PDA

View Full Version : Need help for Slimserver on Linkstation

andybr
2007-08-30, 07:45
I'm interested to try out Slimserver on a Linkstation NAS device. I don't know Linux. Following one of the guides I managed to get an old version (6.0.1) running. But my music is mostly OGG files and for that I need 6.5.x. That also introduces MySQL I believe and I can find no step by step guide to installing 6.5.x on a Linkstation. I did try the same procedure for 6.5.4 but got errors as the guide suggested. So

a) can anyone give me a pointer to a guide for installing 6.5.x for the Linkstation? Looks like additionally I will need MySQL installed (have found a V5.045 binary for PPC in gz format) plus I've seen references to needing the PPC-Tools and Expat. I also saw something needed to install some extra CPAN modules (sorry if my terminology is rubbish for Unix people).

b) I'm using an early Linkstation (PPC) using stock firmware. Do I need to change the firmware and am I going to find the PPC device too slow for 6.5 with SQL?

c) do I need a specific version of Perl. The installation guide used for 6.0.1 downloaded a 5.8.5 which is not the latest I gather

Any help here would be appreciated. I'd really rather avoid using my PC as the server but I also don't want to live with an old Slimserver version just because that's the one that there are instructions and binaries/packages for

/Andy

aubuti
2007-08-30, 19:46
I'm interested to try out Slimserver on a Linkstation NAS device. I don't know Linux. Following one of the guides I managed to get an old version (6.0.1) running. But my music is mostly OGG files and for that I need 6.5.x. That also introduces MySQL I believe and I can find no step by step guide to installing 6.5.x on a Linkstation. I did try the same procedure for 6.5.4 but got errors as the guide suggested. So

a) can anyone give me a pointer to a guide for installing 6.5.x for the Linkstation? Looks like additionally I will need MySQL installed (have found a V5.045 binary for PPC in gz format) plus I've seen references to needing the PPC-Tools and Expat. I also saw something needed to install some extra CPAN modules (sorry if my terminology is rubbish for Unix people).
I'm running 6.5.3 on a PPC LinkStation (the HG model, with 128MB RAM and 266MHz PPC processor). Check out these links for guidance on installing MySQL *and* the required libraries.
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=25391
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=26468

b) I'm using an early Linkstation (PPC) using stock firmware. Do I need to change the firmware and am I going to find the PPC device too slow for 6.5 with SQL?
I don't know if you can do it with the stock firmware, because I had to use the FreeLink firmware to get to a command prompt on the HG (see www.linkstationwiki.net for great LinkStation info). An advantage of FreeLink is that you can use the debian apt-get tool to install packages.

As for speed, I have no problems with responsiveness of the remote, but the web ui is fairly slow, and rescans take 30-40 minutes for a library with 4,000 tracks. If you have one of the early LinkStations with only 64MB then you're guaranteed to be using swap space and your results will be slower, possibly much slower, than that. But the music should still play just fine.

c) do I need a specific version of Perl. The installation guide used for 6.0.1 downloaded a 5.8.5 which is not the latest I gather
I think you'll be okay with 5.8.5. I upgraded my perl for other reasons (to use the slimfx skin).

Good luck.

andybr
2007-09-03, 12:02
Thanks for the Freelink suggestion.

After finding no definitive guide anywhere to getting 6.5 to work on the stock firmware on the Linkstation 1 (getting around those missing Perl modules), I was attracted to the apparent simplicity of finding software under Debian using APT-GET. Once I'd taken the plunge to go down that path and flashed the drive then even with no prior knowledge of Linux, I was able to get Slimserver 6.5.4 up and running and re-install Samba so that I got my file server functionality back again.

Still can't get Mplayer to work yet but AlienBBC is installed and working (well apart from the fact you can't actually hear anything due to Mplayer).

/Andy

bpa
2007-09-07, 00:16
There are number of reason why AlienBBC may not work. To get an idea of what s happening get a debug log with d_source enabled when trying to play a station.

Things to check.

1. In Server Settings/Filetypes Only RTSP->WAV is checked (i.e. RTSP->FLAC, RTSP->MP3 are unchecked) as your processor is not powerful enough to decode a RealAudio stream and encode into Flac or MP3 in realtime.
2. Your SB network connection can handle a WAV audio stream
3. mplayer.sh is executable