead in the water
> as far as testing this remote is concerned.
>
> What are these modules, and why are they not available to me - and more
> importantly how do I install them.

They are on debian.slimdevices.com, if you are using Ubuntu then add the
'unstable' repository to your sources.list.

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?DebianPackage

Ben

Patrick Dixon
2007-09-18, 07:38
Patrick.Dixon.2x3pan1190110201 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
>
> Patrick Dixon;227669 Wrote:
> > Well you're doing better than me. I can't get SS7 installed. The
> > battery was no problem though ....
>
> Can anyone who understands perl here help please.
>
> SS7 appears to depend on libjson-xs-perl & libfile-next-perl, neither
> of which are installable on ubuntu and via CPAN. They also don't
> appear to exist in the SS7 nightly tar file - so I am dead in the water
> as far as testing this remote is concerned.
>
> What are these modules, and why are they not available to me - and more
> importantly how do I install them.

They are on debian.slimdevices.com, if you are using Ubuntu then add the
'unstable' repository to your sources.list.

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?DebianPackage

BenThanks Ben

However I have
deb http://debian.slimdevices.com unstable main
in sources.list
and it doesn't find them. Something, somewhere, in the debian install seems broken.

OK - I've just looked and the 386 version appears very different to the amd64 version - which I guess I'm on. Who is maintaining the debian build?

Ben Sandee
2007-09-18, 07:42
Patrick.Dixon.2x41sn1190126401 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> However I have
> deb http://debian.slimdevices.com unstable main
> in sources.list
> and it doesn't find them. Something, somewhere, in the debian install
> seems broken.

It's working for me, I'm tracking unstable using Ubuntu gutsy. What happens
when you do this:

sudo apt-get install libjson-xs-perl

and/or

sudo apt-cache show libjson-xs-perl

Maybe paste your sources.list and make sure you've done an apt-get update
recently.

Ben

Patrick Dixon
2007-09-18, 07:56
Patrick.Dixon.2x41sn1190126401 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> However I have
> deb http://debian.slimdevices.com unstable main
> in sources.list
> and it doesn't find them. Something, somewhere, in the debian install
> seems broken.

It's working for me, I'm tracking unstable using Ubuntu gutsy. What happens
when you do this:

sudo apt-get install libjson-xs-perl

and/or

sudo apt-cache show libjson-xs-perl

Maybe paste your sources.list and make sure you've done an apt-get update
recently.

Ben

root@mediaserver:/home/dixon# apt-get install libjson-xs-perl
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package libjson-xs-perl is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
E: Package libjson-xs-perl has no installation candidate

I bet you are on 386 - I suspect this is an amd64 issue with the unstable repo.

Ben Sandee
2007-09-18, 08:17
Patrick.Dixon.2x42pz1190127602 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
>
> I bet you are on 386 - I suspect this is an amd64 issue with the
> unstable repo

I'm sure you are right. It would be nice if Logitech packaged up a source
repository so that you could use the standard Debian build techniques to
build for alternate architectures on your own.

Ben

rtitmuss
2007-09-18, 09:10

That's right. Earlier firmware versions did not change the wireless region correctly. I have just tested the latest version here, and channel 13 is working fine.

Can you see what firmware version you have installed (look in Settings > Remote Settings > Advanced Settings > About Jive).

Assuming this is an old firmware, as a work around you'll need to change the channel on your access point temporarily.

Cheers,
Richard

Patrick Dixon
2007-09-18, 12:31
Patrick.Dixon.2x42pz1190127602 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
>
> I bet you are on 386 - I suspect this is an amd64 issue with the
> unstable repo

I'm sure you are right. It would be nice if Logitech packaged up a source
repository so that you could use the standard Debian build techniques to
build for alternate architectures on your own.

BenI've managed to install the missing modules with CPAN, and use equivs to fool apt-get that the dependencies had been satsfied, and it's now scanning the library.

I've filled bug 5509 against the debian packager/installer

Patrick Dixon
2007-09-18, 15:18
OK, no problems getting the jive remote connected to the network, seeing SS, and updating its firmware, but the choose player menu is completely empty (there are 2 SB3s one wired, one wireless). I've reset everything but it still it can't see any players.

Any ideas?

rtitmuss
2007-09-18, 15:23
OK, no problems getting the jive remote connected to the network, seeing SS, and updating its firmware, but the choose player menu is completely empty (there are 2 SB3s one wired, one wireless). I've reset everything but it still it can't see any players.

I think that's a side effect of a change that Ben made earlier. I'll check with him.

rtitmuss
2007-09-18, 15:47

Any ideas?

Can you update slimserver and try again, I think this should be fixed now.

pfarrell
2007-09-18, 18:50
Got my Jive control yesterday.
My wife picked it up and got music playing. Cover art displays.

I'm running Mandriva 2007, which has trouble with the installs because of some really dumb decisions that the Mandriva distro folks made. Had to manually install some CPAN modules. Not really Slim's issue. Got it up in under a half hour, even with false starts.

Very cool. Album art has bugs when there are multiple albums per artist. "Now Playing" seems to be missing, or at least I can't guess how to get the current playlist displayed.

