PDA

View Full Version : Can I get a consistent volume?

Ray70
2007-08-31, 02:28
I use the shuffle by Artist and Genre quite a lot on my SB3. However, I'm constantly having to adjust the volume up / down due to the differences in recording levels between different albums.

Is there anything I can do about this?

mherger
2007-08-31, 02:38
> I use the shuffle by Artist and Genre quite a lot on my SB3. However,
> I'm constantly having to adjust the volume up / down due to the
> differences in recording levels between different albums.

The keyword is "replaygain". See for example the corresponding part in
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?Mp3tagGuide

Or search these forums.

Michael

mflint
2007-08-31, 03:52
As Michael says, Replaygain is what you need. I've added replaygain to everything in my library (using a nightly "add replaygain" script).

It's good, but I'm afraid not perfect, as there still are volume differences occasionally. So while Replaygain may allow playback volume to be adjusted so the peak volumes are consistent, it's not the same as normalising my perception of volume.

I don't understand why :(

jeebers
2007-08-31, 05:47
As Michael says, Replaygain is what you need. I've added replaygain to everything in my library (using a nightly "add replaygain" script).

It's good, but I'm afraid not perfect, as there still are volume differences occasionally. So while Replaygain may allow playback volume to be adjusted so the peak volumes are consistent, it's not the same as normalising my perception of volume.

I don't understand why :(

Yes I've also noticed the occasional time when volumes don't seem to match. I'd say it's around 95-98% effective, but it does seem to struggle with certain genres - dub in particular.

It's still a massive improvement though.

Des
2007-08-31, 06:29
Wasn't there also a view that using the volume control feature of the SB3 slightly degraded the sound quality?

mflint
2007-08-31, 06:35
Wasn't there also a view that using the volume control feature of the SB3 slightly degraded the sound quality?

There was - I seem to remember a thread on these forums where someone asserted that any volume adjustment in the digital domain will be lossy. I also seem to remember someone (possibly Sean) explaining at some length about how insignificant it is...

Ray70
2007-08-31, 07:41
Thanks all for your replies, they've been very helpful.

chrisinparis
2007-08-31, 08:45
There was - I seem to remember a thread on these forums where someone asserted that any volume adjustment in the digital domain will be lossy. I also seem to remember someone (possibly Sean) explaining at some length about how insignificant it is...

I remember reading in an online audiophile review of the SB3 (or Transporter) that volume adjustment using the SB3 when using the digital outputs was a bad idea... But I use the analogue outputs (which already sound good to me, until/if I get an external DAC), and the remote volume up/down buttons sure are handy.

Might seek out the thread you refer to though, as I'm a Slim Devices 'believer' (the SB3 is the best and most exciting bit of kit I've had in quite a few years).

Mark Lanctot
2007-08-31, 08:50
Yes I've also noticed the occasional time when volumes don't seem to match. I'd say it's around 95-98% effective, but it does seem to struggle with certain genres - dub in particular.

With me it's any bassy tracks. RG doesn't seem to compensate for the extra impact bass has in terms of perceived volume and under-adjusts bassy tracks.

The worst offender I have is anything by The Smashing Pumpkins. I guess the bass was recorded hot.

Eric Seaberg
2007-08-31, 08:53
If you're on a Mac, there's an application called iVolume at http://www.mani.de/en/software/macosx/ivolume/ that is AWESOME!! You set it to the apparent loudness level you want in dB-SPL and have it process your files with iTunes open. iTunes does have volume checking built-in, but it's pretty bad.

When iVolume is done doing it's business, you set your players to "USE TRACK GAIN" and all is well.

It works....