PDA

View Full Version : Supplier in UK for Slim Remote?



Ian Crockford
2004-01-14, 16:51
Hi,

Does anyone have a suggestion of a UK-based supplier for the "new"-style
Slim remote? The postage charges more than doubles the cost if ordered from
Slim Devices directly...

Thanks,

Ian

Dan Sully
2004-01-14, 19:53
* David Ranch <dranch (AT) trinnet (DOT) net> shaped the electrons to say...

> FLAC? - open (good) but larger file footprint (bad)
> Monkey?
> Shorten?

FLAC currently has the most support on the Squeezebox.

It's also the easiest to implement in hardware.

The Rio Karma, and the PHATbox both support FLAC.

Shorten is dying in favor of FLAC. It also has no tagging mechanism.

Monkey hasn't gained enough popularity yet.

-D
--
God, root, what is difference?

Scott Haug
2004-01-14, 19:59
Wednesday, January 14, 2004, 6:53:07 PM, Dan wrote:

DS> * David Ranch <dranch (AT) trinnet (DOT) net> shaped the electrons to say...

DS> Monkey hasn't gained enough popularity yet.

Also, isn't Monkey windows only? For a linux SMP box, wouldn't that be
a showstopper right there?

Plus, there were mention of plans to get FLAC natively supported in
the squeezebox itself. Which means all the quality, but at ~half the
bandwidth.

-Scott

Tim Morley
2004-01-15, 00:58
http://www.multitask-computing.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=3&products_id=58

----- Original Message -----
From: Ian Crockford
To: 'SlimDevices Discussion'
Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 11:51 PM
Subject: [slim] Supplier in UK for Slim Remote?


Hi,

Does anyone have a suggestion of a UK-based supplier for the "new"-style Slim remote? The postage charges more than doubles the cost if ordered from Slim Devices directly...

Thanks,

Ian


------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Caleb Epstein
2004-01-15, 07:01
On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 06:53:07PM -0800, Dan Sully wrote:

> * David Ranch <dranch (AT) trinnet (DOT) net> shaped the electrons to say...
>
> > FLAC? - open (good) but larger file footprint (bad) Monkey?
> > Shorten?

Larger than what? FLAC compressed better than SHN, but not as
well as MAC. I've converted all my SHN files to FLAC and
saved a healthy chunk of disk space in the process (and added
tags which is fantastic for Squeeze use)

> Shorten is dying in favor of FLAC. It also has no tagging mechanism.

The seeking is also a total hack and there are no built-in
checksums in Shorten files. Basically, you can get an
incomplete or corrupted file and never know it.

> Monkey hasn't gained enough popularity yet.

Monkey's is actually the fastest (on Win32) due to assembler
routines. Source code is available, and I have compiled MAC
on Linux and tested it to work, but its not as fast as on
Windows because the ASM routines are not enabled. It ought to
be relatively easy to add MAC support to the SlimServer, if
there was any call for it.

Monkey's is the best codec in terms of size of output and
speed of encoding *on Windows*. I believe it is also the only
one which supports higher bit-depths and sample-rates than
16/48k; FLAC should support these at some point but IIRC it
does not yet. Thats a big deal if you are a laptop-taper and
record "high-res" audio (e.g. 20- or 24-bits per sample, up to
96 kHz sample rate), but if what you are compressing is CD-DA
(16/44.1) its a non-issue.

My advice is to stick with FLAC for the best cross-platform
support and a strong, evolving feature-set.

--
Caleb Epstein | bklyn . org | Lord, what fools these mortals be!
cae at | Brooklyn Dust | -- William Shakespeare,
bklyn dot org | Bunny Mfg. | "A Midsummer-Night's Dream"

T
2004-01-29, 05:59
Hi,

What do I need (books, software) to program in PERL (I've never used it),
particularly as relates to SlimServer?

I've got plenty of experience in c, pascal, and various assembly languages.

Thanks,

Tom

mherger
2004-01-29, 06:17
> What do I need (books, software) to program in PERL (I've never used it),
> particularly as relates to SlimServer?

The "camel book": Programming Perl by Larry Wall, Tom Christiansen &
Randal L. Schwartz. Even better: O'Reilly's Perl Bookshelf on CD.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
http://www.jo-sac.ch/lindenberg - die JO des SAC Lindenberg
http://www.jo-sac.ch - JO-SAC inoffiziell!
http://photo.jo-sac.ch - mein kleines Photoalbum

Jack Coates
2004-01-29, 07:45
On Thu, 2004-01-29 at 05:17, Michael Herger wrote:
> > What do I need (books, software) to program in PERL (I've never used it),
> > particularly as relates to SlimServer?
>
> The "camel book": Programming Perl by Larry Wall, Tom Christiansen &
> Randal L. Schwartz. Even better: O'Reilly's Perl Bookshelf on CD.