Time on the remote is way off, not just the hour, but minutes are wacko. It should be able to get the time from NTP, one of my servers is active on the pool.ntp.com so I keep real good time.

The install of SS 7 broke the names of some of my SqueezeBoxen, which I fixed through the old HTML interface, I got to the place in the Jive to change it, but entering characters one at a time with the scroll wheel is not my idea of fun. The new name is not picked up by the Jive home -- it shows the raw IP numbers.

I can't find any settings for the remote itself.

It found my WiFi access point and SS itself, found the libraries, shows the album art, etc. I'm impressed.

Pat

Patrick Dixon
2007-09-19, 02:21
Can you update slimserver and try again, I think this should be fixed now.

Hi Richard

Unfortunately, there are also now no options on the Software Update page - so I think I'm dead in the water.

I have no options under Choose Player and no options under Software Update.

I've updated Slimserver and factory reset the Jive handset.

I can ssh in - can I update the firmware that way?

bpa
2007-09-19, 02:38
I have seen this when no options appear on the update page and I have been trying to isolate it.

First - make sure there is a jive_1rXXX.bin (or something like that) in your cache directory - it gets downloaded a few minutes after SS startup.

I found that as long as there is a jive bin file in the cache then restart SS and Jive and then wait for a couple of minutes and then go into the update menu - the server option appears.

The alternative would be to use an SD card if you have one.

Patrick Dixon
2007-09-19, 03:03
Note sure where the cache directory is but I've searched for jive_1r in the server and nothing comes up. I have waited several minutes though ...

I updated OK before, and the option had disappeared before I updated slimserver after that.

BTW, AlienBBC doesn't seem to work on 7 ??? It just doesn't seem to appear in any of the menus although there appears to be a plugin directory dedicated to it.

rtitmuss
2007-09-19, 03:16
I have seen this when no options appear on the update page and I have been trying to isolate it.

You won't see any options if Jive has not connected to a player. From the main menu, use "Choose Player" to select one of the players, then you should find you'll have an option to upgrade from the server.

rtitmuss
2007-09-19, 03:19
Ah Patrick I just re-read your post and see you have no options under Choose Player. Make sure you have a Squeezebox or Softsqueeze connected to your slimserver, then you should see some options in that menu.

Patrick Dixon
2007-09-19, 03:19
You won't see any options if Jive has not connected to a player. From the main menu, use "Choose Player" to select one of the players, then you should find you'll have an option to upgrade from the server.

So I'm kind-of in a chicken and egg situation?

The firmware is broken so I can't see any players in Choose Player, and I can't update firmware if I haven't chosen a player.

So what do I do?

Patrick Dixon
2007-09-19, 03:20
Ah Patrick I just re-read your post and see you have no options under Choose Player. Make sure you have a Squeezebox or Softsqueeze connected to your slimserver, then you should see some options in that menu.

See previous posts - 2 SB3s connected - no options under Choose Player

rtitmuss
2007-09-19, 03:27
Hmm, I need to understand what's gone wrong here. What version of slimserver and the jive firmware are you running? What are the ip addresses of your slimserver and jive?

bpa
2007-09-19, 03:40
Re: AlienBBC

There is a new version of AlienBBC for recent SS 7.0 (the website version for 6.5/7.0 was for the earlier 7.0).

A beta release should be made shortly but I think the windows installer needs to be checked.

What OS are you using ?

The cache dir depends on your system but the top directory has the name "Cache" and there is a subdirectory "FileCache".

I've had similar experience to you with no players showing up and I've also had 2 and 3 "Choose Player" menu options appearing but I find it hard to repeat the problems reliably. Usually a clean restart of SS and removing battery from Jive helped but that was with older firmware so I think your problem may be different.

Patrick Dixon
2007-09-19, 04:08
Hmm, I need to understand what's gone wrong here. What version of slimserver and the jive firmware are you running? What are the ip addresses of your slimserver and jive?

VERSION INFO

SlimServer Version: 7.0 - 13098 - Debian - EN - utf8
Server IP address: 192.168.1.99
Perl Version: 5.8.8 x86_64-linux-gnu-thread-multi
MySQL Version: 5.0.38-Ubuntu_0ubuntu1

About Jive

Version 1 r484
sdi@padbuild #37 Tue Sep 18 01:26:41 PDT 2007

MAC Address 00:13:E0:A1:DF:0B

IP 192.168.1.107

I can connect via SSH.

I have never had any Players on the Choose Player page, but I did originally have the option to update the firmware. I've had no problems connecting to the wireless network (which has no security on it at all).

Patrick Dixon
2007-09-19, 04:12
Re: AlienBBC

There is a new version of AlienBBC for recent SS 7.0 (the website version for 6.5/7.0 was for the earlier 7.0).

A beta release should be made shortly but I think the windows installer needs to be checked.

What OS are you using ?

The cache dir depends on your system but the top directory has the name "Cache" and there is a subdirectory "FileCache".

I've had similar experience to you with no players showing up and I've also had 2 and 3 "Choose Player" menu options appearing but I find it hard to repeat the problems reliably. Usually a clean restart of SS and removing battery from Jive helped but that was with older firmware so I think your problem may be different.
I'm on ubuntu 7.04 and I updated via apt-get install and the unstable repo from a working 6.5.2. I haven't specifically installed AlienBBC, but there seems to be an Alien directory and sub-directories under slimserver/Plugins, but nothing on the menus or setup page.

I have a slimserver/lib/Cache directory, but it only contains FileBackend.pm

rtitmuss
2007-09-19, 04:23
Patrick, on the Choose Players menu hit the home key. The can you look in either Remote Settings > Advanced Settings > Slimservers or Remote Settings > Music Sources (the menu was move and renamed yesterday not sure which you'll have).

Do you see your slimserver listed? If not can you enter it in the Other Server menu, then return to the home menu and check Choose Players again.

Also check you slimserver for errors when it starts, it might be running but some Jive specific parts are failing.

Patrick Dixon
2007-09-19, 04:48
Patrick, on the Choose Players menu hit the home key. The can you look in either Remote Settings > Advanced Settings > Slimservers or Remote Settings > Music Sources (the menu was move and renamed yesterday not sure which you'll have).

Do you see your slimserver listed? If not can you enter it in the Other Server menu, then return to the home menu and check Choose Players again.

Also check you slimserver for errors when it starts, it might be running but some Jive specific parts are failing.
Yes it sees my slimserver and gives me the IP Address and Version 7.0 - when I first looked at this menu yesterday, there was more info listed which doesn't seem to be there now.