Recommendation seconded. I use http://www.safaribooksonline.com/ a lot
too.
--
Jack at Monkeynoodle Dot Org: It's A Scientific Venture...
************************************************** ********************
* "Come on you rambling boys of pleasure and ladies of easy leisure, *
* we must say Adios until we see Almaria once again." *
* -- Fiesta from If I Should Fall From Grace With God by The Pogues *
************************************************** ********************

Caleb Epstein
2004-01-29, 07:56
On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 06:45:06AM -0800, Jack Coates wrote:

> On Thu, 2004-01-29 at 05:17, Michael Herger wrote:
> > > What do I need (books, software) to program in PERL (I've never used it),
> > > particularly as relates to SlimServer?
> >
> > The "camel book": Programming Perl by Larry Wall, Tom Christiansen &
> > Randal L. Schwartz. Even better: O'Reilly's Perl Bookshelf on CD.
>
> Recommendation seconded. I use http://www.safaribooksonline.com/ a lot
> too.

For the first-time Perl programmer, I find the Llama book
(Learning Perl, URL http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/lperl3/)
to be a better starting point.

It is not a very good reference though - hand over your copy to
the next Perl acolyte when you are done with it and get
yourself the Camel book. It'll serve you better in the long
run.

--
Caleb Epstein | bklyn . org | Even historians fail to learn from history --
cae at | Brooklyn Dust | they repeat the same mistakes.
bklyn dot org | Bunny Mfg. | -- John Gill, "Patterns of
| | Force", stardate 2534.7

dean
2004-01-29, 09:05
After Learning Perl and Programming Perl, third book you should buy is
the Perl Pocket Reference:

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/perlpr4/

I even took it on vacation with me. :)

-dean

On Jan 29, 2004, at 6:56 AM, Caleb Epstein wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 06:45:06AM -0800, Jack Coates wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 2004-01-29 at 05:17, Michael Herger wrote:
>>>> What do I need (books, software) to program in PERL (I've never
>>>> used it),
>>>> particularly as relates to SlimServer?
>>>
>>> The "camel book": Programming Perl by Larry Wall, Tom Christiansen &
>>> Randal L. Schwartz. Even better: O'Reilly's Perl Bookshelf on CD.
>>
>> Recommendation seconded. I use http://www.safaribooksonline.com/ a lot
>> too.
>
> For the first-time Perl programmer, I find the Llama book
> (Learning Perl, URL http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/lperl3/)
> to be a better starting point.
>
> It is not a very good reference though - hand over your copy to
> the next Perl acolyte when you are done with it and get
> yourself the Camel book. It'll serve you better in the long
> run.
>
> --
> Caleb Epstein | bklyn . org | Even historians fail to learn from
> history --
> cae at | Brooklyn Dust | they repeat the same mistakes.
> bklyn dot org | Bunny Mfg. | -- John Gill, "Patterns of
> | | Force", stardate 2534.7
>

Roy M. Silvernail
2004-01-29, 09:18
T said:
> Hi,
>
> What do I need (books, software) to program in PERL (I've never used it),
> particularly as relates to SlimServer?

All you need for software is the Perl interpreter (pretty much default for
*nix, ActiveState for Windows) and your favorite text editor. For books,
I recommend Learning Perl
(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0596001320/qid=1075392667/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/002-6904388-8097616?v=glance&s=books)
and/or Programming Perl
(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0596000278/qid=1075392667/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-6904388-8097616?v=glance&s=books)

(beware the word wrap) Once you get into it, check out The Perl Cookbook
for scads of practical snippets.

> I've got plenty of experience in c, pascal, and various assembly
> languages.

The syntax is kinda like C. The variable references are what tripped me
up initially. (@foo is a list and $foo is a scalar, but you access a list
member as $foo[index], not @foo[index], and $foo and @foo are two
different variables that can exist at the same time) It shouldn't take
long to catch on.
--
Roy M. Silvernail is roy (AT) rant-central (DOT) com, and you're not
http://www.rant-central.com is the new scytale
Never Forget: It's Only 1's and 0's!
SpamAssassin->procmail->/dev/null->bliss

T
2004-01-29, 09:19
Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Tom

Caleb Epstein
2004-01-29, 09:21
On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 08:05:38AM -0800, dean blackketter wrote:

> After Learning Perl and Programming Perl, third book you should buy
> is the Perl Pocket Reference:
> http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/perlpr4/ I even took it on vacation
> with me. :) -dean

Wow, sounds like one FUN vacation! :-)

--
Caleb Epstein | bklyn . org | If the ends don't justify the means, then
cae at | Brooklyn Dust | what does?
bklyn dot org | Bunny Mfg. | -- Robert Moses