log from this am:-

2007-09-19 10:03:28 slimserver_safe started.
[10:03:35.0381] main::init (265) SlimServer OS Specific init...
[10:03:35.0389] main::init (294) SlimServer settings effective user and group if requested...
[10:03:35.0395] main::init (304) SlimServer strings init...
[10:03:35.0466] Slim::Utils::Strings::loadStrings (157) Loading string file: /usr/share/slimserver/strings.txt
[10:03:35.5562] Slim::Utils::Strings::loadStrings (157) Loading string file: /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Plugin/RhapsodyDirect/strings.txt
[10:03:35.5701] Slim::Utils::Strings::loadStrings (157) Loading string file: /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Plugin/Visualizer/strings.txt
[10:03:35.5728] Slim::Utils::Strings::loadStrings (157) Loading string file: /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Plugin/DigitalInput/strings.txt
[10:03:35.5828] Slim::Utils::Strings::loadStrings (157) Loading string file: /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Plugin/Rescan/strings.txt
[10:03:35.5873] Slim::Utils::Strings::loadStrings (157) Loading string file: /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Plugin/RPC/strings.txt
[10:03:35.5887] Slim::Utils::Strings::loadStrings (157) Loading string file: /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Plugin/Jive/strings.txt
[10:03:35.5905] Slim::Utils::Strings::loadStrings (157) Loading string file: /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Plugin/RadioTime/strings.txt
[10:03:35.5931] Slim::Utils::Strings::loadStrings (157) Loading string file: /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Plugin/RSSNews/strings.txt
[10:03:35.6011] Slim::Utils::Strings::loadStrings (157) Loading string file: /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Plugin/Rhapsody/strings.txt
[10:03:35.6056] Slim::Utils::Strings::loadStrings (157) Loading string file: /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Plugin/Snow/strings.txt
[10:03:35.6128] Slim::Utils::Strings::loadStrings (157) Loading string file: /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Plugin/SlimTris/strings.txt
[10:03:35.6145] Slim::Utils::Strings::loadStrings (157) Loading string file: /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Plugin/xPL/strings.txt
[10:03:35.6197] Slim::Utils::Strings::loadStrings (157) Loading string file: /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Plugin/SavePlaylist/strings.txt
[10:03:35.6241] Slim::Utils::Strings::loadStrings (157) Loading string file: /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Plugin/RS232/strings.txt
[10:03:35.6263] Slim::Utils::Strings::loadStrings (157) Loading string file: /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Plugin/LMA/strings.txt
[10:03:35.6283] Slim::Utils::Strings::loadStrings (157) Loading string file: /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Plugin/MP3tunes/strings.txt
[10:03:35.6333] Slim::Utils::Strings::loadStrings (157) Loading string file: /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Plugin/Health/strings.txt
[10:03:35.6579] Slim::Utils::Strings::loadStrings (157) Loading string file: /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Plugin/CLI/strings.txt
[10:03:35.6681] Slim::Utils::Strings::loadStrings (157) Loading string file: /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Plugin/iTunes/strings.txt
[10:03:35.6793] Slim::Utils::Strings::loadStrings (157) Loading string file: /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Plugin/ShoutcastBrowser/strings.txt
[10:03:35.6815] Slim::Utils::Strings::loadStrings (157) Loading string file: /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Plugin/RandomPlay/strings.txt
[10:03:35.6902] Slim::Utils::Strings::loadStrings (157) Loading string file: /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Plugin/PreventStandby/strings.txt
[10:03:35.6919] Slim::Utils::Strings::loadStrings (157) Loading string file: /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Plugin/Favorites/strings.txt
[10:03:35.6954] Slim::Utils::Strings::loadStrings (157) Loading string file: /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Plugin/RadioIO/strings.txt
[10:03:35.6996] Slim::Utils::Strings::loadStrings (157) Loading string file: /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Plugin/InfoBrowser/strings.txt
[10:03:35.7018] Slim::Utils::Strings::loadStrings (157) Loading string file: /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Plugin/DateTime/strings.txt
[10:03:35.7044] Slim::Utils::Strings::loadStrings (157) Loading string file: /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Plugin/Pandora/strings.txt
[10:03:35.7236] Slim::Utils::Strings::loadStrings (157) Loading string file: /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Plugin/Podcast/strings.txt
[10:03:35.7272] Slim::Utils::Strings::loadStrings (157) Loading string file: /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Plugin/Live365/strings.txt
[10:03:35.7442] Slim::Utils::Strings::loadStrings (157) Loading string file: /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Plugin/MusicMagic/strings.txt
[10:03:35.7677] Slim::Utils::Strings::loadStrings (157) Loading string file: /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Plugin/Picks/strings.txt
[10:03:35.7702] Slim::Utils::Strings::loadStrings (164) Storing string cache: /var/cache/slimserver/stringcache
[10:03:35.8299] main::init (307) SlimServer MySQL init...
[10:03:37.2180] main::init (310) Firmware init...
[10:03:37.2502] main::init (313) SlimServer Info init...
[10:03:38.1399] main::init (316) SlimServer IR init...
[10:03:38.1873] main::init (319) SlimServer Request init...
[10:03:38.1992] main::init (322) SlimServer Buttons init...
[10:03:38.2050] main::init (325) SlimServer Graphic Fonts init...
[10:03:41.9507] main::init (333) UDP init...
[10:03:42.0193] main::init (336) Slimproto Init...
[10:03:42.0226] main::init (339) mDNS init...
[10:03:42.0237] main::init (342) Async Networking init...
[10:03:42.1214] main::init (345) Cache init...
[10:03:42.3053] main::init (358) SlimServer HTTP init...
[10:03:42.3160] main::init (361) Source conversion init..
[10:03:42.3309] main::init (366) SlimServer Web Settings init...
[10:03:42.5010] main::init (370) SlimServer Plugins init...
[10:03:42.9568] Slim::Utils::Misc::findbin (153) Didn't find binary for mDNSResponderPosix
[10:03:42.9576] Slim::Networking::mDNS::startAdvertising (110) Error: Couldn't find mDNSResponderPosix binary! Aborting!
[10:03:43.4020] Slim::Formats::RemoteStream::open (96) Can't open socket to [localhost:10002]: 111: Connection refused
[10:03:43.4028] Slim::Plugin::MusicMagic::Plugin::initPlugin (139) Can't connect to port 10002 - MusicMagic disabled.
[10:03:43.4712] Slim::Utils::PluginManager::enablePlugins (326) Couldn't load Slim::Plugin::PreventStandby::Plugin. Error: [-5]
[10:03:43.4719] Slim::Utils::PluginManager::enablePlugins (333) Skipping plugin: Slim::Plugin::RPC::Plugin - disabled
[10:03:43.4724] Slim::Utils::PluginManager::enablePlugins (333) Skipping plugin: Slim::Plugin::RS232::Plugin - disabled
[10:03:43.9994] Slim::Utils::PluginManager::enablePlugins (333) Skipping plugin: Slim::Plugin::xPL::Plugin - disabled
[10:03:44.1547] main::init (379) SlimServer checkDataSource...
[10:03:45.0644] main::init (383) SlimServer persist playlists...
[10:03:45.0657] main::init (394) SlimServer HTTP enable...
[10:03:45.0685] main::init (398) mDNS startAdvertising...
[10:03:45.0705] Slim::Utils::Misc::findbin (153) Didn't find binary for mDNSResponderPosix
[10:03:45.0711] Slim::Networking::mDNS::startAdvertising (110) Error: Couldn't find mDNSResponderPosix binary! Aborting!
[10:03:45.0717] main::init (404) SlimServer done init...
[10:03:52.0197] Slim::Utils::Cache::cleanup (204) Cache purge: FileCache - skipping, purged recently
[10:03:52.1171] Slim::Utils::Cache::cleanup (204) Cache purge: Artwork - skipping, purged recently

Patrick Dixon
2007-09-19, 04:52
I have now found /var/cache/slimserver which contains jive_1_r484.bin

rtitmuss
2007-09-19, 04:57
Very strange, nothing obviously wrong so far.

So let's try this, log in to Jive using SSH. Then at the shell kill and restart the jive application, for example:

# ps | grep jive | head -1
36 root 21825 S /usr/bin/jive
# kill 36
# cd /usr/bin
# ./jive

Your process number won't be 36, it will more likely to be around 60 or 70. Then navigate to the Choose Player menu, and post the debug output log.

Patrick Dixon
2007-09-19, 05:30
Very strange, nothing obviously wrong so far.

So let's try this, log in to Jive using SSH. Then at the shell kill and restart the jive application, for example:

# ps | grep jive | head -1
36 root 21825 S /usr/bin/jive
# kill 36
# cd /usr/bin
# ./jive

Your process number won't be 36, it will more likely to be around 60 or 70. Then navigate to the Choose Player menu, and post the debug output log.

# ./jive

Jive 1 r484

Loading: jive.JiveMain
jivebsp motion:: No such file or directory
031157:5403 WARN (SqueezeboxJiveApplet.lua:430) - setPowerState=active
031157:5412 WARN (SqueezeboxJiveApplet.lua:479) - interval=10000
031158:5980 WARN (SlimServers.lua:198) - calling discover
031159:7207 WARN (AppletManager.lua:522) - AppletManager:_freeApplet(SetupWallpaper)
031159:7255 WARN (SlimServers.lua:218) - sending to address 255.255.255.255
SDL_event_queue > 5 : 7
SDL_event_queue > 5 : 6
031159:7393 WARN (SlimServers.lua:218) - sending to address 255.255.255.255
031201:8779 WARN (SlimServer.lua:71) - SlimServer {mediaserver} is connected
error in event function:
/usr/share/jive/jive/slim/SlimServer.lua:196: attempt to compare number with string
stack traceback:
/usr/share/jive/jive/slim/SlimServer.lua:196: in function 'func'
/usr/share/jive/jive/slim/SlimServer.lua:115: in function 'func'
/usr/share/jive/jive/net/Comet.lua:277: in function 'sink'
/usr/share/jive/jive/net/Socket.lua:115: in function 'msg'
/usr/share/jive/jive/net/NetworkThread.lua:260: in function 'idle'
/usr/share/jive/jive/net/NetworkThread.lua:326: in function </usr/share/jive/jive/net/NetworkThread.lua:325>
[C 0x101a8]: ?
[C 0x103c8]: ?
[C 0x10d60]: in function 'processEvents'
/usr/share/jive/jive/JiveMain.lua:246: in function </usr/share/jive/jive/JiveMain.lua:169>
(tail call): ?
/usr/share/jive/jive/JiveMain.lua:307: in main chunk
[C 0x3a490]: ?
[C 0xedb4]: ?
031201:9401 WARN (SlimServers.lua:218) - sending to address 255.255.255.255
update_screen > 50ms: 331ms [layout:266ms animate:0ms draw:62ms flip:3ms]
031205:12750 WARN (SlimServers.lua:218) - sending to address 255.255.255.255
update_screen > 50ms: 65ms [layout:0ms animate:0ms draw:55ms flip:10ms]
update_screen > 50ms: 58ms [layout:0ms animate:0ms draw:42ms flip:16ms]
update_screen > 50ms: 52ms [layout:0ms animate:0ms draw:45ms flip:7ms]
update_screen > 50ms: 53ms [layout:0ms animate:0ms draw:46ms flip:7ms]
update_screen > 50ms: 100ms [layout:40ms animate:0ms draw:43ms flip:17ms]
031209:16758 WARN (SlimServers.lua:218) - sending to address 255.255.255.255
031209:16977 WARN (SqueezeboxJiveApplet.lua:430) - setPowerState=dimmed
031209:17011 WARN (SqueezeboxJiveApplet.lua:479) - interval=60000
031214:21767 WARN (SlimServers.lua:218) - sending to address 255.255.255.255
031220:27783 WARN (SlimServers.lua:218) - sending to address 255.255.255.255
031227:34797 WARN (SlimServers.lua:218) - sending to address 255.255.255.255
031235:42813 WARN (SlimServers.lua:218) - sending to address 255.255.255.255
031244:51833 WARN (SlimServers.lua:218) - sending to address 255.255.255.255
update_screen > 50ms: 98ms [layout:50ms animate:0ms draw:40ms flip:8ms]
update_screen > 50ms: 84ms [layout:35ms animate:0ms draw:39ms flip:10ms]
031254:61850 WARN (SlimServers.lua:218) - sending to address 255.255.255.255
error in event function:
/usr/share/jive/jive/slim/SlimServer.lua:196: attempt to compare number with string
stack traceback:
/usr/share/jive/jive/net/NetworkThread.lua:326: in function </usr/share/jive/jive/net/NetworkThread.lua:325>
/usr/share/jive/jive/JiveMain.lua:246: in function </usr/share/jive/jive/JiveMain.lua:169>
031305:72863 WARN (SlimServers.lua:218) - sending to address 255.255.255.255
031309:77027 WARN (SqueezeboxJiveApplet.lua:430) - setPowerState=sleep
031309:77045 WARN (SqueezeboxJiveApplet.lua:479) - interval=300000
update_screen > 50ms: 117ms [layout:74ms animate:0ms draw:39ms flip:4ms]
031317:84877 WARN (SlimServers.lua:218) - sending to address 255.255.255.255
update_screen > 50ms: 91ms [layout:33ms animate:0ms draw:42ms flip:16ms]
031330:97893 WARN (SlimServers.lua:218) - sending to address 255.255.255.255
031344:111902 WARN (SlimServers.lua:218) - sending to address 255.255.255.255

Patrick Dixon
2007-09-19, 05:35
here's a snip from when I navigate to the software update screen:-

update_screen > 50ms: 64ms [layout:34ms animate:0ms draw:22ms flip:8ms]
error in event function:
stack traceback:
update_screen > 50ms: 78ms [layout:0ms animate:0ms draw:76ms flip:2ms]
update_screen > 50ms: 90ms [layout:0ms animate:0ms draw:76ms flip:14ms]
031808:376212 WARN (SetupFirmwareUpgradeApplet.lua:78) - upgradeUrl=false
process_event > 50ms: 189ms [widget:SimpleMenu() event:Event(type=)]
process_event > 50ms: 198ms [widget:Window(Advanced Settings) event:Event(type=KEY_PRESS code=1)]
update_screen > 50ms: 61ms [layout:8ms animate:0ms draw:40ms flip:13ms]
update_screen > 50ms: 59ms [layout:0ms animate:0ms draw:42ms flip:17ms]
update_screen > 50ms: 57ms [layout:0ms animate:0ms draw:41ms flip:16ms]
update_screen > 50ms: 54ms [layout:0ms animate:0ms draw:40ms flip:14ms]
update_screen > 50ms: 81ms [layout:0ms animate:0ms draw:75ms flip:6ms]
031817:385061 WARN (SlimServers.lua:218) - sending to address 255.255.255.255
031818:386306 WARN (SqueezeboxJiveApplet.lua:430) - setPowerState=dimmed
031818:386333 WARN (SqueezeboxJiveApplet.lua:479) - interval=60000

Patrick Dixon
2007-09-19, 05:37
If you'd like access via ssh to play around yourself, email me so that I can set it up for you

<firstname>@<lastname>.flyer.co.uk

rtitmuss
2007-09-19, 06:14
ok, i see the error now but i don't yet understand what's gone wrong. one last request, can you enable the network.cometd debug in slimserver and post the slimserver logs when jive connects.

if that does not help i'll take you up on the ssh offer.

cheers,
Richard

Patrick Dixon
2007-09-19, 06:41
[14:36:43.9764] Slim::Web::Cometd::requestCallback (569) requestCallback got results for eec07802e2c18e440aa39827c757d81fac04efd9 / /meta/subscribe / /slim/serverstatus
[14:36:44.1204] Slim::Web::Cometd::Manager::deliver_events (150) Delivering events to eec07802e2c18e440aa39827c757d81fac04efd9:
[
{
channel => "/slim/serverstatus",
data => {
# tied Tie::IxHash
"info total albums" => 2084,
"info total artists" => 886,
"info total genres" => 141,
"info total songs" => 30209,
"player count" => 2,
players_loop => [
{
connected => 1,
displaytype => "graphic-320x32",
ip => "192.168.1.100:23187",
model => "squeezebox2",
name => "192.168.1.100",
playerid => "00:04:20:12:43:a9",
power => 1,
},
{
connected => 1,
ip => "192.168.1.104:34290",
model => "squeezebox2",
name => "Wired SB+",
playerid => "00:04:20:05:a8:02",
power => 0,
},
],
version => "7.0",
},
id => undef,
timestamp => "Wed, 19 Sep 2007 13:36:43 GMT",
},
]
[14:36:44.1353] Slim::Web::Cometd::sendResponse (476) Sending Cometd chunk:
[{"timestamp":"Wed, 19 Sep 2007 13:36:43 GMT","channel":"/slim/serverstatus","id":null,"data":{"info total songs":"30209","info total albums":"2084","player count":"2","info total genres":"141","version":"7.0","players_loop":[{"playerid":"00:04:20:12:43:a9","displaytype":"graphic-320x32","connected":"1","ip":"192.168.1.100:23187","power":"1","model":"squeezebox2","name":"192.168.1.100"},{"playerid":"00:04:20:05:a8:02","displaytype":"graphic-320x32","connected":"1","ip":"192.168.1.104:34290","power":"0","model":"squeezebox2","name":"Wired SB+"}],"info total artists":"886"}}]
[14:36:57.2769] Slim::Web::Cometd::closeHandler (604) Lost connection, clid: eec07802e2c18e440aa39827c757d81fac04efd9, transport: streaming
[14:37:07.2800] Slim::Web::Cometd::disconnectClient (622) Disconnect for eec07802e2c18e440aa39827c757d81fac04efd9, removing subscriptions
[14:37:16.2463] Slim::Web::Cometd::handler (118) Cometd request: [
{
channel => "/meta/handshake",
"supportedConnectionTypes" => ["streaming"],
version => "1.0",
},
]
[14:37:16.2516] Slim::Web::Cometd::sendResponse (469) Sending Cometd Response:
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Cache-Control: no-cache
Pragma: no-cache
Content-Length: 224
Content-Type: application/json
Expires: -1

[{"supportedConnectionTypes":["long-polling","streaming"],"clientId":"2fd2028ee8b8b360aa4d8624a62e5c09d83c2320","version":"1.0","channel":"/meta/handshake","successful":true,"advice":{"reconnect":"retry","interval":"5000"}}]
[14:37:16.4284] Slim::Web::Cometd::handler (118) Cometd request: [
{
channel => "/meta/connect",
clientId => "2fd2028ee8b8b360aa4d8624a62e5c09d83c2320",
connectionType => "streaming",
},
{
channel => "/meta/subscribe",
clientId => "2fd2028ee8b8b360aa4d8624a62e5c09d83c2320",
ext => { "slim.request" => ["", ["serverstatus", 0, 50, "subscribe:60"]] },
subscription => "/slim/serverstatus",
},
]
[14:37:16.7396] Slim::Web::Cometd::handleRequest (544) Request for /meta/subscribe / /slim/serverstatus is not async
[14:37:16.7489] Slim::Web::Cometd::sendResponse (469) Sending Cometd Response:
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Cache-Control: no-cache
Pragma: no-cache
Transfer-Encoding: chunked
Content-Type: application/json
Expires: -1

[{"clientId":"2fd2028ee8b8b360aa4d8624a62e5c09d83c2320","timestamp":"Wed, 19 Sep 2007 13:37:16 GMT","channel":"/meta/connect","successful":true},{"clientId":"2fd2028ee8b8b360aa4d8624a62e5c09d83c2320","channel":"/meta/subscribe","successful":true,"subscription":"/slim/serverstatus","ext":{"slim.request":["",["serverstatus","0","50","subscribe:60"]]}},{"timestamp":"Wed, 19 Sep 2007 13:37:16 GMT","channel":"/slim/serverstatus","id":null,"data":{"info total songs":"30209","info total albums":"2084","player count":"2","info total genres":"141","version":"7.0","players_loop":[{"playerid":"00:04:20:12:43:a9","displaytype":"graphic-320x32","connected":"1","ip":"192.168.1.100:23187","power":"1","model":"squeezebox2","name":"192.168.1.100"},{"playerid":"00:04:20:05:a8:02","displaytype":"graphic-320x32","connected":"1","ip":"192.168.1.104:34290","power":"0","model":"squeezebox2","name":"Wired SB+"}],"info total artists":"886"}}]
[14:38:17.1282] Slim::Web::Cometd::requestCallback (569) requestCallback got results for 2fd2028ee8b8b360aa4d8624a62e5c09d83c2320 / /meta/subscribe / /slim/serverstatus
[14:38:17.1596] Slim::Web::Cometd::Manager::deliver_events (150) Delivering events to 2fd2028ee8b8b360aa4d8624a62e5c09d83c2320:
[
{
data => {
"player count" => 2,
players_loop => [
{
connected => 1,
model => "squeezebox2",
name => "192.168.1.100",
power => 1,
},
{
connected => 1,
model => "squeezebox2",
name => "Wired SB+",
power => 0,
},
],
version => "7.0",
},
id => undef,
timestamp => "Wed, 19 Sep 2007 13:38:17 GMT",
},
]
[14:38:17.1782] Slim::Web::Cometd::sendResponse (476) Sending Cometd chunk:
[{"timestamp":"Wed, 19 Sep 2007 13:38:17 GMT","channel":"/slim/serverstatus","id":null,"data":{"info total songs":"30209","info total albums":"2084","player count":"2","info total genres":"141","version":"7.0","players_loop":[{"playerid":"00:04:20:12:43:a9","displaytype":"graphic-320x32","connected":"1","ip":"192.168.1.100:23187","power":"1","model":"squeezebox2","name":"192.168.1.100"},{"playerid":"00:04:20:05:a8:02","displaytype":"graphic-320x32","connected":"1","ip":"192.168.1.104:34290","power":"0","model":"squeezebox2","name":"Wired SB+"}],"info total artists":"886"}}]
[14:39:17.5989] Slim::Web::Cometd::requestCallback (569) requestCallback got results for 2fd2028ee8b8b360aa4d8624a62e5c09d83c2320 / /meta/subscribe / /slim/serverstatus

Patrick Dixon
2007-09-19, 06:41
contd ...

[14:39:17.6349] Slim::Web::Cometd::Manager::deliver_events (150) Delivering events to 2fd2028ee8b8b360aa4d8624a62e5c09d83c2320:
[
{
data => {
"player count" => 2,
players_loop => [
{
connected => 1,
model => "squeezebox2",
name => "192.168.1.100",
power => 1,
},
{
connected => 1,
model => "squeezebox2",
name => "Wired SB+",
power => 0,
},
],
version => "7.0",
},
id => undef,
timestamp => "Wed, 19 Sep 2007 13:39:17 GMT",
},
]
[14:39:17.6395] Slim::Web::Cometd::sendResponse (476) Sending Cometd chunk:
[{"timestamp":"Wed, 19 Sep 2007 13:39:17 GMT","channel":"/slim/serverstatus","id":null,"data":{"info total songs":"30209","info total albums":"2084","player count":"2","info total genres":"141","version":"7.0","players_loop":[{"playerid":"00:04:20:12:43:a9","displaytype":"graphic-320x32","connected":"1","ip":"192.168.1.100:23187","power":"1","model":"squeezebox2","name":"192.168.1.100"},{"playerid":"00:04:20:05:a8:02","displaytype":"graphic-320x32","connected":"1","ip":"192.168.1.104:34290","power":"0","model":"squeezebox2","name":"Wired SB+"}],"info total artists":"886"}}]

bklaas
2007-09-19, 07:44
Hi Patrick-

first, sorry to hear you're having such a rough start with this.

Richard, Andy and I have been discussing your issue, and we're fairly convinced that the issue is on the Slimserver side. The theory is that one or more of the CPAN modules that the Debian repos installs is the wrong version for what slimserver needs.

can you run
perl -MJSON\ 999

and report back the output?

The consensus is that it might be worthwhile to try running (even temporarily) slimserver from a straight subversion checkout rather than from the debian repository. This would be a (hopefully) easy way to isolate where the issue resides.

I'm going to send you an email for ssh access and we can discuss options further.

cheers,
#!/ben

Patrick Dixon
2007-09-19, 08:05
Hi Patrick-

first, sorry to hear you're having such a rough start with this.

Richard, Andy and I have been discussing your issue, and we're fairly convinced that the issue is on the Slimserver side. The theory is that one or more of the CPAN modules that the Debian repos installs is the wrong version for what slimserver needs.

can you run
perl -MJSON\ 999

and report back the output?

The consensus is that it might be worthwhile to try running (even temporarily) slimserver from a straight subversion checkout rather than from the debian repository. This would be a (hopefully) easy way to isolate where the issue resides.

I'm going to send you an email for ssh access and we can discuss options further.

cheers,
#!/benNo problem - it's what beta testing is about!

I think it's also worthwhile debugging the ubuntu packaging issues too, I know windows has to be the focus, but ubuntu seems to be gaining a bit in popularity these days.

$ perl -MJSON\ 999
JSON version 999 required--this is only version 1.00.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted.

bklaas
2007-09-19, 08:48
Ubuntu is important to us, so don't worry about that. These debian issues will need to get fixed, and this helped us identify a fairly serious issue with module dependencies.

Libjson 1.00 is a couple of years old. The debian repository is sadly behind for this module.

Andy is going to look at including our CPAN directory (that has the correct modules) in our package, thus circumventing the dependency to debian's out-of-date libjson. Stay tuned on that.

In the meantime, my best suggestion at this point is to use a subversion checkout for slimserver. Steps would go something like this (this is off the top of my head):

kill any running slimserver process
cd ~
svn co http://svn.slimdevices.com/repos/slim/trunk
cd trunk/server
sudo perl Bin/build-perl-modules.pl
(follow directions from script)
./slimserver.pl

this potentially will get you to the point of trying out your jive HW while the debian package is being fixed.

cheers,
#!/ben

Patrick Dixon
2007-09-19, 09:15
What about if I pull libjson down from CPAN?

I tried subversion on ubuntu a while back and it was problematic because of the lack of a compatible startup script (never had any problems on Clark Connect which I ran previously). Because this server also runs mythtv for the household, I can't afford too much downtime on it.

bklaas
2007-09-19, 09:25
What about if I pull libjson down from CPAN?

I tried subversion on ubuntu a while back and it was problematic because of the lack of a compatible startup script (never had any problems on Clark Connect which I ran previously). Because this server also runs mythtv for the household, I can't afford too much downtime on it.

try it from CPAN. worth a shot. If it doesn't work, run
perl -MJSON\ 999
again and report the version here.

I'm not sure how having a startup script or not has anything to do with MythTV running or not running. If slimserver doesn't start on boot, how does that effect MythTV? Do you have them doing some communication between each other? I like working startup scripts too, just don't understand how that makes a difference here.

Regardless, I wasn't really suggesting the subversion checkout as anything but a workaround for now as we get the Debian package fixed. Your call on that one.

#!/ben

kdf
2007-09-19, 09:34

I run Knoppmyth, which is based on debian (as is Ubuntu). I've been using svn with the startup, defaults and directory structure used here:
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?DebianStartupScript3

The .deb for SS was based on these, but using them yourself is a bit less rigid than what the .deb does to your system. I had no troubles with apt-get install subversion
-kdf

Patrick Dixon
2007-09-19, 09:50
Ben, it was more that things crashing tend to have a bit of a knock on effect ... for example, the multiple slimserver-safe starts on install did terrible things to system throughput and mythtv froze as a result.

Anyway, I'm now on JSON 1.14 via CPAN and I have a choice of Players!!! Thanks all for your help, I'm sure I can break some more things once I start to play with it ...

7 looks good - although I do have a minor fishbone bug for kevin ;-) In Album view, if you click on an album with no artwork, the close frame X gets lost behind the track data and you can't close the new frame (Firefox). Do you want me to open a bug for it?

kdf
2007-09-19, 09:59
Bug report isn't really needed, as it's on my list. To be frank, the main reason it isn't fixed is that I'm still not sure I want to keep it. It slow, and it isn't in keeping with where the UI seems to be going.

-kdf

Patrick Dixon
2007-09-19, 10:11
Oh, OK. It doesn't seem too slow on my system, and I thought the fishbone changes in general slicken it up, but I guess there's new default skins and jive and stuff.

kdf
2007-09-19, 10:41
The fishbone skin is also relying on stuff that was added to the basic skin (album popup, tree-like browse, drag&drop with the idea that other skins would make use of it. However, it's all based on prototype and scriptaculous. Everything being done now uses extjs. Loading both isn't always giving good results.

-kdf